6 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2018 7:12 AM by ohst8er RSS

Shop my comps!

ohst8er Senior Contributor

It was suggested on another thread by twomoreyears "Maybe have a friend shop your neighborhood for you (or you could ask some of us on the forum to help and get our opinions).  Have them compile a list of the properties that attracted them.  Maybe I'm naive, but I don't believe it is as simple - for most guests - as the lowest price per person."

So, if anyone is bored and wants to play along (and also post their own listing to have others do so as well), have at it! 

My listing is 674610.  My broad area is Hilton Head Island.  My boiled down location is South Forest Beach.  We have a 3 bedroom, 3 bath.  I keep my comps to the 93 in my boiled down location that are 3 bedrooms on my side of the street (that is, across the street from the beach, NOT beachfront).  But feel free to tell me otherwise about what you think my comps are! 

• Re: Shop my comps!
          twomoreyears Senior Contributor

ohst8er - I'm willing to do some window shopping.  Who am I?  I can't shop as myself - it's just my DH and myself and we don't need a 3-bedroom.

Am I am grandma with grandkids looking for a beach vacation for all six of us (hubby, daughter and son-in-law, two grandkids)?  Or three couples in our 40s-50s?  Who is your target group?

twomoreyears mom and dad in your early 40's with 3 elementary/middle school kiddos.   or grandparents with hubby, daughter etc as you mentioned in your suggestion.

Thanks!

ohst8er - I started the shopping process, but was completely overwhelmed by the number of properties (I looked without dates).  Since I don't know much about Hilton Head, I can't narrow it down easily to a location - that would be my first step. So, instead, I sorted by number of reviews.  (But I'm savvy enough about this to not just default to the VRBO sort order).  I'll have to start again tomorrow night.

I know you aren't asking for a critique of your listing, but that goes with the territory when someone is "shopping".  I saw your thumbnail picture, and it really did not appeal to me.  However, it is unique, and it does stand out.  A repeat guest would find it easily.  Unfortunately, to me, it looked busy and rather distorted - especially when I saw it on my iPhone.

HI twomoreyears, yep,  over 6700 listings in Hilton head to be precise. You can boil it down to South Forest Beach to make it a little easier.   That is a lot to sift through as a traveler which is why I think the filters are so important, and I think it’s so important to the VRBO gets those correct. 

I appreciate your comments about my Thumbnail. But it’s one I will keep.  I am in a large condo community, and we all look the same from the outside. Some of my comps use the swimming pool as the thumbnail picture. Literally, there are at least five comps with the exact same picture!  I’m not sure how those people think they are going to differentiate.   Others use a picture of the beach. I won’t do that because it gives the impression that we are on the beach. We are not. One guy even uses one of my husbands photos that he pulled off of our listing  as his thumbnail.   Others is a picture of their sofa.   So since I am competing against condos that all of the same, swimming pool photos that are all the same,  Beach shots that all look similar, and random sofas, I decided to do something different. It’s colorful and stands out. You can’t see my listing and then forget that you saw it before because there’s no one else’s like it.   In the end, isn’t that what we are all going for? to stand out so there’s no one else like us?

I completely understand.  Yes, we want to stand out - but the sole purpose of the thumbnail and the heading is to get a potential guest to click on our listing and look some more.  You can tell from your views compared to your comp set whether your strategy is working. 

Right now I have almost no views, because I’m sold out  till mid September  and have been for a couple months.  Which means that when my calendar is booked I drop further and further  in the rankings.   Why VRBO Punishes the successful listings this way is beyond me.