12 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2018 8:50 PM by ponokai RSS

Construction next-door. What to do to apologize in for it?

lindata Active Contributor

My neighbor is constructing his new house next door right during our busy season.

We are still recovering from Hurricane Ike, so there is construction ongoing where we are located, so it's not as though it's completely a shocker to guests.  They can see construction in other neighborhoods going up.  Thank GOD the pilings are already done.

We are basically already fully booked.  What is the best way to address this with guests?  I don't think anyone would be happy waking up to hammering in the morning.

We are on the beach, so hopefully the guests will be enjoying themselves outdoors for most of the time while construction is happening, but still ...

What would you do? 

A card with a bottle of wine and some earplugs? 

If you write a little note, what would you even say? 

• Re: Construction next-door. What to do to apologize in for it?
          ohst8er Premier Contributor

What you do for your guests to apologize is way less important than what you do to let them know prior to them even arriving.    Get ahead of this. Send out an email to all of your guests Letting them know ahead of time what to expect. Mention about rebuilding from the hurricane, this is what is happening, what time will the construction be expected to start, what time will the  construction be expected to be completed during the day.   Find this out ahead of time.    Be prepared for a guest or two to ask to cancel, and be accommodating. Post something on your page if it’s relevant for future guests.    Once you have done that, then you can get down to the business of preparing for them when they arrive. Wine and and ear plugs are a good start  as is a nice note .

Good luck!

scowol Active Contributor

I can chime in with experience of this a few years ago.  I completely recommend and can say that what ohst8er wrote was my experience.

The bad:  I had a guest express profound appreciation for the heads up, and requested to cancel because they did not plan to leave the house during their stay (my house has a pool, BBQ, cabana, outdoor TV area, etc.).  They were within my cancelation period, but I still provided a full refund.  I felt it was the right thing to do considering their plan to stay at the house 24/7.  They would have been miserable.

The good: ALL the other guests wrote back, thanked me for the heads up, and asked for suggestions to pre-plan/book daytime excursions. They all left fabulous reviews.

You will do right by pre-notifying your guests and set expectations ahead of time.  It's always the best way.

green_mango Active Contributor

I'd give guests a head's up about the construction noise & might be helpful to get some white noise machines for bedrooms to help ameliorate the situation. 

feibus Senior Contributor

We have had guests when the roof on the townhomes were being worked on... noisy and smelly work for sure... and I just made sure the guests were aware of it and that the schedule was out of my hands, but that when it was being worked on, take that day to go to the parks and don't come back until after dark if they want to avoid the worst of it.

No apology given, none expected.  But they did expect that I would tell them before they arrived so that they weren't immediately upset by the noise and smell.

lindata Active Contributor

How would you word it?  I'm absolutely horrible at things like this. 

Hi So and So,

I wanted to give you a heads-up that construction has recently started next-door.  I have been told work will be from approximately 7:30 to 5:00 during the week just so you know to plan around construction noise if that is a concern.  The pilings have been completed, so you don't have to worry about that.

???  Does that sound okay?

feibus Senior Contributor

I'd skip the last sentence, since that's something that might have to get redone, so it's out of your control.  I'd go with:

I want to alert you that one of our neighbor's homes is under construction.  They told me that work will happen there approximately 7:30 to 5 during the week, end date is totally unknown at this point, it tends to be weather-dependent when they'll be working.  As usual with construction sites, there's going to be noise on certain days as they work on the home.

If you think you want to offer some of the guests a chance to risk-free cancel in the next few days, write that next.  Offering your guests a chance to book elsewhere is a nice thing to do instead of risking multiple bad reviews.  Maybe 1 or 2 will take you up on it, but at least you offered.

georgygirl1955 Senior Contributor

How do you know how long construction will last and what days it will be?

Rain can cause delays, and workers dont work every day. Some construction processes are much noisier than other processes.

I have been at resorts with construction; you are not responsible for what is going on next door, especially in the aftermath of a hurricane.

So I have the opposite opinion of everyone else here.

I don't know how you can predict anything...especially since the pilings have already gone in.

Just a different point of view.

georgygirl1955, I would not say that the OP has any personal responsibility AT ALL for what goes on next door, construction or otherwise.  I do agree with you there.

However, I would not personally feel comfortable if I had that info and did not share it with my guests.  If a guest calls and says, "OMG there's construction going on next door, it's so loud, it starts at 7am and wakes us all up, there's pounding and sawing and yelling and etc etc, did you KNOW about this?"  Then the owner can only answer two ways, "Yes, (but I chose not to tell you) or NO (which is untruthful)."

linky17 Active Contributor

feibus (above) crafted a great reply; I'd modify it to be c-l-e-a-r that it's your NEXT DOOR neighbor (versus "one of our neighbor's homes" > correct?  If so, a potentially 'LOUD' difference versus (maybe?) a distant one. 

It may be worth your while to delve into your area's municipal regulations for acceptable construction hours?  Noise ordinances?  As much as I relish the 'early bird' contractor/service provider -- whom I've employed ... never : ) -- there are enforceable, seeming common courtesies where a residential neighborhood hangs in the balance.

As some have recommended: best to be up-front, and open to a possible cancellation, or two.  I'd much rather have fully-informed folks than the (possible + legitimately) 'ambushed,' complaining kind.

Good point about acceptable hours linky17, we lived in a new construction development a few years back and the HOA had VERY specific hours/days where construction was allowed.  It wasn't always FOLLOWED of course, until I called the developers and politely reminded them that Sunday morning at 7am is NOT within the allowable window....

I also reminded them that workers need a portapotty on site as well, cuz, when you gotta go, you gotta go, and I was tired of seeing gotta go's using the tree in my sightline.  But that's a story for another thread... 

ponokai Contributor

I agree with ohst8er that you need to notify the guests right away. Stating the reason for the construction & the hours of work is also important.

We had a similar situation with our oceanfront property. The county of Kauai finally got the permits (it only took 8 years) to rebuild the seawall right out in front of our condo. I sent a letter to all the guests that would be affected letting them know the reason for the construction, the hours & days the work would be going on and what to expect.  I also offered them a discount & told them that I would not charge a cancellation fee if they decided to cancel. Keeping the reservation or cancelling the reservation was their decision.

Most of our guests kept their reservations. However, our situation may be a bit different than your situation. We have a 1 bedroom condo which is centrally located on the island of Kauai. The majority of our guests stay because they want to use the condo as a base to explore the island. They would be out most of the day so they weren't badly affected by the construction.

It is so important to let your guests know what is going on before they arrive or you will most likely have some very upset guests. My philosophy, "Don't mess with someones vacation".

Sorry that you are having to deal with this difficult situation.