7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2018 11:46 AM by hill5185 RSS

Mexico Beach and PCB

hill5185 CommunityAmbassador

As the images have started coming out showing the destruction of Mexico Beach - my heart goes out to anyone who lives or owns property in the area. Absolute devastation.

We've suffered Mathew and Irma, but nothing like Michael - sending uplifting thoughts to everyone in the area during recovery and rebuilding. 

Everyone stay safe and a HUGE thank you to the Search and Rescue teams, Power Line Workers and Recovery Effort Providers.

• Re: Mexico Beach and PCB
          ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

Bump

treeguy Contributor

I was just thinking the same thing as I sat down here after reading the news.  So many events have impacted people on all the coasts.  Michael has impacted many people and for some in the Carolinas it is adding exponentially to there troubles.

cathio Contributor

Our vacation home is in Mexico Beach.  We are seeing aerial videos online and on TV, and they got good shots of our home.  It is still standing, but our neighbor's house was blown off the foundation and is leaning against ours.  Another house is in our front yard.  It's mind boggling that our house is still standing there.  Certainly it has damage, possibly structural.  We won't know for sure until we can get down there. 

Words can't even describe what things look like down there.  A lot of people have never heard of Mexico Beach until it made the news this week.  It's a tiny town with not a single traffic light, home to only 1200 people.  There were a lot of vacation homes and rentals, like ours.  We bought our lot in 2011 and our home was built in 2016.  It's just hard to believe that everything there is basically gone. 

Thanks to everyone who is an active member of this community.  Some of you were there, offering advice when I needed it.  Comforting me through problems with bad renters.  I just want to say, please keep everything in perspective.  Issues with HA's policies, bad renters, etc. seem silly to me now.  I'd take those problems over this one any day.

feibus CommunityAmbassador

Horrible.  How long until the insurance adjuster can get out there and get things started?

cathio Contributor

Not really sure yet.  Our insurance agent started the claim process, and we have claim number.  Someone is supposed to call to take a statement in the next 48-72 hours, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes longer than that.  There is so much damage in the surrounding areas too.  They are going to be overloaded. As far as we know, they're not even allowing home owners in yet to assess their damage.  It's just too dangerous.  Our street is blocked with debris - whole houses, actually - and there are down power lines everywhere.  It's hard to comprehend.

georgygirl1955 Senior Contributor

My heart goes out to you. 

I empathize and feel your pain.

hill5185 CommunityAmbassador

The news about the Hurricane Michael recovery is less and less. With more storms traveling through the area today with tornado and heavy rain I'm sure it's the last thing needed.

How is your recovery process going? Keeping everyone in the pan handle in our thoughts