5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2018 5:01 PM by twobitrentals RSS

The Campfire Starter Kit

homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hello Everyone!

Do any of you have fire pits at your property? If so, here's a great way to give your guests an evening around the fire!

abovebeyondlogo8.png

What unique features does your property have?

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

• Re: The Campfire Starter Kit
          ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

No to the Axe mentioned in the last few seconds.  I supply various sized wood, courtesy of the local sawyer.  An axe in the hands of a drunk (you supplied the bourbon!) guest is an insurance nightmare.

Otherwise, very nice ideas. 

db.meyer Senior Contributor

While this might be a great idea for a beach property, many of our homes are in no-outdoor fires zones, surrounded by trees, etc.  No outdoor fires or fireworks allowed in my area.  Here's an example of what could happen after they go to bed (although the cause of this particular fire has not yet been determined):  Fire forces 16 to evacuate from Incline Village vacation home

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

Most worrisome comment in this article was the statement that there were no smoke detectors downstairs.  What responsible VR owner would not have installed fire/smoke detectors on ALL levels of the home? 

db.meyer Senior Contributor

I too was surprised to read no smoke detectors as that is a rental permit requirement/inspection item.  Perhaps they also don't have a permit to rent?  I hope they have the proper VR/fire insurance.

Edited to add:  Apparently there is no rental permit/inspection required per a recent article which also stated one previous fire/death in another VR rental.  What are they waiting for?

"There are about 1,080 rental homes in Washoe County. About 940 of those are in Incline Village and Crystal Bay, Washoe County does not require the owners of short-term rentals to get a permit or a fire safety inspection. Regan said homeowners should have a carbon monoxide detector, proper exits and lighting, proper occupancy for the number of bedrooms and square footage and smoke detectors in every room on every floor."

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

My VR is located in the county with farmland all around the subdivision. I would love to have a fire pit, but my fear is that sparks could start a fire in the farmland grasses AND irresponsible guests may not be as quiet as I need them to be for my neighbors. Wouldn’t we all love to be absolutely positive of mature, responsible, considerate guests, but we just can’t and so I eliminate anything that “could” provide a problem for my long term neighbors who have to get up for work every morning of the week.  So, while I would love that for those that would enjoy and keep the noise down and would put the fire out completely before retiring to bed, etc. I just can’t risk it.