43 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2017 1:52 PM by ohst8er RSS

I don't understand this - could someone please explain

shiplap Active Contributor

I am not quite understanding the statement below.  It used to be when someone "inquired" about booking and sent me a message through the system the dates they requested were not blocked from my calender because 1.  I did not preapprove the booking or declined it or 2. they never got back with me.  So does this change mean that I will actually show as BLOCKED when they haven't booked it yet?  AND I have to go into the system and UNBLOCK it manually if I decline the booking?  I have had an instance of two inquiries for the same dates and was waiting for one or the other to hit the "book it" button.  I told them both that there was another individual that wanted to book the same dates and the first one who clicked that button got it.  So if one person inquires and I am waiting for them to book it, I could loose a potential second person for the same dates because now the inquiry will show as blocked and anyone wanting those same dates won't even see my listing???  Are you kidding?  Or am I wrong?  I'm not understanding

• Auto-declines hidden from search results: If a booking request for one of your properties is auto-declined because a traveler has not received a response in 24 hours, we may proactively hide the property from search results to help preserve your search ranking. You can easily un-hide the property when you are available again.

• Re: I don't understand this - could someone please explain
          captmarkhd Senior Contributor

If I'm reading this correctly they are saying that if you get a BIN and don't respond to it, the BIN is automatically declined due to a no response from the owner. If this happens then they may "proactively"  hide the property. I assume that by hiding they mean that they will temporarily take the listing off line until you go back in and reactivate it. Obviously every time you decline a BIN then you drop in search results according to Best Match. My guess is that they have had owners complain that they were not able to respond to a BIN or even worse a series of BIN for whatever reason and the owners saw their rankings plummet. If you can manually go in and easily reactivate the listing once you are able  then personally I believe that this is a positive. As an example I am heading to Cuba for a two week vacation latter in the year. I am supposed to have Internet BUT the system there is very unreliable. So in the case that I don't have good access and I get a BIN and can't respond then my listing would be taken temporarily offline. I would much rather have this happen then get several BINs and loose my ranking in Best Match.

mtnhomehideaway Senior Contributor

I think you're being way too generous in your analysis of HomeAway's motives.  An owner can temporarily hide his listing himself if he wants.  This is more "spin" from HomeAway.  It isn't going to "proactively" hide a property to help owners.  It's going to hide properties to punish owners who don't respond to a BIN within 24 hours.  IMO.

When HomeAway says "jump" it wants owners to ask "how high?"

First off I was making assumptions based on the notice. But If an owner does not respond to a  BIN with either an acceptance, a denial or at least a response then maybe they should be punished! Unresponsive owners give ALL owners a bad reputation including the good owners. I've got to tell you it drives me crazy when I find a place I like and I  have a few questions OR I place a BIN and get no response from the owner or Mgr. It's not courteous nor is it professional.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

It is more about the guests....(in my opinion) if nobody is responding they don't want other guests going through the same issue. Guests don't like when they book and there is absolutely no response. However, I am with you if someone is not going to be able to respond they should take action themselves to "hide" their listing temporarily. I always get very nervous when I am in the mountains camping and there is no cell coverage. I usually telll my guests that my son is covering for me in the event that they need to get ahold of me in a situation that needs immediate attention. Otherwise they need to leave a message that I will get back to once a day by driving up higher into the range to pick up random signals. I never really thought about inquiries, or BIN's. It would be nice to have a "I'm out of the the office until.........." button that we could push that wouldn't hide our listing, but gives any inquiry, BIN, IB a message that they won't get a response until we return. Then they could either wait or move to another property.

I Absolutely agree with you but IMHO, the same owners that are not courteous enough to respond probably won't be courteous enough to take their listings off line either. When I go to Cuba, I am trying to decide whether to temporarily put my listing on IB with as you suggest an accompanying Out of office template reply with the reservation confirmation. I don't want to necessarily take an IB but at the same time I don't want to take my listing offline and loose bookings either..Hmmmm

captmarkhd and twobitrentals - I agree that unresponsive owners are rude and discourteous.  As a traveler, it's very frustrating to not have owners respond.  This has happened to me several times and I don't like it.  I agree - an owner should respond ASAP.  I have 100% response rate and I respond within one hour.  But - with BIN - the traveler receives a response within 24 hours.  Either from the owner or an automatic decline if the owner hasn't responded.  So - heaven forbid an owner decides to let the system automatically decline the BIN request.  Isn't the auto-decline supposed to be a good feature of BIN?  Does a traveler really care if an owner responds personally and declines the booking or the system automatically declines it?

I see this as another hoop HomeAway is forcing owners to jump through. 

mike-dfv CommunityAmbassador

twobitrentals wrote:

It would be nice to have a "I'm out of the the office until.........." button that we could push that wouldn't hide our listing, but gives any inquiry, BIN, IB a message that they won't get a response until we return. Then they could either wait or move to another property.

I really like this "out of the office" idea, twobit. Let the traveler decide if they would like to wait or move on knowing they won't get a response until...

There really isn't anything nefarious going here and I don't think a listing will be hidden after just one response. If an owner is not responding regularly, then something needs to be done. HA is just stating for the record what that will be. Like georgygirl1955 said, "Show me, ......not them!"

georgygirl1955 CommunityAmbassador

If you are an involved owner, who pays attention to your listing, and responds to inquiries and booking requests....

then this will not affect you,

and may help you  / me.

They will close down the non-responders.

I am all for it. Show me, ......not them!

greggt Active Contributor

I agree georgygirl, if one does not respond to requests, hide their listings. Not responding makes Home Away/VRBO AND all of us look bad. I agree with this move 100%!

VRBO used to prominently display an owner's response time and response rate.  It now buries this information in the listing section about the owner.  I doubt very many travelers ever see this information anymore. 

Instead of hiding listings to "protect" the Best Match ranking of non-responsive owners (yeah, right) HomeAway could display the response rate and time on the search page.  HomeAway could also provide travelers with a sort feature to search listings by response rating.  Show travelers an owner's response history prominently before they even have to click on the listing to view the detail.  Let travelers decide whether or not to inquire about a property that has a poor response time.

u0999 Premier Contributor

maybe because non-responsive listings are sorted above mtn's because mtn does not have OLB for example. or because those non responsive listings have more open calendar (= more chance for HA fee).

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

I consider myself to be a very conscientious homeowner.  I monitor my email, phone and dashboard constantly, and reply immediately.  My blood pressure probably rises when I get an inquiry while away from my computer and I know that I cannot respond within minutes.  Yes, I do have the app on my phone.

However, hiding the listing due to non-responsiveness at the first instance is not a desirable event when I pay for a listing.  Sure, I can understand HomeAway wanting to eradicate the complaints that they receive about habitually non-responsive homeowners.  As a traveler, I don't want to wait around for a response either.

BUT, and this is a big issue for me (as I have brought this up in other threads), HomeAway does not provide homeowners with a guaranteed method of response.  If I am away from my authenticated computer, or in a situation where I cannot access the dashboard due to not having phone service to authenticate a new internet connection (from a cruise ship, secure government worksite, or an island in the tropics) is removing my listing the only solution HA has?  I think not.  To ensure a homeowner has the means to respond, HA needs to offer multiple authentication methods.  Only then would I condone this action.

shawn_ha HomeAway Employee

Hi mtnhomehideaway - Thrilled to see you have a 100% response rate, that is hard to do, congrats.  I wanted to be clear that this is not about "manipulating owners and travelers", so here is an example.

Assume there are 25 properties in your area that are no longer being rented or managed (ex. property sold, changed property managers). They have not accepted or declined a booking,or responded to a Inquiry, in months. The calendars are open and their base rates apply going forward so they continue to get booking requests each week that should be going to you or others near you instead.  While it seems easy enough for travelers to contact another property, some do, but many don't - especially when they experience this 2 or 3 times. I'll add that this small subset of non-responsive properties, are the reason so many travelers send Inquiries that say "Are you available for these dates?" instead of sending you a booking request.

These are the properties we are addressing, not you or the other active properties. The message that started this thread was included in a broader email communication, to ensure broad communication, but please know this is really a benefit for all the active properties.

Hope you all have a great Sunday and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

- Shawn

ohst8er Active Contributor

HI Shawn,

You said, "Thrilled to see you have a 100% response rate, that is hard to do, congrats. "   We've never NOT had a 100% response rate.  It ISN'T hard to do, unless you are someone who's life takes you off the grid regularly.  Though that comment was quite flattering to mtnhome, it gave me a bit of a chuckle.

At any rate, when we first starting looking for alternate sources to hotels, I stumbled upon VRBO.  This was about 8 years ago.  And I recall sending out a few requests to owners, then MANY requests to owners.  I was quite disappointed to find that very few owners actually responded at all, and many that did responded with a "sorry, those dates are not available."  There were even a few people who responded with just a quote, and when I didn't accept it, they would send me emails telling me my first payment was due.  Really soured me to the whole site, and I instead switched to Redweek.  The owners were a bit quicker to respond there.   So now that we are owners (2.5 years) We would never consider NOT responding to an owner or keeping my calendar up to date.  I am still surprised that there are owners out there that operate that way.  I DO appreciate the control factor that pushes owners to be more accountable.  However for those of us who continually dot all their eyes and cross all their t's, it would be nice if we were given some creative license and some trust to operate our own properties as we see fit. 

Just as a Westin in NYC does not  operate the same way as a Days Inn in Dayton OH, there are so many variations between properties and locales that the "one size fits all" approach just does not work, and will never work.  There are just too many nuances.  VRBO needs to allow the people who do what they do correctly the autonomy to continue to run their shop.  Perhaps just consider a probation period where newbies (and those that refuse to keep their listing current) have to walk lock step with procedures.   You can have newbie probation for those who just get started, and offer lots of hand holding, then perhaps double secret probation for those listings that are the bad apples. 

feibus CommunityAmbassador

The way it was explained to me was:

There are a bunch of listings where BIN requests don't get responses at all.  Annoys travelers.

So... if you have a BIN listing where you do not respond at all within 24 hours, after one or more of these "ignores", your listing will get automatically hidden from search until you go into the listing and actively re-show it.  That you declined (or ignored) the listing is also a ding anyway, so instead of racking up numerous dings, it just takes the listing out of search until you are able to start paying attention to the BIN requests.

kand325 Active Contributor

If Homeaway required travelers to input all the information needed so that the owner can make an immediate decision, this would be much less of an issue.  But guests don't read the listing details!  So they just send an inquiry saying "I would like to book this property."  Well, now I have to email back and ask more questions.

Of course it seems many travelers love to send a request late at night after you go to bed.  I think this will really hurt those people who have guests from far off time zones, and the traveler is now asleep once the owner gets a chance to respond in the morning.

shiplap Active Contributor

Every request to book or inquiry I have had the guest offers up a little information.  They want to tell me why they want to come to the area, if they are celebrating an anniversary, wedding, where they are from, etc..  When the guest clicks on the button to request to book, VRBO suggests that they "tell the owner a little about themselves".

Surprisingly, they do! I have only had one person that hasn't.  If when I reply, they don't give up any information, I'm not inclined to accept the booking.

I think it's a great idea if VRBO made that statement a little more bold and specific with some preliminary questions. 

shiplap - This is a great question and thread, thanks for asking it.  The clarification is what most here noted, but I am confirming that this is specifically for Booking Requests that are received which are not Accepted or Declined in 24 hours.  The specific reason for 'may proactively' is that our systems will recognize the difference between it being your first time, or once in 20 requests, versus someone who has 5 in a row.  If a person is traveling in Europe for 2 weeks with limited access to email and has 5 requests, that can negatively impact ones ranking - so this helps prevent that. 

This program helps to address the properties that are No Longer Renting, and thus no longer responding.  In summary, there is smart logic to it, protects people if they are unavailable and helps to the Inquiries and Booking Requests goes to the active properties.  This never applies to an Inquiry that you Pre-approve, and you are never penalized if you send a pre-approval that you delete or is not paid by the traveler. 

We are working hard to ensure that you see more information about each traveler in the header of the Inquiry or Booking Requests. Our goal is to provide you with more verified information, and to provide more contextual information so you can either feel comfortable immediately or have insights to facilitate a great conversation with the potential traveler.

Thank you for being a great part of HomeAway, these are for you and all of our great owners!

- Shawn

HI Shawn

Thank you for responding! I for one am completely in support of this new policy. Since your here and you mentioned giving us as much information as possible I would like to ask another question. Last week it was brought to the forums attention that a potential travelers inquiry is now limited to 500 characters. This was confirmed by Erinn and that it was always supposed to have that character limit but there was a bug that did not enforce that limit. The same day I got a phone call from a potential guest that was very frustrated as she had questions and concerns that needed answers. After 20min trying to make her questions more concise she finally gave up and was getting ready to move on when she saw the call button, she gave me a call. Now with the new policy this is a mute point, she cannot call. I believe that this is a simple request although I am not a programmer , can you  please remove the character limit on inquiries, put the bug back in the system? Now more than ever since we have to communicate through the HA platform, it's critical for a potential guest to have the ability to ask as many questions as they need to feel comfortable in booking.

lakensea Contributor

shawn_ha wrote:

..........We are working hard to ensure that you see more information about each traveler in the header of the Inquiry or Booking Requests. Our goal is to provide you with more verified information, and to provide more contextual information so you can either feel comfortable immediately or have insights to facilitate a great conversation with the potential traveler.

- Shawn

Then why are you removing the owner's phone number - what better way is there to verify the traveler's information?  Removing the email and phone number is actually less information!

pearlyshells Active Contributor

Tsk-tsk! I guess Shawn didn't see your question...with 7 Likes...of two days earlier.

lakensea and pearlyshells - I understand how the actual phone is a great way to verify information, but will defer to the other threads on that have been discussing this topic.  The new view when receiving and responding to guests now has placements for up to 11 pieces of traveler information, with additional available as well.  We are actively working to populate as much as feasible for all travelers, to include verifications.

Information includes: Photo, Name, from city, previous number of trips, how long they have been using HomeAway, we are working to verify phone, verify emails, previous traveler start ratings, reviews written, verifying google accounts, Facebook accounts, linked-in accounts, as well as hometown, schools (colleges) and job.  We have also tested some general questions of: 1) What is reason for this trip?  and  2) Who are you traveling with?  to guide the travelers to include key information to help you make a decision or to facilitate the conversation. 

And yes, I didn't respond here in 24-hours. My apologies. 

- Shawn

jl11 Senior Contributor

Wow, some serious data mining going on there!

If I were a traveler and asked to submit that degree of personal information to a large corporate site (that will undoubtedly monetize it) just to send an inquiry, I'd click off the site instantly. I'm much more comfortable submitting a drivers' license and CC#, like AirBnB to verify identity, but there's no way I'd provide social media accounts, hometowns, schools, jobs, etc... and I predict a lot of travelers will bail out during the inquiry stage if that's what's required.

IMO, a phone number is much simpler ... and certainly eliminates any phishing issues. Sometimes the simple solution is the best solution.

~ Edited for typo

lakensea Contributor

shawn_ha wrote:

Information includes: Photo, Name, from city, previous number of trips, how long they have been using HomeAway, we are working to verify phone, verify emails, previous traveler start ratings, reviews written, verifying google accounts, Facebook accounts, linked-in accounts, as well as hometown, schools (colleges) and job.  We have also tested some general questions of: 1) What is reason for this trip?  and  2) Who are you traveling with?  to guide the travelers to include key information to help you make a decision or to facilitate the conversation. 

And yes, I didn't respond here in 24-hours. My apologies.

- Shawn

Shawn,

The 24 hour comment was just to show that it's not always that easy to respond on-line that quickly.

All the information that you list I do not consider necessary to vet a traveler.  Let us decide what info we want from the traveler as it pertains to our specialized homes.

The question of "who are you traveling with?" is pointless because many guests will not include the age of small children.  You need to have a field that forces them to list the ages of all infants, toddlers, and children.  They need to be included in the total guest count so that they can be charged appropriately.  Not all owners allow free babies and toddlers.

HA also needs to have a field that forces the guest to reveal if there will be visitors during their stay.  It's becoming more and more common for a guest to enter two adults and then they don't bother mentioning that they are inviting another couple with their kids.

Hometown, college, linkedin account, facebook, etc. is all meaningless since we won't have a name to google first and find this info out before corresponding.

We know guests do NOT READ the entire listing description.  So it is all pointless for them to enter in a booking request or do an instant book if we still have to have a back and forth conversation.  We still will need to get a signed rental agreement, so it's not like booking requests and instant books make it any easier to reserve a place.

lbl Contributor

North Carolina, and I'm sure other states as well, have statutes where vacation occupancy is specifically required for booking confirmation/agreements.  These requirements are in place to protect the safety of overcrowding.  This is a major legal objective for municipality police power and all zoning.   Don't you get it?  This is the stuff than brings vacation rental bans to the forefront.  

lbl wrote:

Don't you get it?  This is the stuff than brings vacation rental bans to the forefront.  

Huh?  Not sure if you meant to reply to me.  But I do "get it" and find it ridiculous that HA is encouraging owners to accept instant books, knowing this will encourage bans in the long run. 

lbl Contributor

Kand325, having replied below, I scanned upward, but stopped on  yours because I agree/identify closely with ALL your observations.   It's necessary for the purpose of our good management to get the best information that assures not only the owner & his property is a good fit, but also a good fit in the neighborhood, local area/resort, town, county.  In the 90's my town of mostly 2nd summer homes became a mecca for retirees moving down as full time residents.   Once moved in, they don't like the comings & goings of short term guests next door...it conflicts with their vision of home.  Zoning authority essentials are land, structures, safety, and the best use of land.  That led to an attempt to ban vr and a law suit I was heavily involved in to protect my right for my "single family residence" to be legally used as a "single family residence"  within zoning regulations no matter if it was occupied by an owner or a renter.  Luckily NC doesn't discriminate between owner and renter...the same laws apply equally.  There are actually people who don't believe a property has a right to rent their home short term!  (Check out page 6 of Consumer Reports reader comments on their article about "Hoes Away From Home".)  

That being said, no one wants to live next door to a poorly managed flop house.  Thus the intent of the statute is sharing information that is pertinent & documented for good management, safety, and fitting with the community. 

lbl Contributor

Shawn,

I’m am strictly a subscription until my renewal in March 2018, don’t book on line or accept credit cards.  I don't "vet" rather "meet" my guests to see if we are a good fit and always reply promptly.  

I don’t have many inquiries:  area is limited to one season, limited market of older family groups,  occupancy/beds don’t support large family groups, and our lake is not generally well known even within the state.   I have a  few inquiries among these few that exceed my maximum occupancy(septic concerns) and immediately respond that I am unable to accommodate their request and explain why.  These are few, but very occasional.

BUT…. 99.9% of all my inquiries are of the “shopping around” variety.  They ask lots of questions (do we have a boat, what size beds, do you have a beach, can I bring my dog, will access be easy for my 90 year old mother, etc.).  My response to their inquiry answers all their questions, most of which are contained in the listing & I reiterate with photos in attachment.  This is my basic response before I include answers to questions.

“Thank you for your interest in LouBeeLure, our family's home on Lake Lure.  We are available for the dates you requested and would love to have you. 

Currently, our 2017 weekly, summer rental rate is $2,400; additionally NC sales and occupancy taxes of 11.75% ($282.00) are required to be added for a total, all inclusive cost of $2,682.00.

Answer questions: …….

Again, we appreciate your inquiry.  If you have any questions or concerns please call at any time. We hope you find our home suitable and comfortable for a wonderful retreat to Lake Lure and would love to accommodate your stay.

All best wishes,

Bee Jones”

NOW…of all the 99.9% requests whose occupancy numbers were acceptable, only 9 this year thought my property was a good fit for them, responded back to me & actually booked.  I rarely hear back from the other few inquiries I respond favorably to.  So are these obviously found a home they liked better or their plans fell through. 

Occasionally they will give me a status update as a recent inquiry of June 23, who wanted to book 4 nights during my weekly summer season....naturally the nightly rate was a little higher than for the nightly rate of the full week rates I depend on during the summer.  She responded 4 days later:

Hi Bee,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, after reviewing the price with the rest of the family, it's just our of our budget for this trip. We'll definitely look into your home if we can all get away for a whole week in the future though.

Shawn, I hope you can see why some of us smaller, owners whose property has some limiting factors are not fitting with the HomeAway platform & policies regarding communicating with potential guests and book it fast & furiously. 

Will non BIN, subscriptions be affected by this policy while we are still on subscription?

Thank you,

Bee

I'm in a similar situation to you.  I and other owners have asked this question several times over the past week - Will owners with non-OLB subscriptions continue to receive the inquirer's phone number and email address for the remainder of our subscription?

The only answer anyone at HomeAway will give owners without OLB subscriptions is that we will continue to receive the inquirer's phone number and email <"For now."> 

It should be an easy answer - "Yes - of course we will honor the terms of your current subscription until it expires."  The fact that HomeAway won't commit to honoring its agreement with us for the remainder of our subscriptions is extremely disturbing.  It says a lot about the company and the character of the people running it.

georgygirl1955 CommunityAmbassador

I LOVE LAKE LURE

Great place !