12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2018 10:42 AM by 3seasbeach RSS

Damage protection claim: renter is worried a claim filed against him will hurt in long run

Contributor

I've never had to file a claim against a damage deposit - -in this case it's a hair dryer a guest left out in the rain, on a patio chair. . When I bring it up to him, he admits to leaving it on the patio, but balks at my mentioning to him about filing a claim against his damage protection plan - - he wants to know will it affect his rating, or his ability to rent, and wanting to make the transaction off line. . I say no, that is what a damage protection is for?? I plan to file it anyway, at least I a text thread of conversation where he basically admitted to the incident (which I can show as proof to VRBO)

Jerol

• Re: Damage protection claim: renter is worried a claim filed against him will hurt in long run
          Contributor

Alternatively,

I do see where I can make a "payment request" to this renter in the reservation portal- -but it requires a description and a fee name, and I am not sure what I would put here (if we were to handle this claim outside of the damage protection plan)

What sayeth you all?  Take him up on his offer to handle this via a 'payment request?'

Jerol

• Re: Damage protection claim: renter is worried a claim filed against him will hurt in long run
              scowol Active Contributor

You can assure him that a claim has zero impact to his reputation.

Unless you have a super high-end hair dryer for guests, you may want to seriously consider if filing a claim and/or charging a guest for a mishap is truly worth the time and effort.  I get rave reviews and earn returning guests for overlooking minor mishaps.  You might get that from this guest. I consider broken small items that are less than twenty bucks or so a cost of doing business as a hospitality owner.  I've just never been one to nickel & dime guests, and it pays off in the long run. 

If you do have a super high-end hair blower, consider a cheaper replacement.  I have the similar to below from Amazon and have never had a guest complain or rave about a hair blower.  In other words, a high end, fancy hair blower is not going to differentiate the appeal of a property.  Just my two cents!

Capture.PNG

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

IMO, the guest should be given the opportunity to pay for the cost of replacing the hair dryer and a claim should not be filed.  I have had guests who have made minor mistakes that have cost me money for replacement (broken lamp, damaged linens) but I have never made a claim when the guest has offered to compensate.  Damage protection is for those big items -- the guest breaking a window, damaging carpets or furnishings -- items for which replacement or repair time would cost hundreds of dollars and could impact a subsequent rental. 

Add a payment request to the reservation.  The description can be simple -- "Replacement cost for damaged small appliance".  The dollar amount you charge would show that it was a negligible incident that you and the guest have agreed to resolve. 

Save yourself the aggravation of submitting a damage claim that the guest could dispute, even though you have emails to show his culpability.  Count yourself lucky that the guest has asked to pay for a replacement outside of the insurance.  I was not so lucky when a guest broke the glass shelves in the refrigerator -- $300 dollars for replacement shelving, and the guest disputed the claim by stating that they were broken by my housekeeper prior to their arrival.  I didn't win that one, even with pictures and written evidence.  I had to eat the expense as the cost of doing business.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

jerolj  Totally agree with what ashville and others have said.   Personally though, I'd either eat the cost, OR, let the person send me a personal check.  If you do a payment request you will end up giving some of that money to Yapstone in fees, so you will never truly be made whole.

Contact the renter, say something nice and pleasant that will win them back over to your side, sorry to react that way, I was having a bad week, my cat died, whatever...   (I mean really? so the person left a hairdryer out in the rain.  I once put an individual mac and cheese in the microwave without water.. I realized it when BLACK SMOKE came pouring out of the microwave... bonehead things HAPPEN)  .. and either tell them don't worry about it, we'd rather you stay with us again than walk away with a sour taste over a HAIRDRYER, or...  do same but politely ask to just send a personal check "at their leisure."    This is not a punishable offense. 

Senior Contributor

I'd let it go, it's just a hair dryer, but ... I now have more hair dryers than when I started and I didn't purchase any extras. They, curling irons, and more just show up sometimes.

If you don't want to let it go, have the guest pay directly. The insurance company is likely to claim that you are out a used hair dryer and not give you the full replacement cost for a new one.

sage Senior Contributor

that is what a damage protection is for

It is to protect the guest, not the owner. If the guest does not want to take advantage of whatever protection it offers that certainly would be the guest's perogative. If you want to get some money from the guest to reimburse you for the depreciated value of the hair dryer, you could ask the guest to send you a check, or to send money through PayPal or a similar method. Personally I would keep HA and Yapstone out of it. But also, personally, I would probably treat this like scowol and just consider it part of the cost of doing business.

feibus Senior Contributor

Hair dryers are cheap and never last more than a year anyway from my experience with them.  The short-term damage insurance doesn't go on anyone's "reputation", they don't collect enough information about the guest to do that.

I'd probably file the claim anyway, since the guest already paid for the coverage so that you could file any claims on it.  It's not your fault and it's not broken because of "normal wear and tear".  I've had guests get incontinent on my sheets and destroy them; I charge for that, too.  When it's clearly not normal wear and tear and there's a policy out there, why be out that money?

For normal wear and tear or if there was some question about fault -- I just had a guest where the toilet base cracked open... can I blame them for tackling my toilet? -- I blow it off.  In this case, the guest agrees it's their fault, let the policy do its job.

u0999 Premier Contributor

go to nearest thrift store and buy a hair dryer for $4-6. In fact, buy a bunch and put in storage. problem solved.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

I agree with the others. If the guest denies it the insurance won't pay so why upset the guest over something so trivial? You can ask the guest to send you a check if you insist on being paid. I would go buy a new blow dryer and move on. As  said,ohst8er try to smooth this over with the guest, mistakes happen.

3seasbeach Contributor

Really?  You are going to file a claim for a $ 12.00-$ 15.00 hair dryer?  Personally, I would just chalk that up to the cost of doing business.