6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2012 6:08 AM by valeriaibiza RSS

Check you are NOT on this Russian site...

tansy Active Contributor

I was notified via another forum for owners...someone in Greece had been phoned that her properties were listed & the site works along the lines of - everything about your property is on the site to include your correct phone numbers ...but if you try to email an owner the email doesn't arrive to the owner but money changes hands...in other words you could end up with someone on your doorstep with bags packed expecting to have your place for a week or however long they have booked & paid for!

I appear to have been taken off the site after phoning a London number last night - however I have also contacted the fraud people who are working with London Police.

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report-a-fraud/how-to-report-a-fraud - they do need others to report it...the 0208 that was on the website is now answer phone. The ref no NFRC120300323955 to link all reports up ....so if anyone does turn up with their bags packed expecting to be in the house you are covered with the report, that you are not part of the scam.

the name of the site is www.yourholidayhomes.com - they seem to have many houses on all over the world.

I don't remember putting our property on...even if I did it is very odd that I can raise an enquiry to myself...I'm not prepared to take the risk.

• Re: Check you are NOT on this Russian site...
          swlinphx Premier Contributor

I think you posted the wrong URL as "www.yourholidayhomes.com" is not a valid site.

anja Senior Contributor

Perhaps it did exist recently....but I think it's been deactivated. There was some "chatter" about a Russian website on another vacation rental forum online.

tansy Active Contributor

Oh! it DID exist...thankfully it was taken down very quickly - as I spoke to Metropolitan Police in London the phone number went on answer - the address on the site did not tally with postcode ...these people are out there & there are quite a few Russian sites around at the moment - just be wary...

anja Senior Contributor

I don't doubt it.  It's very cool that you called the Met.Police!

tansy Active Contributor

The site has been up & down all day - I tried ringing the phone number again and then a Mr Preston has phoned me after my last call...this is what he is telling me & I think maybe it is correct - he says he'll put it in writing on these forums ... basically the site is not launched yet so we're not supposed to see it - the guys building the site have paid agents to bring in the properties 1€ per property...so guess what the agents have done? - copy & pasted...lifted all our details! Mr Preston thought as we are getting free advertising we'll all be happy & all the big sites do this...so explained that, no, in fact when I started advertising in 2002 with holiday-rentals.co.uk in our area there were 4 properties & we owned 2 of them - 10 years on there are over 780 & all of them have been put on by the owners/managers.

They are looking to launch the site in May - are paying out big money to be at exhibitions etc. in Russia and places to get the traffic...unfortunate as I think it is a case of cart before the horse in some respects...they should have got owners to put their properties on in my opinion...