45 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2019 10:45 AM by sonenalpmammoth RSS

What three things would you like from HomeAway?

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

The forum would seem to be an excellent place to offer up suggestions and comments that the Community Manager could forward to other departments.  Therefore, I propose a sharing of ideas that would make your use of HomeAway more profitable for your business model, less time consuming, and how you think HomeAway could feature your property and generate more bookings for you.

My comments/ideas:

1.  Offer travelers a filter that would display only those properties that are offered by an Owner, not by a real estate property manager or hotel/motel/timeshare company.  In other words, allow a traveler to select from true "Vacation Rentals By Owner".

2.  Allow "Partners" access to an additional Fee entry to accommodate those who charge for OPTIONAL guest items like heating a swimming pool, providing firewood, Parking passes or Resort Fees (for those in condo complexes), Linen services, concierge shopping for food, tickets to nearby attractions, or local taxes when HomeAway is collecting and remitting just a portion of the required taxes.  Travelers would benefit from this transparency in bookings;

3.  Allow "Partners" to upload contract formats that may be populated by guest entries from the booking and printable by both the guest and the Partner.  This does not mean that the document would be "signed" online, but that it could be filled out during the booking process.  Alternatively, provide a CSV file of the guest data including booking data (dates and fees) to the "Partner" so that the "Partner" could generate their Rental Agreement utilizing their own document signing software.

• Re: What three things would you like from HomeAway?
          feibus CommunityAmbassador

1. Provide owners with a way to email a link to the guest to make it easier for them to cancel when they ask the owner to cancel a reservation.  The current method of the guest asking us and then us having to walk the guest through the UI to get to the cancelation piece... too much effort.

2. Make any missed payment sufficient reason to automatically waive the owner cancellation metrics "penalty".  The software knows the payment was missed, it's not that complicated to then allow a waived cancellation based on that.  Obviously, this only works for reservations that didn't use AP.

3. Easier ability to edit rate information about both my homes at the same time.

sonenalpmammoth Active Contributor

The ability to alter the listing for a reservation and have a guest accept the change without having to cancel and rebook.

susaninrehoboth Premier Contributor

1. Have a set, known, non-changing % charged for service fee.

2.Show listings that include some but not all of dates searched by traveler. Have graph, calendar or something that shows which dates of request are available and which are not, with ability for partner to decide number on days available on booth sides of request.

3. No hotel or B& B listings on HomeAway and VRBO. Conversely, to be fair, no whole dwelling rentals on B&B  and hotel sites.

swlinphx Premier Contributor
                  No hotel or B& B listings on HomeAway and VRBO. Conversely, to be fair, no whole dwelling rentals on B&B  and hotel sites.

Personally, I love it when vacation rentals are included with hotels on sites like Booking.com or Expedia.  This reaches a huge demographic that may still be used to booking hotels only and never considered a vacation rental or did not think to filter for them.  I am not for anything that gives us less flexibility or chances of booking.

u0999 Premier Contributor

1. to get more bookings.

2. to get more bookings from quality guests

3.Drop yapstone

timthek Active Contributor

ashevillelookout wrote:

The forum would seem to be an excellent place to offer up suggestions and comments that the Community Manager could forward to other departments.  Therefore, I propose a sharing of ideas that would make your use of HomeAway more profitable for your business model, less time consuming, and how you think HomeAway could feature your property and generate more bookings for you.

My comments/ideas:

1.  Offer travelers a filter that would display only those properties that are offered by an Owner, not by a real estate property manager or hotel/motel/timeshare company.  In other words, allow a traveler to select from true "Vacation Rentals By Owner".

2.  Allow "Partners" access to an additional Fee entry to accommodate those who charge for other guest items like heating a swimming pool, providing firewood, Parking passes or Resort Fees (for those in condo complexes), Linen services, concierge shopping for food, tickets to nearby attractions, or local taxes when HomeAway is collecting and remitting just a portion of the required taxes.  Travelers would benefit from this transparency in bookings;

3.  Allow "Partners" to upload contract formats that may be populated by guest entries from the booking and printable by both the guest and the Partner.  This does not mean that the document would be "signed" online, but that it could be filled out during the booking process.  Alternatively, provide a CSV file of the guest data including booking data (dates and fees) to the "Partner" so that the "Partner" could generate their Rental Agreement utilizing their own document signing software.

I like #1

I like #2, only I would suggest that in addition to mandatory fees the owner could add, it would be good to have "options" that the GUEST could choose. Want pool heat? Check here and $500 gets added. Want linens? Check here and $100 gets added. Just like insurance or a pet can optionally be added, the same goes here.

I like #3

Ummm, that's what I meant for number 2 - the VR owner could put the fee out there, and the guest would be able to check the box if they wanted it.  Just like the pet fee is now -- click the box if you are bringing a pet and the fee is added to the booking.  Don't click the box if you do not have a pet.  (Although a heck of a lot of my guests don't see that checkbox and have to be billed separately anyway).

Glad you liked my suggestions.

scowol Active Contributor

I so, so desperately want #2 (traveler check-box for optional fees) that I will vote that for all three of my wishes  

In my marketplace, 99% of properties have a swimming pool and it's a separate, optional fee.  If every traveler wanted to use the pool and have it heated, then sure, I would be able to list it as a regular (mandatory) fee.  But I can't because not all travelers want to use the pool and/or have it heated.  Instead, after booking, I have to ask every traveler if they want pool heating and add an additional payment request if they want it.  Ugh.

1. get more bookings

2. remove Yapstone as it is subpar and give us flexibility to use API to our own processor (Stripe, Braintree, Paypal etc)

3. when the map search is chosen, show all available properties on map area zoomed, not just some.

and 4

WATERMARK THE PHOTOS! tired of shutting down scammers on CL - they copy VRBO photos and description and post for 50% less and try to scam people.

I absolutely agree with the last one.  A little Homeaway logo in the bottom corner of the photos will go a long way to making it obvious the listing came from somewhere.

As for #1, I thought your plan was to be more reliant on local sites and returning guests...?  That's certainly something I'm working toward so that I'm not reliant on one channel producing 80+% of my bookings (which is what I had for a while there).

thurman New Member

I Have 2 that are really just more competent execution of things that already exist.

First, the search filter by Property Reviews is completely useless.  The two filtering criteria are 5 stars and 4+ stars.  Virtually every property in my market has an average guest review over 4 unless it's a new property or a total hovel.  And filtering for 5 stars results in listings that have never received even 1 four star review, so the results will include a rental with 1 5-star review but not a listing with 1 4-star review and several hundred 5-star reviews.  It's useless.  The criteria should be set based on the distribution of average reviews - something like top 10%, then next 15%, then next 25% and then remainder. 

Second, when a renter enters a specific location in the search field, the initial set of results will include listings over far away based on HomeAway's silly market definitions.  Many guests are unfamiliar with the areas they are searching.  My listing is in Healdsburg, California in the Sonoma County wine country.  If you search for "Healdsburg, CA" the initial results in include homes that are an hour away by car.  That makes no sense to me.  I also get in inquiries from potential guests that ask how close my home is to Sonoma Plaza in the town of Sonoma.  That's an hour away.  Especially where there is ample inventory near the destination the renter has entered into the search criteria, define the market and initial search results accordingly. 

YES! Competent execution of things that already exist.

My check in today was emergency evacuated due to a wildfire in his town late last evening. His house is likely gone, as there were flames in his yard while he loaded his kids into the car and evacuated under an emergency order.

It took us 5 calls to CS, 3 hours of work to get a cancellation processed. All the while he sat in his car with his devastated wife and scared children. 2 of the reps I talked to gave me clearly incorrect info, which I knew was incorrect-- tho they told me they were PP support. (If true, that's a pretty sad commentary on Perks.) Yet those reps refused to connect me to anyone who could help me and one of them even said if I didn't want to talk to her she would just "disconnect the call." Eventually, I called back enough times to get a US-based agent who processed the cancel and refunded the guest fully.

This is damaging to the platform and those of us who use it for bookings. "I wish I had known better than to book through homeaway," is what my guest said to me the last time we spoke, and OF COURSE I can't argue any different based on how hard HA made this, when he most needed it to be easy.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I understand map location frustration, but the map clearly shows where properties are at least in my area. As a guest I actually like being able to see properties a little further out than my destination point unless I don’t have my vehicle. We stayed at a property in Washington State that was on a little Lake (absolutely beautiful) that was about 30 minutes from my daughters home in Olympia, WA, but we didn’t want to be downtown....we wanted the more peaceful property. So, while it may frustrate some guests (Or owners) it works great for those of us that love to be a little bit out of the fray.

thedrams5 Contributor

1. I would like to see all mandatory fees included in the nightly rate. Many owners in our building have admin fees, management fees and high cleaning fees. Their weekly rate is much higher than ours but their nightly rate shows much lower because all the other mandatory fees are not included.

2. I would like to see VRBO work with Craigslist fraud department to try to stop some of the photo and write-up thefts.

patpat Contributor

1. I don't want to be asked if I want to try Instant Booking anymore. I tried it, didn't like it, quit it and don't want to hear about it any more. I also don't think it's fair that owners who sign up for it get special advertising privileges with Expedia or is Travelocity? (Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that was what I was told.) It almost seems like customer service will win an all expense trip to somewhere glorious if they sign someone up for IB.

2. I don't want to see booking reservation amounts on the calendars.  I print them out every month for 3 properties and use them for many things - I give a copy to the cleaning staff and sometimes share with contractors for scheduling. I hang a copy in the office for mowing scheduling. I really don't want anyone to see the booking amounts!!! Owners can import all the info into excel if need be, so what was the purpose of vrbo taking the guest name off the calendar to booking amount on it?? Now I black out the $ amount, give the cleaning staff their copy, write the guest name, # of guests, phone numbers for each booking on the calendars, keep them with me so when I go to the properties so I know how to custom pack the welcome baskets. Then, having the phone number on the calendar is nice for quick reference to text the guest to let them know the property is ready for early check-in, which they love....and leads me to #3...

3. I would love to see a guest Text Icon on the reservation page for an easy way to click and text guests. I was on the text beta program and it was a big waste of time so I quit using it. I use the calendars I print and spend a lot of time writing in all the information with phone #'s so I can text out in the field because the homeaway app is not all that easy to use, esp. out in rural areas. There are way, way too many clicks to go through to find the guest's phone number, then to copy and paste to text message to let them know the place is clean and ready = good customer service - guests are always wanting in early! And in parts of the rural area, phone calls don't always go through, but text messages do....go figure, got to love technology!

4. I'm going for 4!!! Why not!   I copy Feibus's #1:  Provide owners with a way to email a link to the guest to make it easier for them to cancel when they ask the owner to cancel a reservation. Absolutely agree!!!!! Not only is the current method too much effort, it's just plain bad customer service!

Wait....#5....Remove the hotel/motel listings off vrbo (Vacation Rental By OWNERs!!!) And if not then, then share ALL vrbo listing with Expedia and affiliates, not just those who sign up for instant booking. I found instant booking to do me an in-service. I had only 1 booking when I tried IB  for one of my properties for 2 months in peak season. The moment I stopped IB, I started getting bookings. So maybe it works for some, but it surely didn't work for me and it really burns me up to learn  that I may have to sacrifice bookings again to get an advertising spot with Expedia if that is what is going on.

moosebigd Contributor

ashevillelookout...  This was an excellent idea to provide HomeAway/VRBO with their "partners" holiday wish list!

1. Return VRBO to its original function... Vacation Rentals By OWNERS.  Perhaps HomeAway could market the listings of Property Managers, Expedia and all other non-owners.

2. Provide an easily accessible publication of all "testing" that HomeAway/VRBO is conducting and all changes, whether minimal or grand, that they have instituted.  Too much information is left to chance discovery.

3. Return pre-booking information availability to all "partners".  We are opening our homes, our investments to perfect strangers.  We stand to lose it all.  All HomeAway/VRBO will lose is a listing.

So many people want Vacation Rentals By Owner! 

You all have great ideas...let's keep them coming and see if homeaway_community_manager Erinn can bring them to the attention of her co-workers.

kmccor Contributor

How about perks for Premier Partners that are actually perks, such as a reduced subscription rate? We bring business and lots of money to VRBO through our listing subscriptions and the service fees charged to renters. We should be rewarded for that, instead of seeing listing costs rise every year. In the last three years alone the cost of my annual listing has risen 52%!!!  I got a break when joining, but no longer.

Allow "Partners" access to an additional Fee entry to accommodate those who charge for other guest items like heating a swimming pool, providing firewood, Parking passes or Resort Fees (for those in condo complexes), Linen services, concierge shopping for food, tickets to nearby attractions, or local taxes when HomeAway is collecting and remitting just a portion of the required taxes.  Travelers would benefit from this transparency in bookings.

There is already a section to add extra fees for taxes and other charges, unless you mean something that the guest opts for before booking (but it doesn't say that).

1) Allow the option to prevent same-day turnovers if you so wish, so that even though a block will not show on the calendar, the system will automatically not allow anyone to check in on the same day as a check out or check out on the same day as a check in (AirBnB has this under "preparation time").  I have decided to no longer accept these as it is far too much work even for one listing (let alone several as I have) for me to go to each property immediately after a guest checks out (which can be as late as 11 AM) do a thorough inspection and "reset" (which can take some time) so I can refund the deposit, and make sure housekeeping does not come before I am done but is there as soon as I am done, and then have time for them to clean, me to go in and do a final inspection, and then for me to stage it and meet and greet guests.  I refuse to put myself through that stress anymore and even if I did, I could not do it for more than one property (and as I said I have several).  And I don't care if it means less bookings. My goal is not to operate like a hotel that never has gaps between bookings (and of course this would be an optional feature to toggle).

2) Allow the option to prevent check-in or check-out on a specific day but still have it open for a guest to stay.  There are days when I simply am busy or away that I cannot check-in guests but don't want to block off the date because then a guest won't even be able to book that day even if they want to check in several days before and check out several days after, causing me to lose a week or more booking for no reason.  Booking.com has this option, as do hotels.

3) In addition to maximum advance booking, provide an option for us to specify how much advance notice we require or minimum that guest must book in advance (say minimum 24 hours or 12 hours, etc.).

4) Allow option to automatically "float" seasonal rates from year to year unless and until we decide to change the rates.  How often do owners change rates?  And it is a lot easier for them to do that for the year or season they wish instead of forcing us to constantly re-enter seasons over and over for multiple seasons on multiple properties for multiple sites.  And God forbid if we forget or someone books farther in advance than normal they are quoted a lowball ("Standard") rate.

5) In that same vein, why do we even have to show a "Standard Rate"?  I've been doing this 14 years and still don't understand what a Standard Rate is, when all our rates depend on property, length of stay and time of year.  I have had this cause issues for me on several sites lately.

#2 already there in new rates editor.

#3 is already there for those on the new rates editor/calendar settings.  Mine is set to 2 days.

#4 and #5: I doubt they'll make any changes to the old seasonal rate calendar features, since they're trying to get rid of it in favor of the new calendar and rates editor.

Love #1.

...oh, well I don't have the new rates editor and don't really want it because I like how HomeAway's system is smart enough not to charge a guest who books 24 nights at the weekly rate more than they would pay total to book 30 nights, just because they didn't book enough to qualify for the monthly discount.  HomeAway/VRBO has always been smart enough to cap the rate at the total monthly discount if the weekly rate ends up costing more than they can get the whole month for.  I don't know anything about the new rates editor but from what I understand that would screw this up.

So for me now, the four points I mentioned are all things I do not have.  And again, I'd love someone to explain the logic behind a "standard rate".  What is a standard rate?

Standard rate is the default rate if the date doesn't show up in your seasonal rates table.  For example, if you leave out a season or fail to go far enough into the future.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

What feibus said is correct. To be sure your quote is not less than it should be when the standard rate is used, make the standard rate you highest rate of the year. You can always adjust it down if it quotes too high but guests are not happy if you try to adjust it up.

What feibus said is correct. To be sure your quote is not less than it should be when the standard rate is used, make the standard rate you highest rate of the year. You can always adjust it down if it quotes too high but guests are not happy if you try to adjust it up.

Yes, I know all that.  The problem is many sites use the Standard Rate to quote guests when there are no dates or figure it in in a way that would make your property seem much higher than normal or average if you use your highest rate, so we use our lowest possible as our "from $____/nt. rate".  My whole point is we never have a time where the rate is "standard".  As I said before it is always conditional on length of stay and time of year -- period.

How many of you have multiple listings on multiple sites?  It is inevitable to occasionally forget to update one season on one site here or there, especially if a guest books far in advance for off-season.  Again, why not give the option for NO standard rate and just quote guest the previous year's rate for that time period (or again, allow option of "floating rates" year to year unless and until you change your rates)?  HomeEscape does this.  No one has ever given me a good reason why they don't do this to make misquotes much less frequent -- and much less work re-entering rates over and over for owners/managers like me with multiple listings on multiple sites.

kmccor Contributor

Your #4 is on my list. In addition to being able to float season rates, I'd like to easily establish seasonal rates without having to click the days on the calendar. The old way of setting rates was much easier!

surgerygalore Contributor

hello

some travelers confuse the model and the offerings with a hotel room and hotel administration:

1. make lack of communication by traveler, as an example, a legit reason to cancel reservation - it will avoid problems for HA, Owner and traveler

in the european market, HA mandates one vendor for payments collection:

2.  procedures of this sole mandated vendor should be monitored by HA,e.g., chargebacks above and beyond teh legit cancellation perios should not be accepted and HA should make the point with the payment collection vendor, rather than taking the position "it is an owner, payment processor and traveler issue"

3.  iphone app bug, in as much as inconsistent with the laptop version sware, of considering any reply a conditional 72 hrs acceptance should be fixed or disclaimed in the App

happy TG!

all answers, to me, seen akin to asking if you would like to give a car a new paint job, chrome accents, install upscale audio system etc without checking whether engine and drivetrain run good and the car actually can get you where you are going in the 1st place.

linky17 Active Contributor

u0999 ~  So very true!  VRBO/HA could SO elevate its profile by capitalizing on once-and-done, long-term fixes of chronic platform shortcomings for the mutual benefit of:

- Owners and Prospective Guests: Simply by fixing too long reported site glitches + bugs.  And stopping 'live' A/B tests that adversely affect both in the interim.  Make the platform work.  Make it consistent, and across all browsers.  Be brave: engage focus groups + live Beta labs/testers at your Austin campus to best massage end-user (and already-documented, here in this forum/thread: Owner) preferences and too frequent interface problems.  Educate (within) re: the rich concepts of Market Segmentation, especially as they relate to generational triggers.  And rewards.

- Shareholders: Can't begin to fathom what Expedia's 'over-spend' for on- and off-shore CS is vis-à-vis the resources that have surely been expended on having to deal with in-house programming errors?  I can imagine that those monies would be best optimized by the meaningful marketing of VRBO/HA as THE truly reliable' go-to' for VRs, versus the hotels/rooms for let that now clutter my primary market under the "Vacation Rentals by Owner" brand.

But only when it can demonstrate that it 'works.'

I'm missing my Jeep with the roll-up/down windows.  So uncomplicated.

Just thought of another one: I want the ability to set preferences for the cards in the marketplace feed, so that I can block cards for, say, Discovery Hub things or marketmaker suggestions (which I already know about), or even the "these properties are booking faster than you!" cards.  Some cards are useful, some are not, but I should be able to select the topics I want to include.

Adding another... this one should be easy:

I want a (single) Dashboard card showing payment requests that are coming due with: guest name (linked to the "conversation" page), date due, amount due.

Right now, I track this by leaving the payment requests in my e-mail inbox until they get paid, but it seems like a simple bit of programming to bring this information together in one place.

Another simple one, this one is starting to bother me:

The calendar export should include the guest contact info.  I'm exporting to a management system that handles all post-booking emails, and I have to manually add the email after a booking gets imported into the system.  This should just be in the iCal export.  C'mon Homeaway, save me a step here!

feibus, I think I remember hat you use OR?  I know you're asking for info to come in through the calendar and I don't have a solution for that ... but a work around is to use their proprietary integration tool to import complete bookings. Have you tried that? I'm saving myself a ton of copy/paste time for contact info and booking data.

I am using OwnerRez and I haven't tried their integration tools (baby steps... I've been using OR with lots of happiness for 6 months now, but it took nearly 18 months for me to pull the trigger; still haven't pulled the trigger on the damage protection).  I was just hoping the calendar export would have those extra pieces of info, no reason for HA to hold them back, they already have them and they export them as part of the spreadsheet for download, so no reason not to put it into the ical file.

I will take a look at those pieces, though.

I'm a total newbie! Only been using OR for a month. They are offering a special price on the integrations, and since I have a fairly complicated set of listings, I'm trying out the reduced price integrations to simplify my life. If you don't see the special pricing listed, you can always reach out to Chris and ask him. It wasn't being publicized anymore when I signed up, so I asked him to honor the price and he did.

thaxterlane Premier Contributor

The ability to communicate with travelers - to interview or screen the traveler - prior to making a "decision" on their request for a stay.  I delisted when the ability to freely communicate with the guest was eliminated.  I won't decide yes/no regarding a stay with the limited information provided by the platform.  I must have the ability to communicate directly with the traveler.

There are secondary issues, such as rigid terms re stay, payment processing, cancellation, etc which are also decided for owners without regard for our needs.  But, my primary concern is the inability to communicate. 

Premier folks have that already.  I doubt HA will extend it to the rest of the crowd until there's broader acceptance of the concept of "dancing with the one that brung ya".  I still get guests who contact on VRBO and then want to book off-platform.  Could be a trap, hard to be sure, since I don't hear back from them after I tell them "no".  Right up there with guests whose first question is "what's your cancellation policy?"