22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2019 6:46 AM by susaninrehoboth RSS

Your competition is heating up!

ohst8er Premier Contributor

Ok, so finally something "new" in marketplace feed.  Thank you!  My feedback was, make the icon clickable in the map so I can actually click on the property to see if I want to add it to my comp set.  Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 6.59.54 PM.png

• Re: Your competition is heating up!

meh...if my rates are higher than this beachfront newcomer that will be HIS error, not mine.

georgygirl1955 Senior Contributor

Any public comment I might say about this would get deleted for being unacceptable and inappropriate.

Sad sad sad.

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

I am certain that this is not going to be helpful to me and my business.  The new listing is over 40 miles away, more than an hour and a half drive, almost in another state.  The only apparent relevance is that if you were to draw a round object with a compass 30 miles from the center of the city of Asheville, then my vacation rental and this new listing would be just within the lines of the round object.  I want to know more about the new cabin just down the mountain from me....or anything within 5 miles.

And georgygirl1955, I sympathize and am probably using the same language.  My grandkids would be making a fortune if I had a HA swear jar.

Note: The round object referenced above is the descriptive term for a word that begins with "C", has an "IRCL" and ends with "E" but cannot be used on this website.

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi scowol,

Nowhere in the Marketplace Feed card did we advise you or anyone else to lower your rates.  I respectfully request that you not make assumptions about the intent of new feed cards. Thank you.

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

scowol Active Contributor

Hi Erinn,

I appreciate your input.  I recognize that the message has no specific advisory to lower rates. Conversely, there's also no specific advice on what's being suggested on the Marketplace Feed, other than to check them out.

All VRs are inherently unique. That's what sets VRs apart from a hotel or motel where all the rooms are identical.  Yet the message advises us to "check out what makes them unique."

Pricing is a paramount factor for the success of a rental, and thus accordingly it was my assumption.  However,  I was not aware that assumptions are discouraged on this Community.  Accordingly, I have deleted my posting.  I've also reviewed my other postings and update any relevance of what might be assumptive.

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

scowol,

That was not my intent. I'm simply asking that all of you as active members, try not to immediately jump to the conclusion that HomeAway is somehow out to get you. Or to make you "race to the bottom".  I am keenly aware that a lot of changes we've made over the past couple of years have not made owners happy. That being said, I can assure you, we're not out to get you or drive you out of business. That's all I was getting at.

Erinn

db.meyer Senior Contributor

At least you weren't accused of spreading rumors and conspiracy theories as were several of us.  Sorry to see you felt the need to delete your posts, it makes the forum much less interesting and informative when everyone filters their comments in order to toe the line.  Guess I'll go over to the facebook group for now.

wiser-after-50 Contributor

Erinn, CS reps are saying this to people, I had a VRBO tell me once  and  Canada Stays, HA's "partner" CS told me flat out that I should lower our rates to gain bookings and visibility. This is an absolute race to the bottom.

Please...how do I turn off my Marketplace Feed? It serves NO purpose to my business. People send many requests for homes in Sayulita then pick one of them for cost/size/location/whatever...I don't care they booked somewhere else. My house does great on it's own and constantly seeing where renters booked beside my home for any number of reasons does not help/guide/encourage/inform me of anything. I know the marketplace. Most likely, there a many many VRBO users that find MP Feed helpful. For the 100 of thousands of others, it's a distraction.

captmarkhd Senior Contributor

VRBO needs to add this is in the language, There are some new properties in your area that VRBO added by expanding your geographic area to Include properties outside your immediate area such as; additional VRs, hotels, B&B‘s as well as camp grounds and hostels!

georgygirl1955 Senior Contributor

not to mention: using the marketing dollars earned from service fees  to....create and run a tv informacional intended to entice more guests to invest in their own VR.

scottr Active Contributor

Interesting article here.  One of the quotes is "Continuing investments on accelerated supply acquisition ...".  This statement comes right after "Both HomeAway and trivago are projected to report adjusted loss".   Putting those two together, seems HA is betting the future on new owners, who don't have any preconceived ideas (eg personal experience) about what how to manage a VHR.  Unfortunately for HA, our area has capped the number of VHRs (and there is a waiting list), so HA is stuck with us owners who have been doing this for some time. 

twomoreyears Senior Contributor

I wasn't jumping for joy when I heard their new program was to get more people to buy VR's.  And I was left shaking my head at their starry-eyed portrayal of how much money you can make.  I understand why they can't be forthright with the outcome, because then no one would rush out and buy one, so the show wouldn't succeed.  I just wish they did one where they featured an area to visit, and the existing VR's.  I suspect their data-mining showed no one would watch that one.

I haven't watched the show other than the premiere that they showed at the Summit.  It would be a waste of time for me.

Well, my first reaction to this new thing on my marketplace feed was that it was something new and interesting.  TODAY I look at the same info and see there are about 15 "new" listings in a .2 mile radius from me.  OMG what the heck?  Why so many new listings to contend with all of a sudden???  Yikes! 

Well wait, no, these aren't "new" at all.  These are listings I took out of my comp set on purpose, for a variety of reasons that only someone who actually is familiar with my market would know about. 

My list of things I now have on ignore with VRBO... Marketplace Feed.  Ranking Metrics.  And honestly, Market Maker is headed in that direction too.  Until I have confidence that the comps that I, ME, have selected are the actual comps that are being used to pull data to feed Market Maker, I don't have confidence that the tool is as great as it could be/should be.  There's some data I'm seeing that leads me to believe that, though I'm TOLD it's only the comps I chose, that that may not be correct. And considering I've been the lone person to educate VRBO that there is a bug in the system that has TWO comp sets operating simultaneously, I just am not confident in the info that my comp set is what is feeding MM.   One comp says 91, the other says 54.  That might not seem like much of a difference, but if those extra comps are beachfront properties (and I'm right across the street from the beach), those listings would distort the ADR enough that it would make my pricing strategy flawed.

feibus Senior Contributor

I saw this card last night and went to investigate and found that it had added some homes into the comp set.

What was interesting and sent me down a rabbit hole was that one of the homes it added to the comp set (that I had earlier removed) was my second home in the same resort.  Which is fine, in a way, they do compete with each other.

What sent me down the rabbit hole is that my two homes are exactly alike, but according to the comp set, they're only 82% matching.  How can that be if they're essentially the exact same home with the same amenities?

So I went off to investigate and found that the amenities list for the two homes do not match. Whhaaaa???  It looks like one has more amenities because it originated on HA and the other originated on VRBO and the conversion created some temporary amenities that haven't gone away.  So the two homes don't match each other very well.  Fun!

hmmmm Senior Contributor

I gave my feed back that is sounded as if it was coming from an inexperienced programmer, very young in experience and the ways of motivation.

I think instilling fear back fires.

susaninrehoboth Premier Contributor

I just checked my metrics.  I lost a booking for week of 7/6 to a competitor. Someone inquired about my property but book the competitor, per the message. I had a request to book for this week through Vrbo, which I accepted. I didn't have any inquiries for this week. The only possible explanations I can think of are Vrbo glitch or this guest booked an additional property for others in her group. BTW, I book for $1200 more than my competitor. I'm not overpriced nor is the other property. Their property is 4 blocks from the beach. Mine is oceanfront. Location is a very big price determiner.