3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2012 9:42 PM by kiawahcottage RSS

Does this inquiry sound suspicious?

Traveler Name: XXX

Traveler Email: XXX

We rec'd an inquiry yesterday that was suspicios for several reasons: 1) was from a strange sounding Russian name 2) - the spelling of the first name included our last name in it. 3) The email was also weird sounding, 4)  it was for a full week stay 6 months from now during off season.5) It was for 4 people with no children, but this is clearly described as a studio condo w/ no separate bedroom (not really good for 4 adults)  I emailed back & told the inquirer to provide more details &  phone #. Any suggestions or similar inquiries/experiences? 

• Re: Does this inquiry sound suspicious?
          ttaylor0 Active Contributor

I got the exact same email using the exact same names, dates, number of people, etc. By the way, the last name that they used is the name of a character in a Russian book about a Ukraine girl raised by wolves.

This is scam if I have ever seen it.

cmballer New Member

There may be a legitimate question here, but it isn't about whether that was a suspicious inquiry. I mean: You give five good reasons why any reasonable person would think this is suspicious. Let's stipulate: It's suspicious. Or bogus. Or whatever you want to call it. I'll call it "spam."

So the question in my mind is: Presumably, Homeaway has developed a decent system for identifying and eliminating spam. Lord knows, it must have thwarted a million spammers by now. So how did this one get through their net?

kiawahcottage Community All-Star

Hi Imcdavis,

Probably they are scammers.  Be extremely vigilant about clicking links that look like they are inquiries from HA / VRBO or from your e-mail web mail provider.  If you click on something and see something about having to re-login or session timeout, etc. don't click, just go back in through your bookmarks.

They are very good at spoofing HA /VRBO inquiries, so I repeat, if you have to re-login or session timeout do not click! 

Paul