6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2018 7:32 PM by floridarob RSS

Explanations needed on performance tab

luiskisasoul New Member

Hello all,

As you all probably noticed, our listings are ranked in the permorfance tab with 7 metrics.

Overall performance of my listing is 792/2677... well why not.

Problem is that my worst metric is 530/2677 and I am ranked 1/2677 for 3 of them.

Does it not sound weird ?

I am not a mathematician but I quite sure that my overall performanace should stand between 1 and 530 (and clearly not 792).

Am I right ? Do you have similar incoherences ?

• Re: Explanations needed on performance tab
          feibus CommunityAmbassador

Lots of discussion on this already.  The one metric you do not see that affects your "market rank" is availability.  Those with availability for the dates that are currently being searched by travelers will get a smaller market rank number.

Instead of worrying about that one number, use a "clean" browser to query your market the way you expect people look to book a home like your home and see where you show up in the search results for different weeks you're trying to get booked.  That will tell you how others are seeing your listing.

twomoreyears Senior Contributor

To add to the mystery of what the algorithm does, we are ranked #1 but do not have much availability in the next couple of months.  However, most of the dates were booked through VRBO/HA, so I suspect they count dates that were booked through them in your availability.

I do recall John Kim saying once that how many nights you "give" them to offer is a big part of the ranking.

feibus CommunityAmbassador

That's entirely possible, since I've been slowly increasing my bookings outside the HA/VRBO platform over the past year and my numbers have dropped.

But it doesn't explain that night when the algorithm moved one of my properties up 200 and the other down 200.  No one could explain that clearly and I tried to get them to.  So I figure it's alchemy.  Or just witchcraft.

witchspells.jpg?w=282

floridarob Contributor

twomoreyears wrote:

I do recall John Kim saying once that how many nights you "give" them to offer is a big part of the ranking.

I give ALL of my nights to HomeAway to book. But if they get booked by me or another site before HomeAway gets them booked, doesn't that reflect on HomeAway's performance instead of my own?

sonenalpmammoth Active Contributor

This was discussed at length last week but to simplify for you I'll repost what I said then.

All 6 of my listings compete against each other within the same market/comp set.

They are all ranked #1/2500 for several performance criteria within the same market comparables. On ranking metrics like declines, cancels, etc in which I have 0 held against me, all of my property listings are ranked as #1 in those categories. For reviews and response rate, rank is usually #1/2500 on most of my listings.

Each one has an overall rank of between #200-760/2500.

How is it possible that many properties can all be #1 in the same group? I have no idea, but mine all are (6 of them) so I can only guess there are others in my market that share the same #1 rank, too.

So the best answer I can come up with for your question is, Does it sound weird? Yes. But is it consistent with what I see, too? Yes.

luiskisasoul New Member

So in short figures displayed are wrong or understandable, others are missing

In that conditions, won't be easy to improve/learn anything indeed

In my opinion, would be wiser for everyone to let the magic operate behind the scenes and stop sharing with us foolish figures

Thanks for your feedbacks