12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2018 11:42 AM by psphoto RSS

Guests leaving property unlocked

psphoto Active Contributor

I've recently had 2 different guests fail to lock up our beach house properly.....leaving our rear door unlocked.

Sometimes they've left a window open as well.

Luckily, nothing has gone missing, and our cleaner has caught it.....however it really does leave a bad taste in my mouth when it happens!

My question is this:

Has this happened to other owners, and how have you responded?

Is there anything listed in your contract about consequences of not locking up your property?

Have you mentioned it to the guests?

Have you mentioned it in their review?

Let me know....

Thanks,

Pete

• Re: Guests leaving property unlocked
          u0999 Premier Contributor

happens all the time despite warnings and check out procedures we email day prior. I am in the process of installing the door closers on all doors (and I have 5 doors on one property, 5 on another, and 3 on the 3rd. The door closers will not lock but at least keep doors shut and not waste AC/heat. Not mentioned to guests and it is in contracts (require them to lock) but no penalties.

sage Senior Contributor

If you had a ResortLock on all doors this would not happen to you as long as the guests do not leave the door standing wide open. When the access code is keyed in, the door unlocks for approximately 10 seconds. After that, the code must be entered again for the door to unlock.

Although something like a Resort Lock could work on our front entrance, it wouldn't on our beachside doors. They are multipoint locks that engage at 3 points on each door. We have never had a problem with our front door being unlocked...only the beachside doors despite clear instructions on how to do it!

Part of me want's to just leave the guest a negative review about this, and part want's to just have a "stern" conversation about taking care of someone else property!

I do feel something needs to be said or done.

Opinions?

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I wouldn't leave a negative review since nothing happened (thank goodness). But perhaps a phone call, e-mail or text just stating how disappointed you were that the home was not left secured and that fortunately nothing happened. I think that as owners we DO have a responsibility to each other to inform guests when something goes wrong, omitted, etc. Kind of like an educational experience.

The problem with telling them you were disappointed but not leaving a review is they could easily respond to that with a negative review of you property.

Besides....reviews of guests are the only way owners have of warning about guests who don't care enough to even make sure our property is left secure!

I did let the guest know what we found.....they responded with complaints about the property, and suggested it was my fault for not "explaining" it better!

They never called me to "explain" it better to them of course....which is what any reasonable person would do if things were confusing. My phone # is on virtually every document they were given.

Have they written a review on your property yet, one they do and then you write one, my understanding is that they can't then go and change it. If not, then you are right. It sounds like they were not receptive to anything that they could improve on . I agree with you that giving someone the review they deserve helps all of us. I recently had a guest who kept the place clean, but had more than my max occupancy even though it is clearly stated in so many places. I have her a less than stellar review.

No review yet......but I did rate them as 2 star in the guest review system. What I don't understand is why the email link to the page for us to rate a guest has no place to write any comments?

It would seem appropriate to have the actual reason for the rating included in the guest review.

I love that aspect of Resortlock too!! However, I have had guests leave a window open and that is quite frustrating....especially since as 0999 has stated it wastes energy, not to mention the elements if it rains.My cleaning lady usually checks to make sure everything is securely locked prior to leaving and the next guest showing up.

u0999 Premier Contributor

That means that it is motorized lock ( i.,e battery power is used to latch). which means battery will not last as long and will drain when the door is not shut tight and lock is trying to latch. eretallock offers similar model that i avoid (I use non motorized where battery is only used to store codes). Also quote pricey to put on 5 doors. 

treeguy Contributor

Most of our guest lock up and close all windows before leaving; however, we have had a few fail to lock the doors and one in particular who left all three doors wide open as well as windows with the A/C blasting away.  The cleaning crew shows up promptly a few minutes after check out so I am not worried about someone entering the house.  For the idiots what left doors and windows open (usually a sign of smoking in the house but could be burning something on the stove) I deducted a portion of the damage deposit to cover the additional electricity cost.  My RA states unequivocally that the damage deposit can be used for things other than actual damage to the home.  Most people who abuse the house do not leave a review and the party in question did not.