21 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2019 4:00 PM by kiheiretreat RSS

Ever changing photo view has changed again!

ohst8er Senior Contributor

So I was busy searching my condo, and saw a few things that seemed odd in the search.   Before I reached out to CS I cleared cache and cookies, then searched again.   The odd things I was seeing went away, but I also noticed the view of photos changed.

It used to be when you clicked on a listing you saw the thumbnail, and you could either click the side arrow to shuffle thru each one, OR you could click on the thumbnail for a larger view, THEN click the side arrow to shuffle thru.

I can't post a screen shot here (too large), but the look is, your thumbnail at the top, then a strip (think a strip of negatives from a roll of film) at the bottom, and a little box at the end of the strip that shows this:

Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 8.32.13 AM.png

When you click on "view all 49 photos" you get a VERTICAL strip of photos.  No more clicking to advance each photo, you just scroll your screen up and down and you see each photo in one long strip (WITH CAPTIONS, Yea for that!) 

I've tested this out on my laptop on :  VRBO on Safari and Chrome and get the same view.  On Homeaway.com I get this view on Chrome, but not Safari.  

On my iPhone it is still the click the side arrow to advance.

• Re: Ever changing photo view has changed again!
          3seasbeach Contributor

ohst8er I experienced this "new view" two weeks ago for just a few days, then it went back to the previous view I had before.  Seems they are testing this "new view" randomly.

peg'schoice Contributor

HA is always making IMPROVEMENTS to their programs....they have to.  They got all them $ 150K programmers from AIRBNB.  So they have to justify their salaries with all these great IMPROVEMENTSUGH!!! IT'S KILLING ME.  I Really Hate the rate calculator screen and software.  They took a GREAT rate calculator software (probably the best in the industry) and killed it.  It's soo much harder and confusing to work with.  Thanks for working soo hard to screw-up a great platform.

HI peg'schoice, while this isn't a thread regarding the rates calculator, do you mind if I ask what is it about it that's killing you?

peg'schoice Contributor

I own and manage 5 condos in the Destin Area.  I worked well with the way it was, that you could enter a season and give a daily, weekly and monthly rate on a single "sheet of entry".  Not really dealing with a calendar.  The program would then tell you how the weekly rates and monthly rates translated into daily charges.  So you knew immediately how much difference the daily rates for weekly stays differed from the stand-alone daily rates.  You didn't deal in % discounts for the weekly and monthly stays (I find that really confusing).   Then you had the 1 page print out with everything included (Seasons, time frames, daily, daily with weekly and monthly discounts) all on 1 page.  Wow!!!! how convenient.  Now I don't have that and I'm having to generate my own spread-sheet for each property with the items listed that used to be done with the HA software.  Now I get out a calculator and try to mimic what the "old" HA software did.  It really makes my job a LOT HARDER.  For Example, if I discount 11% for weekly stays, how much is that daily and what is the difference from the standard daily rates. The old software did that immediately.  So I see this as a step in the wrong direction....BIG TIME!  I would think 80% of HA users would be upset.

yea, I don't use discounts, just for that reason.  Sounds messy. 

I personally LIKE the new rates editor much better, but then I only have one property.  I set my rates in blocks, Dec thru Feb is typically one rate (dead season), so I would say, click on Dec 1, then click on feb 28, give it one rate, then set a 3 night minimum and call it a day.

For shoulder seasons I get a little more aggressive, Say, click on March 1 thru May 27, set a Sun-Thurs rate, a Fri-Sat rate, set a 3 day minimum, and again, done.

For PEAK season I click on May 28th (or whenever the Saturday  before memorial day falls), then click the 3rd Saturday in August, set ONE rate for every night, set a 7 night minimum and Saturday check in/check out only, and done. 

The great thing about all these is, if I'm staring at a 5 day hole I want to fill in May, I can just click on those 5 days, adjust the rate up or down, whichever I want to go, and then hope to capture a guest for those 5 days.  If I am looking at only ONE week left in July I'll click on the starting and ending date for that time period, bump the rate UP, and take advantage of peak season to capture more $$ for my bottom line.   I do not use the rate strategy program.  The last time I messed with it was a nightmare, and I don't really feel the need to use it anyway. 

hmmmm Senior Contributor

Thanks Peg, I hate it as well.

kiheiretreat Contributor

I too saw this "improvement" a few days ago but now I am back to the (above the fold carousel of photos), which is what I prefer as both an owner and traveler. This "new layout" seems like regression to the two column that HA/VRBO had for the longest time.

I am not sure if they have a User Experience team, if not, they should hire one.

kiheiretreat, yea, i don't know how I feel about this change, but ATLEAST the captions are back on the photos!

kiheiretreat Contributor

I didn't even notice the captions being there, I was just not impressed with design regression. I don't see how having the end user scroll through potentially 50 photos is an improvement. Perhaps, they have had feedback from travelers? I had one guest this past year instant book and then call me asking to see more photos. I explained that they were all in the listing and walked them through how to scroll through photos. First and only one in that has mentioned this though.

What about the video in the third spot, @ohst8er do you recall if that was still in with the images? I don't have a video on my listing so I didn't see anything missing.

planthealth Active Contributor

My VRs are in Myrtle Beach and I do not have captions back yet.

kiheiretreat Contributor

Do you not see the caption when you click the photos to enlarge. The captions are on the bottom left of the enlarged photo window. They appear and fade up/in after a second with each new photo.

3seasbeach Contributor

You can in fact see the captions IF you enlarge the photos.  However, before they made the change several months back, you could see the captions without enlarging the photos.

planthealth Active Contributor

Ok, if I click the "photos" link now I can see the captions. Thanks! I'll go back in and finish my chore of putting captions on many. I had stopped when they were not visible.

3seasbeach, yes and this has been a bone of contention with me for some time.  If you get a Partner Success manager, one of the first things they tell you to do is put captions on your photos.  

It used to be that the only photos that showed up nicely on VRBO were ones that were shot with professional lenses and TONS of added lighting (we had the professional lenses and only some of the added lighting and our pictures never looked as good as they did in Lightroom.)    Even then you still had to click on the photo to enlarge to get a really good view.  But NOW, you can sit with your smart phone and view every single photo on VRBO without even having to open the listing, let alone enlarging the photos.   All the photos image well, even the marginal ones.  

The DOWNSIDE IS, the programmers have designed the page so that the only time you see the CAPTIONS is when you click on the picture.  And if you wonder how that pans out, see my previous paragraph.... 

I've called about this and called about this.  And I get my FAVORITE LINE, "The system is working as it was designed."  

"Why is the system designed so that you cannot see the captions unless you enlarge the photos?"   Well, we take feedback from travelers and owners and that is how we based our decisions on how the website is designed.  "Do you mean to tell me you have had travelers and owners that have actually ASKED for you to hide the captions?"  Yea, this conversation actually happened.    The "best" advice I've been given is to put something in my listing that says "click on the photos for more information,"  or something like that.  And yea, I did that, because I was tired of fighting city hall. 

So, when I looked at this previously I didn't really have an opinion one way or the other.  I was atleast happy you could see the captions.  Except this....  even though VRBO sets the parameters for the sizing of our photos, they set the viewing area for these scrolling photos in such a way that some of the photos are too big to fully fit in the viewing area!!!  Really??  I called CS and submitted feedback.  The guy was super nice, definitely agreed with me, submitted feedback, etc.  Of course, he couldn't submit any examples with his feedback because his view was the old view and he could not replicate what I was seeing.  

kiheiretreat Contributor

I noticed the new layout again a few days ago, in Chrome and Firefox it was temporary but the new layout might be the permanent view in IE as that is what I currently still see in that browser. I agree, the new layout may not look good depending on how your first five photos are composed. In the new layout my first image isn't that bad (it isn't good either) but there are others in my first five that don't look great as it just shows roughly about half of the image from the center out.

Another issue I have with this new layout, is that the enlarged photos in the pop up window are much smaller than the enlargements on the old layout. I am all for image size requirements but then don't turn around and not use the full size that you have available to you.

Old Layout

HA-old-layout.jpg

New Layout

HA-new-layout.jpg

Even with these issues and looking at them side to side, I actually prefer the new layout as it is more modern and clean. However, I would like to see the entire image, even though it may push content below the fold on many screens. I would also like to see the same arrow forward/back carousel functionality on this new layout instead of the View All # Images pop up window or at least show the enlarged image full screen as you do now?

kiheiretreat , ok, so NOW click on the “view all 50 photos” tab and scroll down to view.  VRBO sets the parameters for the photo size HOWEVER...the space they allow for viewing each photo is so small that for some of the photos they do not fit in the viewing window.  That’s a rather annoying design flaw!

kiheiretreat Contributor

I am seeing the full image for all my photos in that pop up window, although as I mentioned they are smaller to fit in the fixed window instead of the entire screen as it is now.

Your images are cropped?

Not "cropped"  Just... the page setup isn't designed to see the entire photo.  Most of my photos are just fine.  But some are like this....

First screen...

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 3.32.12 PM.png

second screen...

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 3.32.29 PM.png

The photo is scrolled up as high as it can go without rolling off the screen, but you cannot fit it in the entire view.  I have about 5 pictures like this.  There's quite a bit of "extra white space" at the top of the screen.  (see screenshot below)

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 3.37.17 PM.png

VRBO set the original parameters for the photo sizes.  But then created a scrolling "slide show" of photos that don't all fit in one screen!  Surely they don't expect travelers to now adjust their screen size to be able to view the photos, what the heck would be the point of that?

This next one is the worst of all of them....

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 3.39.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 3.40.06 PM.png

Those last two screen shots, it now takes TWO SCREENS to view that one photo.  What the heck?????   homeaway_community_manager, Erinn, any chance we can get this bumped up the channels?  This can't possibly be the game plan that VRBO was hoping for. 

kiheiretreat Contributor

ohst8er Thanks for clarifying, I see what you mean now. All the photos in portrait format do not fit on a single monitor screen without scrolling. I have a few of these as well, not ideal. The issue with this would also be that the amount of scrolling for one tall photo will also depend on the end user's screen resolution. I work on a laptop and my screen resolution is at the maximum allowed by my system and I still need to scroll through an image to get down to the caption. So this view could be even worse for someone with a lower screen resolution. There is a work around but not needed if HA looks at any design changes thoughtfully. Hopefully, they can combine the two layouts and keep the same functionality that is in practice for photo enlargements. Won't hold my breath.

It does light a fire to complete my (much-needed) website re-design. So there is that...