23 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2019 3:33 PM by bobbie32 RSS

Change to Premier Partner? Going Indie by Property Now?

calicalling Active Contributor

Maybe I'm the last to know and this is old news but I just heard about it on another group.... Looked it up on discovery center and its legit. Properties will now be evaluated individually for PP status. I'm looking at my properties now to see if they will individually qualify....

"Starting in mid-December, only individual properties that meet the Premier Partner criteria will display the Premier badge. To make it easier for travelers to find and book Premier properties, we’re also introducing a Premier Partner search filter on the site."

indipremierbadge.JPG

Here's a link to the full article if you want more detail.

• Re: Change to Premier Partner? Going Indie by Property Now?

homeaway_community_manager, is there a plan to add a 'booking acceptance rate' metric? Is it simply the inverse of the decline rate? (100%-decline rate?)

If not, can you let us know how that is going to be calculated?

feibus CommunityAmbassador

Yay!

But it seems like it would be good to know what the time criteria is for the badge stats.  If 3 months and those three months you're not open because you're in UP Michigan where so few people want to be in the dead of winter, seems like it would be nearly impossible to be PP.

u0999 Premier Contributor

if so, great, just saw a PP property in my market with 2-str average review rating. makes 0 sense.

I just did an ingognito search through my market for some high-rate dates. Listed bove my property are a ton of Premier Partner properties: 3 with no reviews at all, 4 with average 4.2 or less, and 2 with dismal average of 3 stars or fewer! Then mine at the bottom, with 4.9 stars. That's why this is a good change, IMO.

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

Remember, Premier Partner is by partner, i.e., Owner or Management Company, NOT by property, so of course there are going to be listings that are being offered by owners and management/realty companies that are terrible.  But they will be marked as Premier Partner because the Management Company or the owner has earned that badge.  Which is why Premier Partner really means nothing, IMO, when the traveler is looking for a Premier Property to rent.

It's like a seller on Ebay.  They can be an excellent seller, prompt mailing and true to their descriptions, but all of the products that they are offering are not necessarily "best quality".  In fact, some Ebayers sell real junk, because one person's junk is another person's treasure.

ashevillelookout

Yes, that's the whole point of the OP.

VRBO/HA has announced that they are moving to a system of evaluating individual properties for PP, not by agent/manager/etc.

I don't think there's any argument or lack of understanding that PP as it has been operating is a joke.

surgerygalore Contributor

hello!

perhaps switching then to a Premier Property denomination, rather than partner

after all searches are for properties, not partners

also, parameters do favor numerous short bookings vs. fewer longer bookings - if that is what HA aims to do, obviously fine, otherwise the standard statistical approach is to switch to "number of reservation-days", i.e., number of reservations multiplied by number of days

seem like the principal Investigator is a Hotel-person, in which the length of stay is to a large extent a trait of the facility, its location (say near an airpt), etc. and therefore the number of bookings remains a meaningful independent parameter

whatever!

i appreciate what i read here!

hence thks to the more frequent users!

happy Halloween!

twomoreyears Senior Contributor

I'm not yet holding my breath.  If this does come to pass the way we hope it will, it's a good thing.  But I believe the property management companies have a lot of influence over HA, and I have to wonder if this new system will apply only to "regular" owners and exclude the property management companies.

I'm hopeful, but the champagne ain't in the ice bucket yet!

greggt Senior Contributor

If this change would actually happen, it would put a new light and actually add value to the Premier Partner program. Today honestly the whole program is....well.....actually meaningless with some of the properties carrying the badge today.

The Premier Property idea is really a good one if properly applied, today it is not. With this change, if true, would be a giant step forward.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I Would also like see them look at not counting cancellations or declines as part of the requirements. Telling a guest who has not read your limitations and doesn’t want the hassle of cancelling should not have us requiring that action, we should cancel and make our properties available again and allow them to move to the next property without any further thought about how to cancel. AND if an owner has determined that a booking does not fit with their property a decline is appropriate. We need to be able to determine whether someone is a good fit for our property without the guest having to jump through hoops to cancel or withdraw? In the almost 9 or is it 10 years that I have been renting my place only a couple have been upset with me not accepting their request...usually wanting over occupancy. I think criteria needs to be about the owner/property overall. Some properties come and go, others of us have been in for the long haul and make it work with reviews that speak to the home and to the integrity of the owner.....please make it about that and not just about the numbers, anyone can rent a dump.

thurman New Member

Hear, hear.  Totally agree.

floridarob Active Contributor

Or go broke renting out a home they just bought.

One of the highest ranking properties in all of of Orlando is just two blocks from me. They have an identical home to one of mine... well, the original construction only. After that, there are differences, BUT these folks bought their property two years ago and haven't yet figured out how much money they are losing renting it out at anywhere from 50% to 70% of my rates.  It drives me crazy.

Right now, another one of my competition is for sale, for the THIRD time since I've been renting. Somebody buys the home with stars in their eyes about how much money they are going to be making, only to go through the three year cycle of buy-to-bust that I see happen over and over again.

So they got some bookings? Big deal! Anybody can do that if they want to give their property away enough. So what? It only proves them foolish!

Or, in the case of the first home I mentioned above, Premier Partners.  Of course they get fantastic reviews! Guests are beside themselves with what a deal they are getting because this couple is PAYING for them to stay in their Florida Vacation Home. Who wouldn't be enthusiastic?  And with lowball unsustainable rates, and raving guests who are laughing themselves silly over the great deal they are getting, these unknowing owners are losing money by the thousands, yet become Premier Partners practically overnight... And I have to look at their silly property on MY dashboard all the time as they get held up as some kind of example to emulate.

On what basis? Any girl can be the most popular at the party if she is willing to give the goods away. I'm sorry if the more sensitive among us don't appreciate the comparison, but its true!

How about in order to become a Premier Partner you have to have an active property on HomeAway for four or five years? And by doing so demonstrate that you actually know how to run a sustainable vacation rental that isn't draining you financially and making you broke? How well can an owner take care of guests when the owner doesn't have two cents to rub together?

My greatest frustration with the PP program was seeing newbie owners get the designation when they haven't been at the game long enough to prove that they know what they are doing. "Competitive" prices have no place in any kind of recognition until they have first been proven to be sustainable.

Why should going broke be held up as an example of excellence?

twomoreyears Senior Contributor

floridarob wrote:

Right now, another one of my competition is for sale, for the THIRD time since I've been renting. Somebody buys the home with stars in their eyes about how much money they are going to be making, only to go through the three year cycle of buy-to-bust that I see happen over and over again.

Why should going broke be held up as an example of excellence?

floridarob - it's because the Premier Partner badge is aimed at the guest and not the owner.  You've answered your own question in the first part of your post - there is always another "owner" to come along.  We're the replaceable asset here.  HA does not care if WE go out of business, as someone else will come along and buy us out and go for it, thinking they are smarter than we were.  HA even has (had?)  a show on A&E on buying rental properties.  The episode I saw was very misleading as to the cost of ownership.

ohst8er Senior Contributor

Thanks for posting!  We'll see what comes of it, and also what the "exciting things" are that are coming to ranking metrics.  Maybe Ranking Metrics will become something I'll take off my "ignore" list.  The dashboard has been on ignore for months now.....mostly because every other flashy thing they want me to care about includes my own property as a competitor I'm supposed to keep my eye on... 

gman836 New Member

I just listed a new property on VRBO and thought it would get my "Premier Partner" badge, but it does not!   It should be called "Premier Property", it has nothing to do with the partner. 

I really like the VRBO guests overall and was going to make this property an exclusive for VRBO, but it is just too hard to get initial traction.   Every property starts at the bottom.  Too bad, it's a lose/lose situation. 

ohst8er Senior Contributor

gman836, have you tried emailing your listing to all your friends and asking them to just click and look?  I do that about once a year when I feel I'm kind of getting lost in the weeds.  I also post it on FB and ask my FB friends to click and share.  Your friends will be happy to look at it for you, and more looks boosts you up in the rankings pretty quickly. 

bobbie32 Premier Contributor

Yes, being new to a site is tough.  You have to initiate some magic and hope for the best.  By magic, I would suggest that you lower your rates (maybe for only a few hours) for specific dates for your friends and family.  Have them book immediately and let them stay if they like.  Explain the situation...you need bookings and the only way to get bookings is to encourage stays, so that you start a track record.  Once they have booked and stayed, you now have a track record with a few bookings and maybe even some great reviews.  I am in the same boat with AirBnB.  My rates are way too high for most that use the site.  There is really nothing we can do about that other than play the game and lower rates just to get a few bookings.  But by doing so I would rather have a trusted visitor (like friends of family members).

Getting established on the site takes time.  I have been on the VRBO site since 2006.  Yet, I am not a "premier partner" since the term was instigated after we made the decision to get out of the business.  We have all 5-star reviews and have an exceptional rating, but that means nothing to HA, only to potential guests.  We are still booking 14 nights a year (since we can do so income tax free), so that puts us at the bottom of the listings since we have very little availability.  But remember, even if you are at the bottom of the list, travelers may search for available dates as well as using the filter feature.  So in the end your competition may be less than what you see by scrolling thru the entire list of properties for your area.  BTW, make sure the filters work for your listing.

Best of luck!  And you WILL learn how to play the game to boost your bookings.  It just takes some time...