60 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2018 7:35 PM by moosebigd RSS

Informational Premier Partner Banners in Ranking Metrics

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi All,

I wanted to share a new feature on your owner dashboard. Within your Ranking Metrics you'll see information about your Premier Partner status.

You'll see one of three banners, depending on where you are in your Premier Partner journey.

• You are Premier Partner eligible but have not yet made the pledge:

• You are a Premier Partner and have made the pledge:

• All Partners who have not yet become Premier Partner eligible:

• The following Ranking Metrics will have “Affects Premier” beneath them so that you know what to focus on to achieve becoming a Premier Parther
        • Decline Rate
        • Cancellations
        • Reviews
        • Booking

We hope that you'll find this information helpful and we hope to see many of you achieve Premier Partner status in the future. For those of you who are currently Premier Partners we hope that you will continue to provide the best booking and stay experiences for your travelers that you have been!

Thank you all!

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

• Re: Informational Premier Partner Banners in Ranking Metrics

Hi Everyone,

I've been informed that you cannot view the images I shared. I am working on getting originals instead of copies so that they can be shared publicly. Please stand by. Thank you.

Erinn

sfbritt New Member

Hi Erinn,

I'm new to the community and I've been reading lots of threads about ranking metrics. I saw the new "Premier Metric" notation on the four items you mentioned above + Page Views. Four of five of mine are green -- and cancellations is red. I have not initiated a single cancellation, but the metric says I've canceled 10% of my bookings.

I've called customer service multiple times about this and have gotten nowhere, and it's keeping me from the Premier Partner program. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

sunnycs CommunityAmbassador

Thanks for the heads up Erinn.  I was planning to start a discussion on this today, but I think it's relevant here.  I know that we have beat the cancellation and decline metrics into the ground...   but it's time for the next Premier Partner assessment and you mentioned above that those are metrics that will have a bearing on our status.

Please see my metrics below.  One property is in splendid shape.  The other is not faring so well, to put it mildly.  Both were fine until the metrics reverted back 365 days.  And yes, as you commented in another thread, I understand that we are all in the same place on that.  I'm finding that of no consolation while HA decides what, if anything, to do about it (particularly since I feel that didn't do anything wrong!).  My question is:  will the poor metric standing on the first listing have a bearing on my Premier Partner assessment? 

I'm selling the more fortunate property next month, so I'll be left with the one that's in the gutter.  I'd like to keep my Premier status, but it doesn't look good for the other property.   I'm wondering how many owners this will impact? 

Screenshot (154).png

Screenshot (155).png

planthealth Active Contributor

My 3 properties state:

Keep improving to become Premier

Next assessment:April 2018

jl11 Senior Contributor

What happens when every listing reaches Premier Partner status? When, in like Lake Wobegon, every listing is above average?

What's the next branded program? What's the next level of control HA will try to exert over our properties without providing anything of value in exchange - other than a meaningless banner?

This smacks of the LQS (Listing Quality Score) several years ago. By creating a set of criteria that served HA's business plan (not travelers or owners), HA effectively convinced a large number of listings to enable features for the sole reason of boosting their Listing Quality Score and therefore (hopefully) their listing placement. And at the time of enrollment, these "features" weren't mandatory - they only need to be enabled. Of course the "features" became mandatory shortly afterwards. Carrot - stick.

Premier Partner is just another carrot - stick program engineered to get owners to agree to surrendering more and more control over their VRs to HA. Today it's a only a "pledge".  But how soon before things like dynamic pricing become mandatory? IMO, not long.

Those of us who've been on VRBO/HA for at least 5-10 years know exactly which business practices over which we've lost control during that time ... choice of payment methods, unfettered communication with guests, the ability to cancel reservations, ridiculous metrics, etc ...

The PP program is just the next step of herding owners into the Expedia/hotel corral. Slippery slope folks. Know what your getting yourselves into.

Hi jl11,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns. I've shared them with the Product Manager for Premier Partner.

To be clear, there is no way that everyone can become a Premier Partner. I can't share specific numbers, but it's a certain percentage of the top partners who are excelling at all the criteria listed here and here.

Thanks.

Erinn

db.meyer Senior Contributor

Here's an interesting scenario/case for HA to consider.  The total # of listings in a location near me increased by 50% in one day as did the %age of Premier Partner listings!  In looking at the new listings and Premier Partner, I see that this Premier Partner, who is from out of the area, recently acquired a local Property Manager who did not have their listings on HA/VRBO and thus were not a PP.  New bottom line: not only did the total # of listings increase by 50% but since this the PM for these newly acquired properties/listings is a Premier Partner (from another location), all of these new listings are by default also PP but with 0 reviews, histories, etc.  The new %age of Premier Partner listings is now 45% of the total listings in that location.  Wonder how this computes with HA's algorithm? I see the potential for this PP %age to increase in this and other locations as more and more local PMs are acquired by the larger PP PMs.  Might need a new category above/below "Premier"?!

Hi db.meyer,

The Premier Partner program is designed to recognize and reward great partners who deliver exceptional traveler experiences. To reward partners for delivering this, the program is at the account level which means it is based on the average performance for all listings within an account. Therefore, if you see a listing with a Premier Partner badge but does not seem to meet requirements, it may be within a multi-listing account who is a Premier Partner. We encourage you to think about your listing(s) competing against a whole market and not just one other listing or account.

Thank you.

Erinn

HomeAway Community  Manager

rinaldomoon Senior Contributor

How about...

Premier Partner:

Platinum ****

Gold ***

Silver **

Bronze *

Standard

Pay a little more and your ranking will improve? Good idea?

Sorry, have we been here before?

sunnycs CommunityAmbassador

I've been on VRBO since 2012, so I've been through the business model changes.  I agree that the PP program is likely a carrot stick and I was cautious about agreeing to the terms for the very reason that jl11 mentioned - mandatory dynamic pricing.  I can't tell if the PP designation has done anything to help my listings or not.  Both properties did book solid and booked earlier than ever for 2018.  It's difficult to determine what, if anything, the PP badge had to do with that.  I am a big fan of PP Customer Support though, and I'd hate to lose access to it. 

Over the years, I've tended to plunge in and implement the new policies and methods, rather than holding out until things became mandatory.  I have to say, in all respects, it has worked for me.  I get in on the changes early - learn the ropes - detect flaws - devise my work-arounds when necessary - and do what it takes to make the new method work.  By the time something becomes "required", I'm already comfortable with the change and rolling with it.  I may not like it, but that's of little relevance if I'm getting quality bookings and maintaining my revenue stream.  I'm aware there are problems with Yapstone, but fortunately, my experience has been positive.  However, compared to the old days, I will say that being a "partner" is much more complicated, involves far more work, and often feels akin to venturing into a field of landmines. 

After complying with everything that's been forced on us and expending so much time and effort to make my listings successful, I'm indignant that I (and many, many other owners) could be excluded from the PP program due to HA's bungled metrics.  

planthealth Active Contributor

I guess this is now not a requirement: mandatory dynamic pricing

But rules could change at any time? I do my own dynamic pricing, but I try to RAISE my rates when I think the market will allow, because it is a long off season, so try to get it while I can, and try to price "very competitively" off season.....

Just afraid of signing up for PP now and then having it imposed on me once signed up.

treeguy Contributor

I am very concerned that the cancellation metric continues to be a prominent metric for ranking.  If HA knows there are problems with the metric why do they continue to use it to score the owners?

Could it be that the HA hierarchy has no intention of rectifying the bad situation with the cancelation metric and is signaling that we all need to just get used to it the way it is?

bobbie32 Premier Contributor

FYI...Ranking metrics does not work for Safari users - totally blank page. 

green_mango Active Contributor

I noticed the new "Premier Metric" notation on the metrics cards that effect the PP status - that's helpful.  Is that the same as noting that those are the cards that effect our rank?  So other cards/metrics are informational, but don't impact rank? 

ohst8er Senior Contributor

So question... how BAD do the reviews have to be for someone to get removed from Premier Partner?   I posted some real stinkers of reviews on the community forum when this first rolled out, from listings that were PP.   I have not yet checked to see if those were removed yet. 

jwdw Contributor

Meant to reply to original post:

We notice our cancellation rate is 14% and we have never canceled any travelers.  We were looking at the hover message over the Premier Partner designation and and it says that the "partner demonstrated and is committed to fast response times.....". Yet response time is not designated as a Premier metric. How does that figure? The listing we are looking at has 1 total review. If reviews are part of the qualification, how did this person qualify??

This Premier business seem a little strange to me. What we've read and what we see does not seem to have any consistency. So there is more here than meets the eye.

floridarob Contributor

I absolutely detest the concept that 'competitive rates' has anything to do with the Premier Partner feature or pledge.

I provide my guests with an exemplary experience, as proven by my reviews. One of the reasons I have my vacation rentals is to make a profit. I operate in a market where the 'going rates' are below the cost of operating. The average owner is losing money... a lot of it. Who wants to 'compete' with that?

Why should running at a loss be regarded as a sign of excellence?

Shouldn't operating a successful business over the long term, one which allows guests to enjoy the services of an experienced, successful owner, be valued far more than some idiot who buys a vacation rental, has no idea what they are doing, and sells it at a big loss in order to get bookings? I've seen the pattern repeat itself so many times over the years. These owners will be broke and selling out and exiting the business in three years, because that is the inevitable result of having competitive rates in our market. But six months into their folly, they're a premier partner.

I will never have 'competitive' rates. Instead, I'll be profitable. Shouldn't THAT count for something?

feibus CommunityAmbassador

My rates are absolutely "competitive", but they're also above the average rates for my market.  So there's that...

People are stuck on the thinking that "competitive" means "lowest".  It just means you're in the right ballpark for your market and that'll get reflected in your bookings anyway.

floridarob Contributor

In this situation, it doesn't matter how we define competitive, only how HomeAway defines competitive.

And I suspect that being above the average rates for your market would make you NOT competitive in HomeAway's eyes. Or me either... so likely no PP badge for me!

feibus CommunityAmbassador

And yet, I'm PP.  So perhaps my definition matches what they've told me in person and that I wrote above.

twomoreyears Senior Contributor

floridarob -

I believe HA measures "competitive" more by whether you get booked or not.  If you look at the Ranking Metrics, they don't have one that is "price".  I personally think that is a wise choice.  My area has everything from rustic one-bedroom stand-alone cottages ("treehouses") to 8-bedroom multi-million-dollar compounds that have hosted Sports Illustrated Swimsuit photo shoots and an episode of  "The Bachelor".  How would you define "competitive rates" in a pool of properties like ours?

We are one of the higher-priced properties in the area, but we get more bookings than any other property.  So Homeaway declares our rates "competitive" since we get booked.

floridarob Contributor

feibus I do get booked too, at my much higher rates. I would say a 98% occupancy rate (admittedly not all through HomeAway) and a Market Rank that places me in the top .011 of my area (amongst tens of thousands of competitors, that is top 1/10 of a percent) probably means that I'm getting enough bookings and doing a few other things right on the site too.

Don't forget that the original PP pledge said that the owner would accept "market pricing" as defined by HomeAway, and they quickly backed away from it after the extremely vocal reaction it brought.

I've been told things in person by HA executives too, on the phone, and at summits. Sometimes it is shocking how little they know about how the site actually functions. Does anyone really believe that a HA executive won't provide the current corporately approved answer at the time, despite knowing that it is otherwise, or that a change is coming that would alter the accuracy of their comments?

twomoreyears Take a good look at your MarketFeed. It is ALL about price. They practically ignore every other issue that could be at play in showing competitive properties. Different types and sizes of properties are not supposed to be price competitive, but you can bet that HA pays very close attention to the pricing of every 4/2 home in my area, and there are thousands to get data from. Competitive means competitive with like properties, obviously.

You both could be correct, but at no time has HomeAway, when talking about competitive rates, ever stated in writing that the determining factor in whether your rates are competitive or not is whether or not you get bookings. If the number of bookings is what determines if you are competitive or not, then why not just say that? Why not state that Premier Partners are successful on the site (achieve a good number of bookings) and provide a great booking and guest experience based on ranking metric criteria and leave it at that? HomeAway is the one constantly bringing up "Competitive Rates" whenever they discuss PP.

And that had its origins in what appeared to be a possible requirement to allow HomeAway to set your rates for you using their new rates software, that is still in BETA. So what will happen when that change comes down the pipe, and PP owners are required to allow HA to set their rates for them?

One of my properties generates THREE times the estimated income HA thinks it should be able to generate. So there are obviously huge bugs in their ability to evaluate pricing and what a property should be able to bring in.

I'm proof positive that success on the site and providing a great guest experience and everything that HomeAway wants owners to be can absolutely be had without what most people understand the phrase "competitive rates" to mean. I succeed in booking in spite of my rates, not because of them.

If "competitive rates" means that you get bookings, then remove the term from the PP pledge and change it to reflect being successful on the site. But those of us who have been around for a long time have enough experience to know that when certain concepts get revealed or tossed out by HA, they have a habit of becoming reality, whether they are good for owners or not. The only criteria that we have actually seen being applied to decisions is, is this change good for HomeAway, according to HomeAway?

What will you do if/when being a PP means that you MUST allow HA to use their 'data' to drive your pricing? And what if those variable data driven rates are below your cost of operating?

Will you be able to forgo the PP pledge and banner? And will it be fair to have your property put down in search results because you are no longer a PP?

I'm not saying this will happen, as I can't know that. But I am completely cognizant of the wording of the PP pledge, both originally and as it is now, and the english used is fairly straightforward and specific. Why not take them at their word? If HA doesn't mean "competitive rates" as most people understand the term, why use it? Why spend so much time and money to redesign the owner dashboard to focus so much of it on variable data driven "competitive" rates?

I think the answers to the questions I am raising are quite obvious. The handwriting is all over the new owner dashboard.

And (with apologies for how this sounds) over the last six years, I've accurately predicted or guessed every change that HomeAway undertook, so there is also that, for whatever it's worth. I would love to be wrong about this!

twomoreyears Senior Contributor

floridarob - As I said, we are not the cheapest. We're actually one of the more expensive on the island for a three-bedroom house.  But we are ranked #1 and we get the most bookings from HA of any property on the island.

Perhaps we are the best "value", but not everything is about lowest price.  Unless, of course, you argue that we are the "exception that proves the rule"

jl11 Senior Contributor

floridarob wrote:

If "competitive rates" means that you get bookings, then remove the term from the PP pledge and change it to reflect being successful on the site. But those of us who have been around for a long time have enough experience to know that when certain concepts get revealed or tossed out by HA, they have a habit of becoming reality, whether they are good for owners or not.

... But I am completely cognizant of the wording of the PP pledge, both originally and as it is now, and the english used is fairly straightforward and specific. Why not take them at their word?

With each new change to the platform, HA has always telegraphed its intentions well in advance.

Just because it isn't a mandatory today doesn't mean it won't be tomorrow.

jwdw Contributor

So it sounds like if I turned my property over to a PM then - voila! - I'd be a Premier Partner. Doesn't sound too hard to me <sigh>

merrilllunt New Member

Hi Erin,

I am hoping you can help me. My Decline Rate is not populating stating "We need more data to display this metric" All of my other premier metrics are doing great, yet I am being passed over for Premier Partner. I've called customer service, and they are not helpful, after a manager gave me conflicting information from an email I received, I asked to speak with another manager only to be told  "I am the end of the line". Help!

Thank you.

-- merrill

Hi merrilllunt,

We're taking a look. We'll get back to you.

Erinn

merrilllunt New Member

Hi Erinn,

I'm still having issues with the Decline Rate on my property; it still does not how up. I have been told by CS and tech that it definitely is impacting my market rank & my ability to be recognized as a Premier Partner. I understand they are working on it, but I have gone through 2 quarters of me asking about it, and being told it was being looked at. My property is due for renewal on Monday, and I am concerned that this will go on for another year. Can you offer any additional assistance? It is frustrating that I am providing a good service, doing what I need to do, keeping up with all requests, but my property keeps falling in ranks, and one of the reasons is that there is a bug in the HomeAway software.  To pay $499 for renewal while this is being sorted out is upsetting.

If there is anything you can do to help, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

-- Merrill

happyfeet Contributor

I notice when I look at my metrics page -- at the very top section it says that my "Market Rank" is 1 out of 652 properties. It's been this way for a long time.

On the rest of the page it shows I'm average or below average (or a little above) in my ranking among the 652 properties. In the last 3 metrics I'm listed as #1 out of 652..

Some of us think that where we are ranked on the listing pages for your region or your specific area (our condo complex name in my case) is important.

I am shown as 68th out of 76 in our condo complex. And I'm shown as #650 out of 1441 in my region. I don't see any way to display only the 652 properties referenced above so that I can actually see my placement among them.

In the real world I would think this is absurd. But I know that the people here reading this forum know that they aren't really living in the real world.

I haven't decided what world it is? -- some forest in make-believe land?.

luxurymodernrentals New Member

!!!Please help!!!

Min stay searches

Searches that meet or exceed your min stay length

Min stay searches

N/A

-

Metric rank

N/A

-

We’re working on the data for this metric. Stay tuned.