15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2018 12:47 PM by swlinphx RSS

Vacation Rental Website Incentive Programs Now More Crucial Than Ever

swlinphx Premier Contributor

With all the increased listings, inventory and vacation rental site competition in the market it has come to my attention that being on each site's special program is more important to stand out and get bookings than it ever has been.  Some are designations based on an entire account's overall performance, while others are on a listing-by-listing basis.  They are known by different names such as:

HomeAway Group: "Premier Partner"

TripAdvisor Group: "Certificate of Excellence"

AirBnB: "Superhost" (and now the new "AirBnB Plus")

Booking.com: "Preferred Partner Programme"

How many of you are on each of these sites and are you on each one's program yet?  If not, do you notice your inquiries dropping without being on the program?

• Re: Vacation Rental Website Incentive Programs Now More Crucial Than Ever
          twomoreyears Senior Contributor

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.  There are so many choices when a traveler shops in a region that they end up depending on the "pre-screening" that the website does with their programs.

We're PP on HA and SH on Air, but nothing on TA and Booking, and we get zip (zilch, nada, nothing, zero...) from TA and Booking.  I think that is more because of the service fee being ridiculous on TA and the Booking clientele not being a match for our property more than not being in their "selected" programs, though.

On Air, I don't see more bookings because of SH than when we were not SH - but it's all about the time of year and the pricing.  We are an expensive property, and we really only get Air bookings for the low season (summer/fall) and a few "fill" bookings.  We've been SH for about five months, but we aren't getting many bookings since Dec-April is high season - and prices are too high for Air shoppers.

I think that is more because of the service fee being ridiculous on TA

The service fee to the guests?  It's only 3% including processing fee to the owner/manager.  Well keep in mind there are people who don't know better or have money to burn or who are too unskilled or lazy to really shop around.  There are die-hard users of every site and you can get more if you work at it for the most part, but each site emphasizes different aspects and draws a different demographic.  AirBnB & Booking.com are much different than TripAdvisor or HomeAway.

u0999 Premier Contributor

HomeAway Group:  "Premier Partner"  yes

TripAdvisor Group: "Certificate of Excellence" impossible to get. You have to have X number of bookings to qualify, there are NO bookings via TA due to their crazy fees. catch 22. I have not had a booking in months, 3 properties.

AirBnB: "Superhost" (and now the new "AirBnB Plus")  Plus not offered in my area. I am SH.

Booking.com: "Preferred Partner Programme" Not sure what it is. More cancellations than bookings. Not sure if i even will stay with them. 2 properties

TripAdvisor Group: "Certificate of Excellence" impossible to get. You have to have X number of bookings to qualify, there are NO bookings via TA due to their crazy fees. catch 22. I have not had a booking in months, 3 properties.

I just qualified again on all my properties a few weeks ago, so not impossible.  I had that Certificate before they revamped a few years ago (double then tripled their subscription rate, outsourced tech support, etc.).  They're still a popular site but the way it works now once you get a few pay-per-booking bookings under your belt with them the more bookings you will then get.  On the pay-per-booking plan they reward you and highlight you for making them money and being Certificate of Excellence, both.

Booking.com: "Preferred Partner Programme" Not sure what it is. More cancellations than bookings. Not sure if i even will stay with them. 2 properties

That is their incentive program.  They collect 18% vs. 15% and then you get much higher visibility.  Really helps.  But that is on a property-by-property basis, not on an account basis.

Yes, cancellations are an issue there because with Booking.com too many travelers book multiple units as a sort of "bookmark", then cancel at any time before it's non-refundable, causing a lot of extra work for me.  It was ridiculous, but for some reason their international customers are used to doing this.  Now I only get serious inquiries because, after the 4-hour grace period, they better be sure or else they lose 10% no matter how far in advance.  This compensates me for my work drawing up invoices, charging card, drawing up contracts, updating calendars, databases and spreadsheets, etc.  But you should at least give them anywhere from 4 - 24 hours right after booking to cancel with no penalty in this case (AirBnB now requires you to give 48 hours grace period, as long as the reservation is more than two weeks away).  I don't process any Booking.com reservations until at least 4 hours after they book them.  Try making part non-refundable a few hours after booking and watch the cancellations drop way off.

u0999 Premier Contributor

some of the options you describe (re cancellation) are not available to "new" accounts. for example they do not allow non refundable setting if your account/property is new. So what you have at your disposal to discourage cancellations is not the same as what;'s made available to new listers.

Another maddening "feature" to me is that they default to security deposit "collected by cash on arrival". And I cannot change it. I called. thing is, I do not live anywhere near my property, I do not meet an greet and I do not handle cash. So i have to explain to every prospect that sec dep will be by credit card 3 days prior to arrival.

My life is much easier as far as contracts and cancellation as I am using ownerrez and they have channel integration with BDC. Still, I have only couple of bookings (so far) that seem to be "sticking' but their stay is in the future.

some of the options you describe (re cancellation) are not available to "new" accounts. for example they do not allow non refundable setting if your account/property is new. So what you have at your disposal to discourage cancellations is not the same as what;'s made available to new listers.

While yes it is true new partners do not get as many choices Booking.com is flexible and has the most customizable features.   Even each of my properties doesn't always have the same options.  If there is something you would like that is not available to you simply call them (or call a couple times) to get someone who will add a feature or option for you if they know it is a deal-breaker.

Another maddening "feature" to me is that they default to security deposit "collected by cash on arrival". And I cannot change it. I called. thing is, I do not live anywhere near my property, I do not meet an greet and I do not handle cash. So i have to explain to every prospect that sec dep will be by credit card 3 days prior to arrival.

Yes, I heard this too.  Mine has always been set to "damage deposit collected as security deposit up front when booking", but even I can't keep that.  Mine has been changed to "shortly before arrival".  Definitely call them and let them know that it is impossible to collect cash upon arrival for vacation rental homes, especially if they are self-check-in which ironically is something they encourage.

ohst8er Senior Contributor

The only listing site we are on is VRBO (and whatever VRBO filters us out to). 

We are PP.  I don't think that PP has changed our inquiries or bookings at all. 

We used to be on Air BnB, but only received one inquiry.  I got tired of them sending me emails telling me to drop my already low season, low rate, so I pulled my listing (I had my calendar so restricted that there wasn't much of a calendar for anyone to book).  Just as well, Air BnB is up to some shenanigans right now that would cause me to drop them like a hot potato anyway. 

We used to be on Air BnB, but only received one inquiry.  I got tired of them sending me emails telling me to drop my already low season, low rate, so I pulled my listing (I had my calendar so restricted that there wasn't much of a calendar for anyone to book).  Just as well, Air BnB is up to some shenanigans right now that would cause me to drop them like a hot potato anyway.

You can turn off any kind of notification like that.  You shouldn't be getting actual e-mails from them suggesting you drop your rates, although you may see those "tips" throughout their site (which I simply ignore).

I recently started investigating their current policies and operation and reacquainting myself with them all over again.  May I ask what specific "shenanigans" you are referring to?

margaret CommunityAmbassador

HA/VRBO-PP yes

ABB-SH yes

TA-CoE No I dropped TA

BDC-PPP No, I block most dates on BDC

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

PP on HomeAway/VRBO.  Have dropped all others as there have been no rentals or inquiries in the last two years from other sites.