27 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2017 10:55 AM by bobbie32 RSS

Netflix problem

bobbie32 Premier Contributor

Be aware that if you offer Apple TV or Roku or even a smart TV, but do not offer Netflix, you need to ask a guest to sign out of Netflix when they leave, if they have used their own Netflix account.   We are in a situation now, where we have been locked out of our own Netflix account because a stranger in the house we previously rented is now using our account. We have tried for 2 days to block this stranger’s use of our Netflix account.  Netflix has walked us thru “the fix”, but keeps telling us that it can take up to 8 hours.  We would know how to do it if we were physically "in" that VR, but to do it remotely is tricky.  If you rent a vacation home yourself and use your Netflix account, be sure you disable it before you check out.  We may have to cancel the account and start a new account in order to solve this problem. 

I might also add that we have a Netflix plan for using only one device at a time.  If you had a plan where you can use 2 or more devices at a time, you might not even be aware of the problem. 

• Re: Netflix problem
          feibus Senior Contributor

Sorry this is happening to you.  Why not just change your password?  Or did the stranger take control of the account and change all the personal info?

We had a guest leave their Amazon Fire behind... cost them $30 for us to ship it back to them.  Thankfully, the guest after them found it and turned it in to our managers.

Changing password did not work since Netflix in the VR is still signed in.  If they (the current VR renters) signed out, it would work.  I think Netflix knows they have a huge problem relative to vacation rentals. 

feibus Senior Contributor

Ok, now the "wait 8 hours" comment makes sense.  That's likely the time it between when Netflix checks authentication on a user who is logged in.  Is it working for you today?

After the first 8 hours, the problem was not fixed because the stranger was doing a marathon Netflix session.  After the second 8 hours, it did finally work and the stranger is now locked out.  Now we know...but if any owner offers a smart TV the same thing could happen.  It does not need Apple TV or Roku...just takes a smart TV. 

Glad it is over...

georgygirl1955 Senior Contributor

I would allow netfiix but they would have to use their own acccount. I would not provide an account.

That is exactly what we did - used our own account. The owner provided Roku, but nothing else - not even national networks. Little did we know, that we needed to sign out and not just turn the TV off.  We thought changing the password would solve the problem, but it did not.  And you have to go thru leaps and bounds to sign out of Netflix on a TV, particularly if the version of Apple TV or Roku is older. 

We don't provide Apple TV, nor Roku, nor do we have a smart TV.  If we had a smart TV, the same Netflix problem might occur.  

I have a question, why couldn't you find out from VRBO who the person was and charge his /her account for using your personal Netflix away from the VRBO or get in touch with them to sign out and stop using your account?

sapphiresteve Senior Contributor

OT, but as long as the subject of Netflix came up:

There is a phishing scam now circulating that pretends to be from Netflix.  It is the standard scam: there is a problem with your account which you can resolve by clicking <here> and entering all sorts of information. The only thing new is that it pretends to come from Netflix.

timthek Active Contributor

This is the primary reason we don't provide a Roku or Apple TV. Trying to get people to login/logout of their own accounts or dealing with accounts being locked or compromised seemed like a big mess. I know some people pay for a separate Netflix account for their rental, but I don't think that solves the problem. People want to be in their own netflix account so that they can keep up with their shows and pickup where they left off. I think that sets you up for having guests log out of the provided account and login to their own....then causing a problem for the next guest.

Reason #2 is that a lot of people (I think) are already travelling with their own devices. They are small enough to bring along, they already have their own accounts and they are comfortable with their own devices. I mounted an HDMI port on the wall right behind the TV console that is directly wired to the TV. Guests can just plug in and go.

vrdoctor Senior Contributor

Hi Bobbie,

So you were renting a vacation rental and signed in with your netflix account and forgot to log out before leaving?  Or is this someone using your netflix account from your your own VR?

We were renting a vacation home in another state in November.  When we checked out we did not log off of Netflix - there was no way of doing that thru the TV - at least there was not an obvious way to log off.  We would have had to use our laptop to do that and frankly it never occurred to us to do that.  So a month later we were locked out of Netflix at home while trying to stream a movie, since our plan is for only streaming to one device. So whoever was staying in that VR was using Netflix thus blocking us from using our account.  This had nothing to do with our vacation rental for which we do not offer Apple TV, Roku or even a smart TV.

Bottom line is that Netflix does not make it easy to log off or block someone else from using your account.  Now we know how to log off - Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 11.10.19 AM.png

vrdoctor Senior Contributor

Got it, I thought that you had a guest that somehow had hacked your netflix and was maliciously using it.  It sounds as if the next guest in the VR that you stayed in has no idea that they were using your account.  We had the same issue when netflix put a limit on the number of concurrent streams and had to upgrade so that our guests and us could watch at the same time.  I think the cost difference for us was only about $2 a month for more streams.

mike-dfv Senior Contributor

Netflix has (or used to have) an option in account settings to sign out of all connected devices.

Yes, they have that option from a computer.  But it does not aways work if the stranger using one of the devices is still watching a movie or doing a marathon session.  That is why they say it can take 8 hours.  But even the 8 hours did not work in our case and we even called Netflix and they could not do it from their end.  It did not work the first time.  2+ days later it was finally fixed.  We will make certain that if we ever sign in from a vacation rental we will use the above noted ridiculous code to sign out, before we check out.  

hrwi Contributor

We had a guest rent a movie on amazon once. Fortunately it was a $6 lesson to not allow that! I'm fine with them using my amazon account (and no limit on device numbers), but not paying for other things.

We also had someone delete one of our netflix profiles and add themselves as the fifth family member. People and their audacity!!

• Re: Re: Netflix problem
                                          Contributor

Fortunately it was a $6 lesson

$6 - oh, I feel your pain I'd be OK with $6 once in the while as long as they enjoy the movie.
                                          Seriously though: purchasing videos through Amazon is usually blocked by PIN that only could be re-set if they know your account credentials. How did they manage to bypass that?
                                          Deleting profiles could be an issue though - I think your guests just did it out of confusion. I think I'll just create a "Guest" profile - will not solve deleting issues but could make things easier for those who don't know how to watch and not comfortable going to my family profiles.

sunnycs CommunityAmbassador

Does Netflix have a "Feedback" button?  I've often thought it would be nice if they'd offer some sort of a discounted Vacation Rental add on (with easier or auto log-outs), since so many of us would like to include it in our properties...   without using our personal accounts.

Bobbie, thank you for this advise.  My daughter just told me tonight not to open a Netflix account for people to use because they can take your password and use it personally. I didn't understand how all of these VRBO places advertise "we have Netflix!"  I was excited to list that but I think being a newbie, I better tell them to use their own account for Netflix.

Sorry you had so much trouble.

Well, technically they can't "steal" your password from any of your devices. Once you log in, the password is never displayed anywhere. So they can't just go home and start using your password. BUT....I've noticed at home that my devices get logged out of Netflix fairly often and I have to log back in for my kids. Because of this, you would have to provide your guests with your Netflix password in case they got logged out. I am guessing this is houw bobbie's guests got her password in the first place.

bobbie.....How did your renter get your password? Am I right that you provide it to your guests in case they need to log back in?

I think this is the flaw in trying to offer Netflix. You have to provide the password just in case, and when you do there is nothing stopping guests from continuing to use it when they leave (well besides morals and ethics).

As noted above...this was not a situation for our rental. This issue occurred after we had rented someone else's vacation rental and used our own Netflix account to watch a movie.  When we checked out we did not disable our Netflix account from this rental's TV.  So a month later when we tried to watch a movie in our own home, we were locked out because a current renter in the vacation home we had previously rented, was using our account to watch a movie - several movies.  After two days it got resolved.  But it really is very difficult to sign out of Netflix on a TV.  Thus, the word of advice to everyone.

Ohhh, I missed that part. I could see how that would be a problem for you as the guest. My thought is how this could be a problem as an owner....because as an owner you'd likely have to provide your password as netflix seems to log itself out from time to time.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I have a smart tv and have had Netflix for several years and have never had a problem. I have instructions about how to use the dish remote for regular tv and then the tv remote to get to Netflix. I have it set up for 2 users so that I can use it at home and guests can use it at the VR. However, we hardly ever use it at home as we have limited data. Now having said that.....my guests have no idea what my password is for Netflix, it transfers automatically on the smart tv.

I've had a different experience than your, though not with renters as I don't provide them with my netflix. On my kids' tablets, on our "smart" (but really stupid) BluRay players, and on our Roku devices, at least once a month someone in the house calls me over to re-enter the netflix password. Maybe it has to do with software updates at least on the tablets, but I don't know why the other devices bump us out of our account from time to time.

What will/would you do if one of your tenants called you up and said the TV was asking for your Netflix password to sign in?

I just figure that I am already paying for a decent cable package, a lot of people travel with streaming devices and have their own accounts, and the BluRay players do support Netflix if people want to log in "at their own risk".

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

TO answer your question....“I pray it doesn’t happen”...LOL!

AND, I only offer local stations through Dish and so I felt it important to give guest some options, especially for kids who want to watch age appropriate tv.

I Have noticed when I stay in my home that sometimes guests don’t use the tab for “guests” (I have owner, guests, and kids tabs) and I find some shows that say previously viewed under owner tab that are quite raunchy I shake my head as I would rather NOT have guests think I am watching that stuff, but maybe they watch under the owner tab so that other guests won’t think it was another guest watching that stuff. LOL

mike-dfv Senior Contributor

If you have to give the password to a guest, change the password when they checkout.

swlinphx Premier Contributor

There's a way you can do it.  The last time we tried it was the following:

Disassociating a Registered Netflix Account from WiFi Blu-ray or HDTV

*for guests upon check-out who have used the service on any of our Netflix-enabled living room entertainment systems

• Using the directional buttons on the unit’s remote control press the following sequence:  “up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, up, up, up, up”

• Scroll the cursor to select “Deactivate”.  Ensure that upon relaunch of Netflix it asks if you are a registered user again.

*See the “Netflix Help Center” on the Web for more details