6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2018 3:27 PM by twobitrentals RSS

And it begins.....

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

These are some of the horror stories that give us all a bad name. Name of HA listing is not the owner according to this interview......how does that happen? A family getting evicted from the vacation rental.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=792Or9rjgWo

• Re: And it begins.....
          psphoto Active Contributor

Ridiculous...I hope they are successful in going after the property "owner" shown here.

The local authorities could have something to say if the smoke detectors were inoperable before the occupancy took place.

As for HA/VRBO responding to inaccurate info on listings.....good luck with that!

I complained about properties near mine listed as "oceanfront" when you could tell by the photos that they obviously weren't.

They did nothing, and the properties continue to lie to this day.

It'll probably take a lawsuit to get things fixed.

Pete

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

Yes, I suppose that it appears that I am “blaming” HA, but in the interview the true owner states that the listing shows the wrong owner, the house was in disrepair and actually dangerous, especially for little children. Why didn’t the owner address those issues and why does HIS LISTING show someone else as the owner? I think his response indicates he doesn’t want to be blamed for this fiasco, but he is ultimately responsible for the accuracy of the listing and the condition of the home. This type of situation gives us ALL a bad name.

However, I would like to see all the platforms require proof of ownership before listing. It could be as easy as providing current paid property tax receipt, but that does not relieve owners from the ultimate responsibility of their property when they list with a property manager. I know I am speculating that the listing was in the name of the property manager and not a scammer, but I could be wrong.

I understand what you are saying about misrepresentation in the listings about being ocean front, etc. Hopefully, their reviews will indicate otherwise that their listings will lose business. It is a shame for those first few that rely on the information being accurate. I am not sure how HA could monitor those misrepresentations.  The unfortunate consequence of these type of owners is that we all get a bad name and HA gets a bad reputation from those that book those type of properties.

psphoto Active Contributor

I don't expect HA/VRBO to catch every bad or misrepresented listing, but when I notify them of an ongoing false listing and they do nothing.....then it shows they just don't care as long as the revenue stream stays the same. It ultimately hurt them in the end, as their whole business model depends on the faith of guests in being able to book online with accurate and truthful information.

Pete

moosebigd Active Contributor

I watched the video.  Please explain how this booking got by Homeaway's filters:  The family stated there would be 8 people; the listing has a maximum occupancy of 7.  It's not like the family was trying to sneak in extra persons.