7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2018 7:52 AM by familyfirst RSS

Venting-Renters who exaggerate issues to you.

familyfirst Contributor

I get so frustrated when renters either exaggerate an issue or just not tell the truth and I receive these communication at the worse times for me, either right before bed or when I am busy with my family, LOL.   For instance, I got an email last week saying that there was no shampoo or conditioner given during the mid week cleaning. There was! It was on the kitchen counter. My caretaker did not want to enter their bedrooms as their doors were locked after the cleaning so she left them on the counter. But of course, my heart jumped out of my body and I quickly had to email my manager who told me the truth, never an apology from the renter. Same guest advised me that there was no propane tank in the grill....there was! And that happened during my child's concert so I could not even enjoy it.

They do contact my manager first but if they don't get a quick response-within minutes, they text or communicate with me and honestly, I don't like that.

What do you all do? When I get these messages, I want to scream, LOL.

• Re: Venting-Renters who exaggerate issues to you.
          margaret CommunityAmbassador

Unfortunately, these things are just a part of the hospitality business. The guest have paid for the use of our homes, we must do our best to address issues (even exaggerated issues) as quickly as possible. Since you don't seem to want to deal with the guest issues and you have a property manager, it may be best not to give them you contact information and just let them deal with the PM.

familyfirst Contributor

Yes, you are correct. I always tell guests to contact the manager first, then contact me if he does not get back to them in a timely manner. This group seems to NOT do that.....my last communication was to remind them to please contact the house caretaker first as she lives close by and can answer any questions they have. So far, I haven't heard anything back thank Goodness. Like I said, it's only a few renters that do this. I am just venting-lol.

ohst8er Senior Contributor

Perhaps, since you are providing a midweek cleaning/amenities, that you just put all of the amenities out for the week, in one central location, so the guests have them at their disposal when they check in?

Are you a fly in location or a destination that makes it difficult for families to shop for themselves?

familyfirst Contributor

yes we are in the caribbean. No there is really no issue. It works out fine, if I put more out than they need-they will disappear home with them. They are an expensive product. My post was more about certain guests who complain about non-issues before really investigating whether it is an issue. I once had a guest who complained that her daughters eyes burned from the pool.....it's because her eyes were always open, lol. She later apologized but hearing renters complain about things that are NOT an issue and always seem at the worse times lately.

familyfirst Contributor

It's more about one person contacting me via text complaining or asking questions when if they only took the time to LOOK or ask the others at the house staying with them-they wouldn't need to text me. In addition, I tell them to always contact our caretaker first....

ohst8er Senior Contributor

Well, here's the thing.  The more you give people, the more they expect.  The higher you set the bar, the higher they expect the bar to be set.  That's the view from the traveler's perspective.

From an owner's perspective... I deliver the level of service I can realistically manage from 12 hours away, and am HAPPY to manage.

I don't provide beach towels.  I could, but I don't. 

I don't provide shampoo/conditioner.  I could, but I won't. 

I don't provide bicycles.  I could, but I won't.

I also don't provide coffee, or tea or any of those things.  It's not that I don't CARE, I do.   I don't provide them because I cannot 100% guarantee/maintain the high level of service on these that I would like to provide.  I cannot guarantee bikes in perfect working order 100% of the time, so I don't provide them at all.  I can't guarantee that if I put 8 beach towels in my condo TODAY, that 8 beach towels will be there in two weeks, and if a guest shows up expecting 8 towels as they head down to the beach, and only 4 are there, I cannot get 4 more to them RIGHT NOW.  I can't guarantee that I can always have coffee there, enough coffee, the kind of coffee that someone likes, etc, so I don't provide it at all.