9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2018 5:28 PM by ohst8er RSS

Mountain cabin owners: critique welcome

u0999 Premier Contributor

I have a new 5 bd luxury mountain log/timber cabin and I am not getting much traction on VRBO. Those with mountain cabin properties, I'd welcome your look-over the listing and let me know what I can improve. My other two cabins are doing OK compared to this one. TIA

• Re: Mountain cabin owners: critique welcome
          vrdoctor Senior Contributor

First off your cabin is amazing!  Definitely a dream home and huge wow factor for all the upgrades like the a table-top arcade, high-end plumbing fixtures, log furniture, etc.  Your listing description only describes the home, you need to paint a picture of what people do in/around your home. 

Here are my top suggestions...

1. Although your pictures are decent toss them out and re-stage the home with fresh flowers, wine glasses and a cheese platter, etc.

https://rentalsunited.com/blog/vacation-rental-photography-tricks/

You want the photos to be more inviting so the guest can imagine themselves relaxing in the home.  Put nice fluffy towels around the spa, take a winter photo of a cozy fire with a warm blanket draped over the sofa, etc.

2. Make your description more about the experience than the home.  You don't mention that there is a zip-lining facility within a few miles of the home.

3. Ditch the description of how hard you saved to acquire the cabin, focus on the design and luxury only.

In 2011 we were in the right place and at the right time to be able to purchase and empty lot across from our other cabin - 'Blue Mountain Lodge". We have been eyeing this lot for years knowing it will have a mountain view. few years went by as we thought we may never be able to build our dream mountain home on the lot as new construction was so expensive. Nevertheless, we bought architectural software and proceeded to dream, design, draw and redraw plans until we had it exactly right and we could even see 3D design of our future cabin. We had to have exposed Douglas fir beams, wall of windows for the view, tall ceilings and superior energy efficiency. When we were ready to turn our plans to log home supplier, all their architect had to do is to make our plans official. In November of 2016, after years of diligently saving and planning, we were able to finally to break ground on the new build.

If you are looking for spacious, unique, out-of-the-ordinary luxury mountain cabin in the Smokies, you just found one! It took us 3 years of dreaming, planning and designing, and 2 more years of construction to bring our vision to life, and this was proverbial “labor of love”! Whether you want to bring family and friends, have couples retreat or even a family reunion - this 5-bedroom mountain home is sure to please.

4. Put the fine print later in the advertisement.  It's a turn off to see the terms and conditions as the first paragraph!

*NEW*! Ridge View Lodge - spacious 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath custom cabin. Mountain and ridge view. 2 king master suites. Sleeps up to 16 (12 persons over age 14 max). Easy access to Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge, near Arts and Crafts loop, and the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. BY OWNER. Like and follow @TN.RidgeViewLodge ! MUST be 25 or older to book, sign Rental agreement & provide valid photo ID within 72 hrs of booking. Also see Blue Mountain Lodge (4 bd/ 4.5 ba) #737717 - a sister property to Ridge View Lodge - on the same street (can be rented together based on availability). Also see our 3 bd/2 ba log cabin "Appalachian Escape" #629999.

5. Start out with the most important element and hook guests on your advertisement.

How about this for your first few paragraphs...

If you are looking for spacious, unique, out-of-the-ordinary luxury mountain cabin in the Smokies, you just found it!   Bring family and friends, have couples retreat or even a family reunion - this 5-bedroom luxury mountain home is sure to please.  The Ridge View lodge was custom built to offer abundant common spaces and yet plenty of separation so that several families or couples can have privacy yet still share the amenities.  Starting with the main floor great room you will find soaring timber frame ceilings that are sure to impress. Gather around the huge farm-style dining table handcrafted from rough sawn cedar and enjoy the mountain ridge views through the wall of windows. The front “prow” of the cabin was designed to maximize the view and on a clear day you can see Mt. LeConte at a distance. Comfy leather sofas are great for watching a movie on UHD TV, or just to enjoy a conversation or play a game by the warmth of the fireplace.

Go for a day of hiking, mountain biking or for the more adventurous try zip-lining at the nearby Climb Works zip-line tours.  Come back and soothe your sore muscles in our six person hot tub.  Relax in style on the oversized deck in our comfortable rockers while the kids stay entertained with the pool table, foosball and cocktail-style arcade game.  Every bedroom is equipped with a TV with Satellite TV and Netflix.  Sit out on covered side porches and you will feel like you are in a treehouse because cabin is set on a hill with a commanding view of the mountain ridges and wooded surroundings.

• Re: Mountain cabin owners: critique welcome
            ohst8er Senior Contributor

u0999  BEFORE you dig into your listing, change pictures, copy, etc.  You need to search your location by filters.  I recommend this to >>>EVERYONE<<<

So, I did a search of Sevierville TN.  Lots of listings, so I narrowed it down to 5 bedroom, 3 bath.  I searched by:

HOT TUB

FIREPLACE

KING SIZE BED

MICROWAVE

OVEN/STOVE

HEATING

CABIN

All the things I KNEW, based on your pictures, that you were.  Your competitors slowly started falling off the grid until I was down to 100 listings.  You never left either the last page, or the 2nd to last page.  Until....

I searched by FAMILIES WITH KIDS.

The number of listings dropped to 67, and YOU WERE NOT ON IT.  I checked TWICE.   So before you do ANYTHING, you need to figure this out.