12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2018 7:42 AM by homeaway_community_manager RSS

taxes, taxes, taxes...This is a new problem

linkybo Contributor

VRBO/Homeaway is collecting and remitting our Transient Room tax - Yay!

But... VRBO/Homeaway sent a lump sum payment for all of the properties in my area. Which, wait for it.... my county assessment and taxation department RETURNED to VRBO/Homeaway because they want it broken down by property.

Then, my county tax department sends ME a bill for the transient room tax (that VRBO/Homeaway collected) and I am supposed to pay the tax plus a late filing fee. Because I was somehow supposed to know the tax check wouldn't be accepted?

I'm already talking to CS, but wow - my county tax dept is nuts. It's Clatsop County in Oregon.  Good luck to everyone else!

• Re: taxes, taxes, taxes...This is a new problem
          green_mango Active Contributor

Oh no!  I have a place in Oregon, which I rarely rent, but I went to the permit office in person and they told me for ABB it's a lump sum and we don't report ABB bookings for TOT.  It sounds like HA doesn't have the same setup with your county?  I've never heard of the counties requiring it to be broken down my property.  In our main rental location my TOT has a quarterly form that lets me separate ABB bookings where they collect TOT from the rest of the bookings where I collect and remit. 

What a mess - keep us posted on resolution!

margaret CommunityAmbassador

That's not good! I hope you can get it all worked out.

ABB collects and remits for my state. I would prefer to handle it myself but I don't have any choice in the matter. My understanding is that there is an agreement between the tax authority and the OTA, it appears in your situation someone (either HA or the tax authority) is not in compliance with the agreement.

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi linkybo,

Thank you for the post. We are working to resolve the issue with Clatsop County and will provide you with an update as soon as we can.

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

linkybo Contributor

Erinn,

Thanks for your response.

Both Home away and Clatsop county have told me that they are working together towards a solution, but Clatsop County also told me that I need to pay the taxes or they'll put a lien on my home. When/If it eventually gets worked out, I should get a refund. It's $2000 plus, though, and I didn't collect it. Doesn't seem right that I have to front my own money to keep a lien from being placed on my home.

7cs New Member

Same issue for us, we're in Arch Cape. I've been in contact with VRBO since last Tuesday and so far nothing. We're coming up on the deadline where we have to pay the taxes plus interest, and still nothing from VRBO. This is incredibly frustrating.

db.meyer Senior Contributor

linkybo and 7cs, as I mentioned in another post to linky last week, "You may want to immediately file an appeal with the Board of County Commissioners (within 15 days) per the ordinance."  These types of issue resolutions between HA and gov't agencies can take a long time and you may miss your window of opportunity to file an appeal in order to delay the lien/foreclosure process should it come to that:

https://www.co.clatsop.or.us/sites/default/files/fileattachments/assessment_amp_taxation/page/253/ordinance_no_2017-01.p…

linkybo Contributor

To file a successful appeal, you have to pay the taxes in question. Then they will consider your appeal.

That doesn't sound right. Can you please copy the section of ordinance(s) that states this please?  Thank you.  And just remember, the City of Manzanita unsuccessfully sued an owner for 1.5 million if you want to take your chances! So sorry you are dealing with this.

linkybo Contributor

I think this is the section:

3.16.100 Transient Lodging Tax Collector delay.

If the Tax Administrator believes that the collections of any tax acquired to be collected and paid to the County will be jeopardized by delay or if any determination will be jeopardized by delay, he or she shall determine the amount of tax required to be collected, noting the fact upon the determination. The amount so determined shall be immediately due and payable, and the Transient Lodging Tax Collector shall immediately pay the determination to the Tax Administrator after service of notice thereof; provided, however, the Transient Lodging Tax Collector may petition, after payment has been made, for redemption and refund of the determination, if the petition is filed within fifteen days from the date of service of notice by the Tax Administrator. (Ord.

2017-01 56; Ord. 90-7 S 11)

I find the ordinance in general to be confusing, with some sections seeming to be in conflict, especially regarding the appeals process (with and without making the payment at time of appeal).  Based on the section I copied above, if it were me I would file an appeal without making a payment within the 15 days of the notice date and wait for their response.  Hopefully the county and HA have settled their differences by then.

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi linkybo and All,

We wanted to follow up and let you know that Clatsop County has accepted our return and payment. Should you need to request a refund for taxes that you have paid erroneously to the County, you should request this directly from the County. Thank you for your patience while we addressed this with the county. Thank you.

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager