9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2012 9:29 PM by sbadraun RSS

We need a "bad renter list"

It would be helpful to have a list posted by the property owners and managers of bad renters who are circulating through this system year after year. I think an "I will not rent again" heading would be sufficient to alert others of the problem. I would include all listed occupants in the list just to be helpful if  names have changed. I know it is not foolproof but it is another step to help secure us from these habitual bad renters.  Anyone have ideas on this subject?

• Re: We need a "bad renter list"

I received a bad check from our XXXXXXXXXXX property manager

carol Premier Contributor

There is already a website, badvacationrenter.com.   I signed up, but really haven't had the nerve to use it.  In order to protect the website and owner from lawsuits, they require you to include a statement in your contract saying you might report the renter to the website.   I've not wanted to include this in the contract -- I think it might scare away the good renters as well as the bad ones. 

I have looked into that bad renters website and I find also that it feels a little out there involving myself. What I am suggesting is wording like  "would not invite these people to rent again" sort of thing. And of course, it would be under a radio button on the website where only owners and managers could access.

We have a perfect right to refuse a rental for any reason other than the standard   race, sex  etc clauses of the law. The question becomes if we have the right to place their names on this type of list for our reasons. I don't want to diss anyone but we need this list to be sure these serial renters don't keep hitting us in different places of the country. as our notariety expands, the problem will get more pronounced

s

I was wondering about this too.  My house was just trashed by my last renter.  They had a big party, set off fireworks, were smoking, moving furniture around, damaged walls, etc.  They broke almost every clause in my contract.  I'm going to file a claim with the property damage insurance, but then I'm considering taking him to small claims court.  But I sure would like to put him on a 'bad renters' list.

twobitrentals Community All-Star

I too researched the "existing" companies that were out there. They asked way too much personal from me the owner, so I never joined.

I think that we could do one ourselves. I already have a name to add! HA!!! I wonder if we could just set one up on here? The only problem is that I think that this website is open to the public just by searching on one of the search engines. So that would definitely cause a problem.

What about if one of us kept a list "off" the website and one of us could volunteer to keep it. hmmmmm, I would have to think that through from a legal stand point. But, what do you think?

Just let me know and we could see if it is okay to do that with VRBO/HA?