47 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2018 8:43 AM by u0999 RSS

Shower doors

iopbeachhouse Active Contributor

We have a bathrub in our rental that has a shower curtain. There is an issue of people constantly getting water on the hard wood floor at the corner of the tub and the floor is getting ruined. We are thinking of adding shower doors, but we want clear, frameless with laminated glass (not tempered). Does anyone know of a good shower door that fits our requirements?

• Re: Shower doors
          twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I hate shower doors. I have them, but I wish I didn't.....the tracks need constant cleaning and the doors are difficult to keep the water drops off.  I also love that when a shower liner gets even a little bit used, you can buy a new one for $2.99 at wallyworld. I have used all the tricks to make the glass crystal clear and they work, but I hate that the cleaners have to spend time on that when they could be doing so many other things.

Is there a way to put a bathroom rug at that corner?

good luck with your "fix" hope it turns out exactly as you desire.

Active Contributor

'twobit':   I have threatened to install big zippers to secure curtains/liners to the shower stall    and would welcome any ideas that would lessen the 'drip factor'. 

Rugs (and even a rolled towel for the family) are a great solution but are all dependent on 'operator presence'.

'beachhouse': I have had slight improvement popping for heavier (and thus more expensive) liners and longer, heavier fabric curtains--the combo seems to reduce the tendency for both to wave in the breeze--but certainly not a totally reliable solution for your situation.

My budget will not stretch for glass doors.   

Any other ideas??????

twobit - rugs won't work, we tried that and it created more work for our staff. We even tried installing those corner wings that are supposed to stop the water from splashing on the floor. I

jonthecreek - I have tried heavy shower curtains and liners, with no luck. I think some people are not used to them and they leave both on the outside which allows water to cascade out. I don't see anything else we can do except install doors. We are looking at the new frameless ones and they say the tracks are much better and don't get so gunked up.

I went to replace the hardwood in these two bathrooms with tile, but we need a faster fix than that. That would need to be done during the next off season.

kiawahcottage Active Contributor

As a temporary fix you might want to consider having a flooring contractor put down some vinyl sheet flooring in that bathroom and caulking up all the edges.  That can be installed in one day.  It would save whats left of your floor.

funny how sometimes we realize that old vinyl flooring that we all want replaced is a better fit sometimes.

thaxterlane Premier Contributor

I have a tiled floor in one bathroom (the location off the entry and hall continues the flow of tile) and vinyl flooring in two other bathrooms.  Modern vinyl flooring and squares are a beautiful and low-maintenance option for a vacation rental.  When our builder recommended vinyl flooring, I expect he quickly noted my skeptical expression - he hurried to assure me of it's appeal.  . 

We have a brilliant blue vinyl floor in two bathrooms.  It's a great burst of color for a summer season rental and it has not lost it's shine nor sustained any damage since it was installed.   We apply clear caulk to seal the flooring at the showers/tubs.  It needs to be re-applied from time to time, but otherwise does not require much attention.  

Would I rather have tiled floors?  Absolutely.  But vinyl flooring better fit our construction budget.  And it turned out ok.   I should call my builder - he was right about so many things! 

lavenderlady Senior Contributor
                                  "But vinyl flooring better fit our construction budget.  And it turned out ok."

Home builders are generally up-to-date on the latest and greatest home products....especially flooring. Today's 'wood look' laminate floors are worlds apart from past laminate products. I wouldn't hesitate to use a laminate product in a VR if it were a good fit aesthetically. Budget wise you just can't beat it.

carol Premier Contributor

I have a bathroom with 1" tiles on the floor and constantly have to replace the grout around the tiles next to the tub.   I've even had a handyman pull them all up and replace the softened wood underneath next to the tub, but that fix lasted only a year.   Maybe vinyl is the way to go.  

hill5185 CommunityAmbassador

Is it possible to install a shower head that would help direction the water better? And have you looked into one of the "bowed" shower curtain rods? They seem to add additional protection from water escaping. Also rather than installing a complete door could you put panel up just to protect the corner?

Doors are a pain and frame less doors most likely would have to be custom made and could be very expensive. Contact your local glass company- too many options to mention.

ohst8er Senior Contributor

twobitrentals, thanks for your response!  Every time I look at our shower curtains, then compare them with folks who have those beautiful tiled showers with the perfect glass doors I'm reminded how much WORK it was to keep them perfect in my previous, newer home, and always wonder if my housekeeper will work just as hard to do same?  The water is horribly HARD in our location, and it won't take long for the glass to look terrible.    We have shower curtains that are decorative on the outside with an upper screen "window" at the top, so that the tub/shower doesn't seem dark inside, and the inside liner is the kind you can snap out for ease of washing (which is what I do with them AT HOME), or replacing, which is what I do at the condo.    MUCH cheaper than redoing the bathrooms! 

As far as flooring, tile or some other non porous flooring in the bathroom is the way to go.   I love hardwood as much as the next person, but I would never have it in my kitchen OR bath.  Those rooms need floors that don't absorb anything. 

sage Senior Contributor

I have found Sterling shower doors to offer excellent quality at an affordable price.  They offer several lines from bare bones to very nice.  I have one of their frameless shower doors at home.  Home Depot, and I think Lowes, carries them.  I do not know if they offer laminated glass, but I wonder why that would be one of your criteria.  Our local building code calls for tempered, which is really very strong and safe, and to use a different glass not approved by the building code could give rise to liability.

In our VR we have a frameless shower door that was special ordered through a local window/glass store.  We needed something larger than standard sizes, and even though it was a special order from a local small business, the price was not bad.

susaninrehoboth Premier Contributor

I've never seen shower doors older than a year old that still look clean.

Have you tried the tacky looking little plastic guards that work well to keep water inside the tub. I've used them for years without complaints, although I hope guests wouldn't care enough to complain about something like this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+guards+to+keep+water+in+tub&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=653&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&s…

We dd try those, Susan, but they keep breaking off.

We think the tub was not installed correctly because water pools on the tub and tends to drip toward the floor instead of into the tub. We though the guards would help that, but they just don't stay on with the hard use our house gets.

Active Contributor

Susan---your link showed several different splash guards....and I found a different type I had not seen before.....

I ordered this one at Amazon after watching the product demo on their web site----the concept is much like getting in the shower, wetting  the area where the liner wraps inward and hits the tub, smoothing the liner to that spot, and hoping that it will stay 'glued' until you finish your shower.

$7.99 on Amazon Prime--$9.99 on the company website w/free shipping

Amazon.com - Shower Splash Guards - Clear Bath Tub Splash Guard

Will  let you know in a couple of weeks if these are helpful at all

.."beachhouse'....these might be a short term answer for you also.........

Active Contributor

Field Test Results the shower guards

$7.99 on Amazon Prime--$9.99 on the company website w/free shipping

Amazon.com - Shower Splash Guards - Clear Bath Tub Splash Guard

Had great doubts when I ordered that they would be effective and lasting. 

Jury is still out on lasting as they are made of rigid, clear, light-weight plastic, but I even ordered sets for my residence I was so pleased with the way they keep the water contained IF the curtain is pulled all the way to the wall by the shower head

Took a few minutes to figure out exactly how to install and decided they work best for me when the liner is installed on a separate rod from the decorative outer curtain.  Using two rods also promotes more air to circulate, thus the liner drys more quickly---double benefit here in Mildew Land.

419nh+B9ZCL._AA160_.jpg81nThn6blfL._SL1500_.jpg

bandt Active Contributor

Thank you! I must try also, my kids are dense! (must take after the parents )

planthealth Active Contributor

Ok, this is several years ago. Current thoughts on both this plastic part and the concept of 2 shower rods.  Anyone following the FB notes about shower doors bursting on their own. I am reconsidering a shower curtain for a glass door that I HOPE will get done this winter. I, too, hate the mold along the tracks in my beach condo.......but all the other condos in the building have glass doors and I dont want to look "cheep".

mloueze Contributor

Any particular reason you do not want tempered glass?

When you call an installer they will have two or three manufacturers they can order from depending on where you are located (I worked for a glass company for a bit and did all of the ordering). Cardinal Glass is a common one on the west coast, also CR Lawrence and Glass Fabricators. The installer will also advise on thickness, typically 3/8" will do or 1/2" for nicer, bigger projects. Sometimes tubs can be done with just one fixed panel instead of a swinging door which means less cleaning and wear and tear. Request a protective coating be applied prior to installation if possible (works like RainX does on windshields), it is very helpful if you have hard water to keep spotting from building up. When the coating wears off over time the glass can periodically be cleaned with WD-40 to remove any build up. Glass is still a lot of work but so gorgeous compared to shower curtains. You can't see it too well in the picture below but the plastic "sweep" at the bottom of the door is easy to replace, that's one place where mold can build up. 

IMG_3116.JPG

Thanks, mlouexe. very helpful information!

mloueze Contributor

I see your reply above about the desire for laminated, it was posted while I was typing I think. I see your point but it is exceptionally rare for that to happen. If it doesn't add much to the price of course it doesn't really matter, but from a safety standpoint it isn't necessary - tempered is quite safe. For the type of break you describe the glass has to be hit in the perfect way, like a direct hit to the corner with something heavy and hard like a hammer. Is this a DIY project? Best of luck to you either way, it will look great compared to what you currently have in place.

sccottage Contributor

We had ShowerGuard glass installed in our home and vacation rental. The installations look much like your photo. It definitely adds some cost, but I am very pleased with how the doors clean up. We leave a squeegee out for our guests too with hopes that they will choose to use it.

thaxterlane Premier Contributor

lopbeachouse,

Have you looked at Kohler shower doors? 

We have a Kohler shower door that we like very much.  It's a frameless, clear glass door. It's installed on pivoting hinges on a tiled wall. It's not too hard to keep clean, certainly much easier than framed doors which collect all kinds of stuff (yuk).   I don't recall if our door is tempered or laminated glass, but I believe Kohler offers both types of safety glass. 

Good luck finding something that suits. 

Senior Contributor

We just replaced the shower door in our master bathroom and also in our daughter's bathroom at our year-round residence.  I suggest you do an Internet search for "shower doors + (name of your city)" to find dealers in your area and then go to two or three different showrooms.  You can talk to them about what you want, view different models and styles, and get pricing.  We ended up installing semi-frameless shower doors in both bathrooms.  There are coatings that one can have put on the glass that claim to resist water stains and make the glass easier to keep clean.  We didn't have the glass coated, so I cannot attest to whether or not they work.

bobbie32 Premier Contributor

I agree with twobit - I hate glass shower doors - framed or frameless.  I will likely always use a shower curtain for my tub/shower combo in my rental, as curtain liners are cheap and can be replaced in a couple of minutes.  That is, unless I can figure out how to go with a doorless shower.

Doorless Shower Designs Teach You How To Go With The Flow

For anyone thinking about remodeling their bathroom and if you have the space, go doorless.  We have one in our own home and it is wonderful. It is so easy to maintain.  One wall is glass-block and I just wipe it down with a hand towel after showering.  And it would be even easier if the shower did not have tile walls and floor - but it does.

That said… the previous owner of our rental turned a half bath into a second full bath - telephone booth size   It functions, but that is about it. BUT the worst part is that he installed wood walls in the shower - yes, you read right - in the shower!  So unless we turn the bath back to a half-bath, we need to replace the walls with some smooth-surface walls. Anyone use smooth-surface walls for their shower and if so, what brand or kind?  We were thinking something like Corian?  

Senior Contributor

bobbie32, we installed a neo-angle shower with solid-surface walls 20-25 years ago in a 120 year-old house that we used to own.  It's a long story, but we felt that ceramic tile would not be a good choice and we didn't think that the look of an acrylic shower would fit the style of the house.  We used wall panels and a shower base made from Swanstone and were very happy with it.

Actually, I have a rod with just a liner in the shower with the doors. I put it just on the inside and it cut down on my cleaning and the track is spotless. I am not sure whether to leave it when I go home, or not. I don't know how my guests will feel about it being in there. I haven't decided yet....you can't really see it when in the bathroom since it is behind the doors, unless you are specifically looking for it. However, I have slight frosted glass, not the real clear (thank goodness).

carol Premier Contributor

I have Corian in one bathroom and Swanstone in another.  I love them both -- easy to clean, fewer grout lines to grow mildew.

Swanstone had more color choices, which is why I did the second bath in Swanstone instead of Corian.   My builder promised me a grey-granite look in the Corian for the first bathroom, but then found he couldn't get the walls in grey, so I wound up with white walls and the grey on the base.  It looks ok, but it wasn't what I wanted.

Added: My home in Illinois has exactly the glass-block shower you describe -- about 5' x 3' with the shower head at one end so water doesn't splash out.  The only change I would make to that shower is to have made it lip-less so it would be wheel-chair accessible.   It can be a little chilly in the winter with no fourth wall, but I figure I could always put up a shower curtain at the end with an expandable shower curtain bar.     

Carol…I know what you mean about chilly from the draft when you don't have 4 walls.  Luckily our doorless shower (about 42" wide by 66" long) is enclosed in a space that also includes the toilet. The combined space (shower and toilet - 84" x 66") does indeed have a sliding door even though the shower does not.  So that stops the draft and becomes more like a steam room and stays toasty.  I have used showers like you describe that use a curtain.  Problem is that the draft causes the curtain to blow up against your body and it does not work. I don't know what the solution might be, but there must be something that would stop the draft.  But you bring up a good point, that a doorless show might not work for everyone. 

I also understand about the lip-less feature.  But when my husband had knee surgery a couple of years ago, the shower was big enough for the portable seat so that he could at least sit in the shower and use the hand-held shower instead of the rain-shower head and it worked beautifully. 

Active Contributor

bobbie32 First of all, thanks a LOT lady!! LOL... after I clicked on that link you posted, I want to tear my bathroom apart and completely redo it!! God bless America, those bathrooms are gorgeous! 

Secondly, I actually grew up in a house that was built completely of wood. Our exterior was rough hewn lanks, our interior walls were rough-hewn planks, as were the ceilings. Yes, even the bathtub / shower combo was wood although it was more of a natural knotty pine tongue and groove -- and it is still in there to this day. The secret is to seal the CRAP out of the wood!

I'm wondering if you would be able to use that "Pour On" product that vrrentcamera suggested! I'm thinking of getting a container of it myself if it's good for wood floors!

Shoeless…the wood shower is tiny.  And yes, the previous owner sealed the heck out of it. It is knotty pine and the seams of the tongue and groove paneling are caulked with clear caulk.  Here's the funny thing  A couple of years ago some of the pine was starting to show some dark spots - oh dear, all we could think of was mold.  So we decided to tear into the wood paneling and discovered there was no mold behind the paneling.  But we covered up the spots we removed with fake wood knots and it worked. No one can tell that we removed pieces of the paneling and put in fake wood knots.  It was a creative solution if I do say so myself. 

But I would really rather have something a little more serviceable   The shower floor is quarry tile and is okay.  So some smooth-surface panels for the walls might do the trick. We are thinking we will do it ourselves and I have checked out both Corian and Swanstone.  Like I said it is the size of a telephone booth for those that remember using one in the good old days when there were no cell phones.  Thanks everyone for your endorsement of those products.  If we don't do the smooth panels, we will likely turn the full bath back to a half-bath. But the shower does indeed get used even though it is tiny. Still thinking… 

Senior Contributor

bobbie32 wrote:

The shower floor is quarry tile and is okay.  So some smooth-surface panels for the walls might do the trick. We are thinking we will do it ourselves and I have checked out both Corian and Swanstone.  Like I said it is the size of a telephone booth for those that remember using one in the good old days when there were no cell phones.  Thanks everyone for your endorsement of those products.  If we don't do the smooth panels, we will likely turn the full bath back to a half-bath. But the shower does indeed get used even though it is tiny. Still thinking…

I just want to warn you about attempting to install the panels yourself.  The solid-surface shower panels are heavy.  We had a contractor install the entire shower and he had a heck of a time figuring out a way to hold the Swanstone panels tightly in place against the wall while the adhesive cured.  I don't know how he ultimately did it.

Thanks for the tip.  I think we would use z-clips and that might work.  Yes, I can imagine they are heavy.  We just had Caesarstone installed in the guesthouse kitchen and the slabs are so heavy!!!  Luckily the shower panels would be only 2 feet wide - tiny tiny shower!  We will see…

Active Contributor

What if you installed a 1' partial wall of shower glass from ceiling to tub edge, and had the shower curtain and rod remain behind that piece.  That would contain the water, look nice, and allow plenty of air flow to dry the shower out daily.  And you could still go to "Wally World" to buy curtain liners to keep them fresh.  It would look good, I think, but might be sort of pricy.  If your trade-off is floor replacement and hassles though, maybe it's worth it.

bandt Active Contributor

Sounds like my daughter showered there! I've actually put one of those water alarms in corner! She freeked the first time it went off! LOL! Next time I heard it thrown against the door! Hard to get some people to seal the curtain. I like & dis-like doors/curtains. Doors seem to be more roomy in stall, & curtains sometimes seem to want to touch me !!! yuk.

IOP have you put a 2' level on the rear of tub and then the front of tub to check if pitched outward? (even with glass doors, water would puddle if tub is tilted outward, and the slightest seal break would leak) I recommend if you get glass have a specialty shower glass company do job, and a guarantee.

Active Contributor

Like bandit I had one child that would soak the bathroom floor so when building out new home I installed a drain in the floor and I installed high-end lynolieum in both kid's bathrooms. The kids were going to be on the second floor and I knew the water would be leaking next to the tub if I was not proactive. We used plastic baseboard and siliconed the base to the vinyl and sealed the vinyl to the tub with plastic shoe. Never a problem. You can't tell plastic trim from wood trim once it is painted and you would think it was real tile until you stood on it with your bare feet and it was not cold and hard. I prefer the vinyl to the tile. When our VR needs bathroom flooring I am going to do it the same way. When installing a floor drain you have to remember to put some water in them occasionally or they will dry out and let outside air in and don't tie them into your plumbing drains or you will get sewer gas in the house when they dry out. 

bandt Active Contributor

The plumber should have put in a trap primmer for the floor drain. Was it inspected? The plans didn't call for it?  It is a small pipe that runs from the (usually closest) lav to the inlet of floor drain, to feed small amount of water every time the lav is used. I always thought it would be cool to pitch the entire bathroom floor towards floor drain, like a shower floor, & then hose down bathroom once in a while, for a good cleaning. But remember, floor drain is lowest receptacle, & thus a major stoppage down stream, will convert that drain into a bidet! 

Active Contributor

bandt I did my own plumbing. I never thought of a feeder line like that, but a really good idea. The inspector had no idea what he was looking at, we are in south Alabama.

New Member

This looks kinda cool. But shower doors are not the thing for me if you ask me. Simple reason being I would like more air in there provided I am not taking a steam bath. Aesthetically a door doesn’t add much where as a curtain would be sufficient to serve the purpose. Well I believe that is more important. Isn’t it? I am more into the accessories part. I have a toilet caddy(  http://www.dispenser.com/Toilet_Caddy/ )kept handy to keep the magazines to keep myself busy. Hence I am strictly for no door.

I find myself asking same question years later. Anyone have any current thoughts on shower doors? I am considering having my tub removed for a walk in shower, also hate tracks, want something to look nice but not cost a fortune.

u0999 Premier Contributor

I have 9 showers in my 3 rentals. all but one have glass doors. best kind is pivot as the sliding(on rollers) ones tend to jump off the track. Only have shower curtain in ONE due to placement - was afraid door will hit the glass if opened with force.

ohst8er Senior Contributor

+1 regarding the door.  We'd have to install a pocket entry door to have a glass shower. 

I just have so few options. I have a tub, so it is 30" wide. Home Depot's smallest is 30" curved and at the height of the curve is 34", round so only one shower door will work.

Lowes for twice the price has a 32" wide straight shower. Regardless a door will run around $500. I like the looks of the glass door, scared that a guest could get hurt and now I could be sued and be out the $500 regardless. I have 2 glass shower doors at home, I NEVER would have worried about it other than so many VR owners seem to have had it happen to them in their VR or home.Combined with the mold on the track that I always have to fight, grrr. I should just flip a coin.

We are doing the pocket door regardless because hubby hates how tiny the space is, but even then, it has to pivot the right way or pivots into the toilet.....