We are BACK to having two different comp set numbers. See screen shots. This first one says I have 85 properties. The second one says I have 87 properties.
I contacted CS about this mid March. I was very specific when I contacted them, letting them know there were two different comp set numbers, and telling them EXACTLY where they can see it. We both looked at two different numbers together. On March 28 I get this email:
You notified us about an error you experienced in regards to your comp set and market rank showing different numbers. The issue you reported has been closed as working as designed, and I have included a message from the developers below.
Note from Developers
(There are differences between “Your Market” and “Your Comp Set”. The market is defined by the search demand of other listings relative to your geographic location which is meant to represent the total set of listings in the same “market”. Whereas the Comp Set is defined by the a subset of listings which include listings that were predicted to be competitors based on various attributes, and also listings that were manually added/removed by the owner to customize what they feel their competitor set is.
And so it is by design that the 2 sets of units (market and compset) have different sizes.)
I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to call about something, have a case opened, subsequently closed, then get these emails that absolutely do not answer the question I asked. I did not ask about comp set vs market. I know the difference. I know that my comp set is about 85 properties (or should be, that's what I set), but that my market is over 8,000 and I know why. I replied back but as usual, no one ever replies to the replies. So, issue remains.