2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2013 8:39 AM by carol RSS

Is a portable ice maker a good idea?  Any recommendations for brand/model?

carol Premier Contributor

Have any of you purchased a portable ice maker for your house? My refridgerator has a built-in ice maker, but it can't really keep up when the house is fully occupied and the weather is hot.   I would really like to install one of those under-the counter models, but I don't have the space in the main kitchen, so a portable sounds like a good compromise.

If you have one and like it, I'd love to hear the brand or model and whether your guests can figure out how to use it.

• Re: Is a portable ice maker a good idea?  Any recommendations for brand/model?
          thesimones New Member

NO!  I've had fairly rotten luck with them. They are expensive to fix and frequently break.  Plus, if they are in there, the guests expect them to work.  Some of the condos had them installed when they were first built and now they are sitting there taken up a space in the design of the counter unused. 

• Re: Is a portable ice maker a good idea?  Any recommendations for brand/model?
              carol Premier Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  I decided to install a built-in model from Supentown in the laundry room, which is right next to the kitchen.   It has been a huge hit with my guests, who no longer have to run out and buy ice when they'd rather be on the beach.   This little machine can make 12 pounds of ice a day, which is enough even when my house has 14 adults. 

The only downside is that it isn't self-defrosting.  About every two or three weeks, I shut it off, empty the ice into a container in my freezer, and let it defrost.  It takes less than an hour to defrost, so I can do it during turnover.  When the house is empty for a week or longer, I shut it off to save on power, then restart it a day ahead of the next check in.