12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2014 11:25 AM by lazym RSS

Extra person fee?

Contributor

How much should we charge for an extra person? After all, the utilities and the wear and tear increases.

Provided the house has enough space, sofa bed, portable bed, etc. and they do not exceed my absolute maximum occupancy.

I wonder if babies or small children should be counted in the limit I provide for free. My 3 bedroom home sleeps 6, but can easily sleep 10, a child with the parents, sofa bed and extra bed.

Thanks for the help.

• Extra person fee?
          Active Contributor

Have you checked your competitors? Are they charging?

Is your capacity similar to the market or are you listing less people?

Do you have a way to check how many people checked in?

I agree with you, extra persons increase your cost, and you should be compensated.

• Extra person fee?
              Contributor

The competition is offering between 5 and 8 people, they do not advertize the extra person fee.

My neighbor is pretty good at calling me when something is going on, I guess he wants to make sure the neighborhood stays in fine. Also the housekeeper lives nearby.

My rooms are very large and can fit an extra inflatable mattress or else, but I have stayed away from overloading it to avoid abuse.

• Extra person fee?
                  Active Contributor

With a tough economy like this one, I am sure you are competing on price with other owners. I would not increase the number of guests included in the price but charge a small extra for additional guests, and if they sneak them in, charge a larger fee.

I like to use $10 daily for included guests and $25 for guests not listed on the contract.

I would consider buying additional air mattresses if they fit in your home, it will pay for itself in the first rental. Just make sure you establish a limit of the absolute maximum.

Your neighbor should be rewarded for helping you make extra income.

• Extra person fee?
                      Contributor

Thanks, you are right, honest people should be rewarded.

I will change my contract right away.

• Re: Extra person fee?
                        lazym Active Contributor

I would not put the line about $25 for guests not listed on the contract.  You want everyone listed on the contract, and don't want to give people the option to not list everyone on the contract.  And there is no way for you to know if someone is not on the contract unless you actually go over to the house every single day and check the number of people.  You will end up with a lot of people who think they will be able to get away with not listing people, and they will unless you are policing it every night.

I would not charge extra for children or babies (under the age of 12).  Generally they will use much less of the utilities than an adult and very little over what their parents would use.  They will add slightly to the wear and tear but it is very hard to make parent pay $10 a day for a baby who is just going to lay on the floor.

I would have your rate set for the number of people you can sleep in actual beds and then have an additional amount for others who are sleeping on a pull out sofa or a futon.  

• Extra person fee?

I charge $25.00 per day per person over 6 for my 3 bedroom and do not have any problem getting it. No complaints so far! $10.00 is low. Think of what they would have to pay if they were to get a hotel room... Even at $25.00 it is steal!

• Extra person fee?

If they lied about the number of guest I would keep their $250 deposit. We are strict about it and write it out in our contract. We have had guest have large parties without telling us because we have a pool and we have kept their deposits. If people lie they have to pay.

• Extra person fee?
                          Contributor

True, I will do some comparison shopping to find the right price, but I will definitely charge for extra guests. Thanks,

Thank you for your posting.  I have a 4 bedroom 2 bath.  I have a set rate for up to four gueats and a $25 per person per night additional guest fee.  Do you think the set rate shoud be increased and applied for groups of up to eight guests (rather than four) before charging the additional guest fee for parties over eight?  I have additional sleeping arrangements that can accommodate up to 13 guests.

victoriam Active Contributor

When I'm looking at a 4 bedroom rental I would totally expect the basic set rate to be for 8 people!   But again - look at your competition (from a potential guest's point of view.)  It depends on your base rate as well, and your target market.  I personally get annoyed with an extra per-person (or per-dog) per-day charge  and vastly prefer a reasonable set fee for additional people or dog.    If you have extra people you have an extra set of linens & towels, plus a little more water usage.  But for a 5 night stay, does that extra person really cost you an extra $125.00?  Is it worth the chance of losing a good party of 10 because of the extra $250.00? 

If you allow dogs, your cleaner may have to vacuum the sofa and the rugs more thoroughly, but 4 days worth of dog hair does not require more effort than 2 days worth.

My rental sleeps 4 - (5 possible with one kid on an air bed.)  Most stays are 4-6 nights and I charge a flat fee of $50.00 for more than 2 people regardless of the length of stay.

• Extra person fee?

My home has four bedrooms and my limit per the contract is eight. Very often we have folks that want to bring more people. I tell them that we have a $25 charge per person over the eight. I think it's reasonable but not cheap. My place is secluded and very private. I don't think I would know if there were extra guests flying under the radar.

• Extra person fee?
                                Active Contributor

Hi everyone,

Some great insight on this thread regarding how to deal with additional guests. I wanted point out other relevant discussions here and here, as well as this article about Enforcing Maximum Occupancy.

Thanks,

Meredith