8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2018 11:50 AM by swlinphx RSS

Anyone have memory foam mattresses in your rental?

bethyk Contributor

We just purchased a memory foam mattress for our guest bedroom at home.

Came in a box with free shipping.  It is very comfortable and affordable.

I want to replace one of our mattresses in our vacation rental in Hawaii. 

Anyone have a memory foam mattress in your vacation rental?

Any complaints about it being hot or uncomfortable?

I'm wondering if they would hold up to vacation rental use and also if

it might be too warm for use in our warm climate for some people?

We do not have A/C.

• Re: Anyone have memory foam mattresses in your rental?
          resorttown New Member

I've found that they are not supportive enough for a broad group of guests.  Have tried in 3 different properties and ended up returning each one of them.

sage Senior Contributor

Our Kona VR has a mattress with memory foam on the top, not the type of mattress that is tightly packed in a box and expands when opened. We bought it at Costco. Like you, we have no A/C. There have been no complaints and find it very comfortable. We have a memory foam topper on our mattress at home and whenever that mattress needs to be replaced we plan to get the same mattress with memory foam layer built in.

feibus CommunityAmbassador

We went with a standard inexpensive mattress, topped by a 3" memory foam topper we purchased separately, and then topped that with a soft mattress pad that was also waterproof (in case of accidents).  We're in Florida, so hot and muggy about 9 months of the year.  And guests LOVE our bed.  So do we and we have bad backs.

Haven't done a bed-in-a-box, but the heat likely isn't the big issue if you have a soft mattress pad on top.

kmcbhense Contributor

Overstock.com, 14" Gel Memory Foam, Slumber Solutions. We put them in every bedroom in all of our florida beach rentals. We have them at our own personal home as well. I wish I was on commission with the number of our guests that I've turned on to the product that put them in there own homes after there stay. Make sure to order the Firm version.

swlinphx Premier Contributor

We have several properties in the hottest climate in the U.S. - Phoenix, AZ.  Long gone are the days of "hot" memory foam mattresses.  That was an issue 15-20 years ago when they first came onto the market.  Nowadays they all have cooling gel and technology.  We use the 14" Serafina Pearl from Novaform and a 10" Perfect Cloud from Atlas and get rave reviews and no complaints now in the three years since we started using them.  They hold up very well and nowadays cost no more than a standard innerspring mattress.  That extra thick 14" king cost $799 on sale and you don't need a box spring, just a platform frame or foundation.  That model alone comes in standard, firm or plush too, so you can always find a happy medium that will suit most.  Also, because there are no springs there are no pressure points causing you to toss and turn at night which provides for a solid night's sleep.  And your partner cannot feel you moving or getting up on the other side.

planthealth Active Contributor

I just wanted to provide an update. I bought a queen Dreamfoam-Bedding-10-Inch-Cooling-Mattress  two years ago for my VR and love visiting my VR to be able to use it. No issues with soggy on the side or hot at night. I do have a nice mattress pad protector on it. Then a year ago bought a twin for my son, been happy with it so just bought another mattress for home. $289 for the queen, $189 for the twin. Right now they have 10% off if you order direct from the company (I think the first one we ordered via Amazon because of their return policy/initial fear). They are the weird ones, ship in a box, pops open. Minimal smell dissipated in a few hours. I know everyone has their opinions, just wanted to share what works in my budget for the beach.

denisea New Member

We have a memory foam mattress on the sofa bed and it has improved comfort amazingly!!!  You can't feel the bar!  On the other beds, we have a memory foam mattress topper.  If you didn't get yours on sale on Black Friday, they're still decent prices through the month.  I think the beds feel wonderful, and we have a $2,000 TempurPedic at home.  I'm of the camp to spend a little less and replace more often.  No matter what protector you have on the bed, it will develop tears and/or wear out.  I'd rather replace $100 worth of mattress toppers than a $500+ bed any time urine leaks in.  And it's happened a few times.

swlinphx Premier Contributor
                          No matter what protector you have on the bed, it will develop tears and/or wear out.  I'd rather replace $100 worth of mattress toppers than a $500+ bed any time urine leaks in.  And it's happened a few times.

Mattress toppers aren't the same as mattress pads or mattress protectors.  They are simply to make the mattress more comfortable.  For things like water stains or urine you can get a high-quality terry mattress protector that is waterproof like this one.  We have never had an issue with anything getting thru to the mattress itself.  That should not be a reason not to get a memory foam mattress thinking you'll have to replace it often.