4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2011 3:39 PM by sfvacationhut RSS

What are some of the fave "touristy" things your guests have enjoyed? (or not?)

sfvacationhut Community All-Star

Sometimes I learn new things from my guests, about tours or other hidden away places that I never knew existed! 

If you've heard some unusual or surprising / fun things your guests have enjoyed (or not!) ... in or nearby the San Francisco Bay Area ...  we're talking from the most touristy to the most non-touristy things ...

You can share those ideas here.

• Re: What are some of the fave "touristy" things your guests have enjoyed? (or not?)

One of the things I learned about from my guests was ...

A tour of the San Francisco Giants Ballpark!

I never would have thought of doing that.

But they went on that tour and LOVED IT.

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/sf/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=tours

Public Tours

• Great for Adults and Kids, San Francisco tourist, Giants fans and baseball fanatics.
          • Due to possible post-season activity, there may be changes to the October schedule.
          • Tours depart from the Giants Dugout Store at AT&T Park and last approximately one hour and thirty minutes.
          • For up to date tour information please call 415.972.2400

Tour Prices
          AgePrice
          Adults$15.00
          Seniors (55 & over)$12.00
          Kids (12 and under)$8.00
          2 and UnderFree

Tickets can also be purchased in advance at any Giants Dugout Store or Tickets.com outlet.

Tours are available EVERY DAY at 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., rain or shine, except for the unavailable dates listed below. (see web site)

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/sf/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=tours

• Re: What are some of the fave "touristy" things your guests have enjoyed? (or not?)

Another set of guests recommended to me the Napa Experience.

According to my guests, they took the light rail downtown to the Ferry Building  They met up with a small shuttle bus that took them over the Golden Gate Bridge and into Marin County and then Napa.  They went to four different wineries, and they said they liked having a knowledgeable tour guide telling them about the scenery and and the area.  After that the tour dropped them off in Vallejo where they caught a ferry back to San Francisco ... it sounded like they enjoyed the whole day, but the trip on the ferry was the highlight ... they loved traveling across the water and seeing the Bay Bridge and the city from a different angle.

Here is a link to the web site.

http://www.winecountrytourshuttle.com/

Apparently they also have a tour to Sonoma, but it does not include the ferry ride.  (My guests did not go on that tour, so I don't haven't received any feedback on that one.)

And yet another set of guests recommended to me:

The East Bay Winery Bike Tours.

http://eastbaywinerybiketours.com/

These guests had a great day ... they took BART from San Francisco to Oakland, then walked to Jack London Square and met up with the East Bay Bike Tour folks.  These particular guests were both vegan, and they were very happy that the bike tour people will able to provide them with a very nice vegan picnic lunch.  Sounds like a pretty good company ... I'm hoping to go on this tour myself, hopefully this summer.

Info from their web site:

Bicycle tours of three to four East Bay wineries in a 5 hour tour, with a lunch stop. Small groups provided with bikes, helmets, experienced leader and safe routes. The leader will provide you with an elegant lunch and transport your wine purchases.

For Bay Area visitors and corporate team-building events, a carfree alternative to the traffic and expense of Napa.

Convenient starting location near the Jack London Square Ferry Terminal.

The East Bay Winery Bike Tour Experience.

Meet your tour guide and fellow riders near the Ferry Terminal in Jack London Square. If you are coming from San Francisco, you may want to take the ferry from The Embarcadero or Pier 39.

On a typical ride, we will visit 3 or 4 wineries on a 10-14 mile route from 11:45 to 5:00. We will stop for a picnic lunch at a scenic spot en route.

Standard Tour

The standard tour starts near the ferry terminal in Jack London Square in Oakland. We’ll visit wineries in Oakland and Alameda before returning via a short ferry ride to Jack London Square.

Price: $89

Includes bicycle, helmet, experienced tour guide, picnic lunch, visits to 3 or 4 wineries, transport of winery purchases and ferry ride from Alameda back to Jack London Square.

Several routes and custom tours are available.

East Bay Winery Bike Tours is a registered LLC offering San Francisco and East Bay visitors a local taste of great wine without the hassle and expense of renting a car. Tour routes give visitors an inside look at “boutique wineries”, that is, wineries with small production that embody the passion of the winemaker.

EBWBT is a green way to explore the return to traditional, urban wine making. Many talented winemakers now crush, blend and age in urban warehouses the way they did before the industry moved to vineyards in Napa and elsewhere in Northern California.

Another thing our guests love is .. SHOPPING.

When the guests, leave, we often find stacks of empty boxes from obviously "just purchased" shoes and other products.

We just had a couple visiting us in San Francisco from Christchurch, New Zealand.

We we were surprised to see them returning home one day (in the middle of their week-long stay) with two obviously very heavy, enormous suitcases.  The explained that they were returning from a big shopping day in Emervyille!!!  They had taken public transit from Noe Valley, San Francisco to IKEA and returned home on the J-Church, with all their purchases in tow!

I never imagined "shopping in Emeryville" to be a big destination, but I guess it is.

These two were quite resourceful about finding out how to get there on public transit.  They took the J-Church to Montgomery Station downtown. Then they took the AC Transit "F" bus which takes you from the TransBay Terminal in San Francisco, to the corner of Shellmound Street and Bay Street (very close to IKEA). 

The bus ride from the TransBay Terminal to IKEA Emeryville takes 14 minutes.

(Wow, that's fast!)

http://transit.511.org/schedules/index.aspx#m1=S&m2=bus&routeid=43415&cid=AD

See above for the route schedule.

I love learning new things from my guests.  I might be taking the AC Transit "F" bus next time I go to Emeryville!