14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2018 10:11 AM by feibus RSS

The Baby Basket?

vrdoctor Senior Contributor

This thread on the Airbnb forum on Reddit got me thinking...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirBnB/comments/7xm4ua/uh_thats_a_new_one_home_birth_request/

TXxJ1MppawDC7dLs-wy5K2jU3FcsokNmq5CqbD2tyA8.png

Maybe they think it stands for Air Birth and Baby?

• Re: The Baby Basket?
          margaret CommunityAmbassador

I'm speechless!

Senior Contributor

margaret wrote:

I'm speechless!

I'm suspicious!

green_mango wrote:

... even if the husband and mom are licensed midwives...

I think the prospective guest meant that there would be two midwives and her husband and mom, so four total.

vrdoctor Senior Contributor

I can just imagine the HA video now.

"I've picked up these bottles at the local farmers market and had them silkscreened with our property name.  Make sure to provide several sets of surgical masks and nitrile gloves as well as surgical hand soap and sanitizer.  Make sure to have cleaning supplies as home births can get a bit...messy.  Now we'll put in other delivery essentials like diapers, a thermometer and stethoscope.  I like to provide an 18 Megapixel digital SLR camera so that my guests can capture the moment in high-definition.  If you really want to delight, then put a note that the guests can keep the camera as a keepsake.  Add in a can of formula and a few gender neutral newborn size Onesies with your VR's logo and you are all set!"

sunnycs CommunityAmbassador

And don't forget a card placed prominently in the rental with the proper legal address...   for the EMT's, just in case 911 has to get involved.

I'm curious what the back-up plan is if the new arrival decides to show up early, or dallies a bit and doesn't quite make the week of the booking.  Babies are notorious for ingnoring due dutes.

linky17 Active Contributor

Branded cigars would make nifty mementos, too, for the legion of relatives likely to be on hand to celebrate.  Ashtrays, too!

VRBO could get an edge on "Air Birth and Baby" by adding 'Indoor Birth Pool' to its filters.

Meanwhile, I just might be adding a new clause to my RA.  Sigh.

green_mango Active Contributor

Oh HECK NO!  I get it, I live in the PacNW where home births are a normal thing - but, even if the husband and mom are licensed midwives (I'm guessing not since the message didn't say that!), it's still a no.  Too much liability for me.  Too much mess. 

feibus Senior Contributor

No Pets.  No Births.

(make sure the deposit is enough to cover carpet and mattress cleaning)

sage Senior Contributor

Birth tourism is booming. And VRs are commonly sought places to host the newborns and mothers. Although I would suspect that normally they would want the birth to occur in a hospital where documentation of the details of the anchor baby's birth would be ensured.

scowol Active Contributor

Fortunately they learned about it during an inquiry.  Most of us won’t be so lucky.  I just made a note to update my RA to add to this to the list of prohibited “events.”   Sheesh, previously I thought my worst worry was a wedding ceremony or bachelor party. 

georgygirl1955 Senior Contributor

It is possible that they are not US citizens, and want to have a baby in USA because baby will be a citizen here.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I Have actually had calls (don’t know how they get my number) to rent my place for 30 days or more during which time a Pregnant mother will be coming from another country to give birth here with a DR that they are working with at a local hospital near my home. (Yeah right!!). For lack of a better word...these are anchor babies for their parents to stay past theiir travel visas.  Not happening in my home. AND; when they stay.......guess who’s house they will be staying in, perhaps even past the time of their original intent. No Thank you!

By the way follks.....I had my last two children at home and it is not messy, didn’t deliver in a bed, but a birthing chair, no meds, and there were not complications. Birth is a very natural thing....it has only become a medical thing in the last century. My midwives were AMAZING.

green_mango Active Contributor

I'd think that angle would make it more important to give birth in a hospital? 

Home birthing is popular where I live - many families just don't want the medical system calling the shots and pushing procedures.