1 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next 126 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2013 2:11 AM by swlinphx Go to original post RSS
      • 90. Re: Keyless entry experience?
        Active Contributor

I also keep a combination lockbox within the door jam to insure entry into the property if for some reason the keyless door lock does not work.  In this case they would have to call me or my cleaner and we would then give them the code to the combination lock to get a "key" to the lock. By notifying us we would then be able to know to go address the issue.

• 91. Re: Keyless entry experience?
          swlinphx Premier Contributor

Yeah, I can see how that would be nice but you're right.  For someone like me who lives in the same complex, greets all guests and checks them in and gives them codes personally, it wouldn't be worth it.  I don't need a log of each guest entering and leaving the unit while they visit.  I also am the one who lets third parties (maintenance, cleaning, etc.) into the unit.  Plus, having a much more expensive Resort Lock for each unit would be far too pricey for what we charge.  However, I have two questions for you regarding a couple things you said:

And in my particular situation I do not have an Internet connection in the house and the free wifi signal is not strong enough to be confident that I am getting a signal on a regular basis.

So then how does the Resort Lock work if not via the Internet?  How does it program and schedule codes and track all entries and exits if not via the Internet?  Do you have to go manually program all this and if so, how do you get the log readout if not online?

I also keep a combination lockbox within the door jam to insure entry into the property if for some reason the keyless door lock does not work.  In this case they would have to call me or my cleaner and we would then give them the code to the combination lock to get a "key" to the lock.

That is always an issue.  One of the reasons we use codes for locks is convenience, but another is security. With all the strangers that come and go over the years, and people that may stay but have friends or family in town, I don't want to worry that one will make a key copy and have instant access to our unit at any time in the future.  I have never given a guest a key and have always been around if the power lock fails (usually just batteries).  Do you re-key the lock every time you have to give them a physical key via the lockbox?

• 92. Re: Keyless entry experience?

For answers to both question you can refer to my Nov 4, 2011 10:04 AM response

I do not change the back up key - I just make it difficult to copy. 
            I have only givin out the code a couple of times in the last few years and I change the code during each visit.

• 93. Re: Keyless entry experience?
              Active Contributor

The resort locks use algorithyms to make their codes.  A long code is given to the renter and then they can easily make their own code. 

I have never had to open the lockbox for a renter as each type lock that I have had on the door has not failed me.

• 94. Re: Keyless entry experience?

The resort locks use algorithyms to make their codes.  A long code is given to the renter and then they can easily make their own code.

I'm not sure I follow.  Who gives the renter this long code, you?  And if so, how do you get the code if not online or at the property?

• 95. Re: Keyless entry experience?

When you purchase a lock the company Resort Locks registers the lock to the owner and allows the owner access to a part of their system.

Here's the clever bit.

You enter the renters name,address, telephone number (optional) but importantly the renters email address.

You then enter date of arrival and time. Also time and date of departure. Hit the generate code and the system will generate a 10 digit entry code. You then hit enter and the code is emailed to the guest along with instructions for the guest on how to change the 10 digit code to something that they can remember or make more simple.

I have been using these locks on my two properties for in excess of 5 years now. They have never given me or my guests a problem.

No set up or retention fees, they simply do what it says on the box.

• 96. Re: Keyless entry experience?
                    sophie Senior Contributor

I have Schlage link and love them. I looked at the resort lock also but felt the link was better suited for my needs. Here is the information taken from the resort lock website. I think it's confusing myself

http://www.resortlock.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1826

• 97. Re: Keyless entry experience?

Bobbh, how exactly then does the Resort Lock system communicate with the lock itself to assure that the 10-digit code they e-mail the guests works on that specific lock, if there is no WiFi communication?

• 98. Re: Keyless entry experience?

The code is generated by ResortLock servers or on your own computer with software they sell.  Times and dates are entered for check-in/check-out or for single use acess within a specific time frame.  ResortLock maintains the serial number of the chip in each of your locks or in cases where you buy the software you record the serial number.  Each lock's chip has a specific logarithm embeded.  The computer converts the dates and times to a multi-digit number.  The owner can email or call the renter with the code and instructions.  ResortLock's computer will also send an email if that is your preference. 
                        The renter punches the code in the lock during the rental period and the internal clock in the lock together with the chip converts the code back to dates and times and opens the lock. 
                        As others have pointed out the renter is also given instruction on how to create their own easy to remember code that works in conjunction with the original code.

With high speed internet It takes me under a minute to generate a code, my smart phone takes me about 3 minutes.  

I did have a renter one time call me in a panic because they decided on thier own that they were due a late check-out.  They almost missed their flight as they were locked out in their bathing suits with their luggage safely locked inside.

• 99. Re: Keyless entry experience?

There is no communication between the lock and code generating software after the chip's serial number is recorded.

• 100. Re: Keyless entry experience?

Hmm... so by having the chip's serial number they in effect control the lock without communicating with it?  Probably a hair beyond my scope of understanding, but nothing surprises me nowadays.

• 101. Re: Keyless entry experience?

Are you familar with the WWII German code ciperh machine known as Enigma?
                              The writer typed a message into a machine that generated what appeared to be random sequences of letters.  The reciever would enter these sequences into an Enigma machine at the other end and the machine would "translate" it back to the origial message. 

• 102. Re: Keyless entry experience?

But then the two ends are still communicating aren't they?  You just said:

There is no communication between the lock and code generating software after the chip's serial number is recorded.

...must be something I'm missing here.  I was trying to understand how their service software communiates with the lock on your rental door.

• 103. Re: Keyless entry experience?

To completely understand how these fantastic locks work the you need to study algorithms.

I once knew a guy who could do this, but he was such a nerd I really couldn't grasp the theory, he was very very clever and I'm just ordinary.

I think that the refence to the German enigma cyphers is a good explanation. They worked and it took mathematical geniuses to break that code.  You don't have to have any qualifications to operate these locks they are pretty much idiot proof, I'm standing proof of that.

• 104. Re: Keyless entry experience?

Imagine if you can a laguage understood by only two people on the entire planet. 
                                    One of these folks lives in L.A. and owns a penthouse in N.Y. that he rents out.
                                    The only other person that speaks this secret language is the doorman at the penthouse in N.Y.

When the owner rents his penthouse he give the renter a scribbled note that makes no sense to anyone but the doorman.

The doorman reads the note and lets the renter in for the number of days indicated by the note. 

The doorman and owner haven't spoken to each other in years yet this system works.  I can't make it any simpler than that.

1 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next