32 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2012 7:16 PM by newbs RSS

Group thoughts on grills?

What does everyone do about supplying a barbecue grill? I've been told it's a fairly standard amenity, but I don't grill myself. I just looked up gas grills and I think the propane tank refills sound like a chore, along with cleaning. I also worry about fire hazard. The whole thing seems like a hassle that I'd rather avoid.  If I do provide a grill I'm inclined to buy an old-fashioned standard charcoal Webber and supply the new, nontoxic type chips. But a woman who helps me run the place recommends  gas grill to avoid the still-burning charcoal remnants. The whole thing is psyching me out. Any comments or advice?

• Group thoughts on grills?

I prove a gas grill at our cottage. I fill the propane tank before my first renter arrives. I ask in my rental agreement that they clean the grill and fill the tank up for my next renter. If they do not comply I deduct cost out of their security deposit. I also keep it off my porch and made a cement slab away from the house. for safety.

tyann Contributor

We supply a gas grill - would love to do charcoal, but don't want to take the risk of any charcoal spilling on our deck. We have a grill mat under the grill to protect our deck from grease.

Grills are a standard amenity in our area, and guests are always asking if we have one available. We supply the propane - one hooked up and another one next to the grill on standby so they can switch it out when one goes empty. The housekeeper checks the tank next to the grill, and when it's empty, runs to fill it up. It's less than $20 to fill it, so we don't mind providing this for our guests.

We do have problems with cleaning it, though. When we first started, we assumed the housekeeper cleaned it. But after the grease trap caught on fire with some guests, we found it that housekeeping does not clean it. We do ask the guests to clean after they use it and also ask the housekeeper to check it so it doesn't get nasty.

We have had to replace the grill after less than 2 years because of rusting, so we bought a better grill cover the second time around. Hopefully that will help the grill to last longer!

Tyann Marcink

Canyon Retreat and Nature's Retreat | www.vacationhomeinbranson.com

Website Design and Photography | www.marcinkdesigns.com

Handpainted Children's Room Decor | www.littleelephantcompany.com

• Re: Group thoughts on grills?
              Contributor

I have propane grills in two property and a smoker grill in another. I think it's a must these days to have a grill.  I think personally propane are a bigger hassle then smoker/charcoal grills. I use to have to refill it several times and people would complain when it was out. I fixed the issue by buying a spare propane tank. That way when it's empty, they just need to get the spare one. And every so often I bring back the spares and use a local company propane taxi who refills them for me for the same cost Home Depot does. And then I bring those spare back. Normally per summer, I have to do this either once or twice.

The last property I got the smoker which is much easier since the guests have to provide the charcoal and I don't have to worry about tanks being empty. They both have their pros and cons but I would go with charcoal grill from any future properties I have. I would spend a little more and get a smoker.

If I am renting a villa and it offers a charcoal grill, I won't use it ... too much like work.  Gas grills win out hands down in my experience.  We do not have to refill our propane tank every week so it's not a big hassle at our rental.  We keep a gas grill for our guests at ground level on a fireproof base, away from the house.  I've seen too many houses where the siding was melted because the renter pushed the grill too close to the house.

sophie Senior Contributor

I too live in an area that grills are a standard amenity.  We do provide gas grills and always keep the tanks full.  A few things that I have learned in the past few years.  Renters are very ******* them (I don't know why) and I've to replace each one within 2 years. Also, the renters would never clean them after use so I have since put it in their contract they must clean the grill if they use it or pay a $20 cleaning fee.

To me it's a huge hassle but it's an expected amenity in my location.

We have a gas grill but had it attached to the propane line so that we don't have to deal with refilling tanks.  Guests love the grill and the ease of just turning on the gas **** at the grill to use it.  Easy Peasy!  Guests are not very good about cleaning so we do have to remember to burn off residue periodically.

As a renter:

I always ask if there is a grill.,
                        I like cooking away from home just as much as I like eating out. There is nothing like  relaxing with a good drink and cooking on the grill. Whether in the mountains or at the beach, its just something we always look forward doing

I have used both gas & charcoal.grills.I have had one instance where the owner said yes we have a charcoal grill and when we went to use it, it was on its last leg. We went and bought one and left it when we left. Because everything else was perfect

Well, Diamondgirl... Diamonds are preferred over charcoal, and propane is too!!!  I could'nt rent my beach houses without providing BBQ grills.  Also, they must be propane. YES!  It is a pain but critical, as Californians, and beach people are attached to grilling on the BBQ!  It's a social thing!  Most guests ask if there is a BBQ grill during the booking process,and if it is propane or gas fired, even though that info is included in my ad.  I have one tank on the grill and an extra in the garage.  I also include in my Guest Notebook the nearest Home Depot address where they can go to refill if they still run out of propane. However, does anyone know what or where to buy something that attaches to the tanks safely to indicate the amount of fuel left in the tank? The other negative is that even though I provide a grill cover....many long term younger guests leave the cover off for days at a time and at the beach, grills rust out in a month!!!  Bottom line for me grills and propane tanks are a real pain in the neck but necessary, like the dentist!!!

My guests inquire about a grill on a regular basis.  It is an important amenity.  Even in the dead of winter when there is 5 feet of snow at my property my guests will grill on a regular basis.  I had my grill hardwired into my propane tank that supplies the pool so I don't have to worry about tanks.

We don't currently provide one (other than centrally which is not convenient).  We are prohibited by local fire code from using anything other than propane or natural gas.  We have a gas hook up so that part would be easy.  We had a building burn down from a charcoal grill.  12 units were lost.  I would never allow guests to use charcoal or wood chips on wood surfaces - that is an accident looking for a place to happen.  I sometimes wonder if people lose a little bit of their IQ and common sense while on vacation.  My concern, like others, is the mess and people leaving the gas on.  It could run for days and days if housekeeping did not notice it.  Anybody have a solution for something you could put on a Weber type grill that would turn the gas off after a set number of minutes - like a timer you set to 30 mins and then the gas goes off.  Also, we don't maintain/shovel our back deck in winter. It could get buried in snow making it somewhat unusable and leading to guest complaints and having to pay someone to go dig out the BBQ.  In summer, it would be a nice ammenity.

We used to have a Weber charcoal grill at our rental property at Cape Cod but I was tired of people leaving the charcoal lighter behind (big time fire hazard.)  We replaced it with a new Weber gas grill and have been very happy.  It remains on the patio and we chain it to the fence in the off-season. It's easy for people to use and I only refill the LP tank once a summer season.

Although I am a great BBQ fan I choose not to have a BBQ at my rental home due to the horror stories from other owners.

If I have a potential renter asking if they can have a BBQ I inform them that they can rent one from my Management Agent and inform them that any mess left on the pool deck area may well incure a deduction from their security bond.

This way the Management Agent is not only responsible for supplying gas and BBQ but ensures the deck area is left clean as this area is outside the housekeepers remit.

This course of action may not be suitable for all but has been succesfull  for me over the last 7 years and earns the Management Agent a few extra dollars.

sophie Senior Contributor

Funny we are talking about this now.  My renter called yesterday in a panic because they used all the propane and had big steaks to grill before they checked out today.  They had said they grilled every meal and ran out....so, we had to rush over and fill up the propane.  A hassle but they fell in love with the property and the great customer service.

Active Contributor

We provide the grill but not the propane. This is stated on every  confirmation and emIl. We state that if there is propane they as most welcome to it. However, they did to check upon arrival and if needed stop at the nearest gas station or hardware store both less than a mile from the house. We cannot possibly know the content of the propane tank. This is one less item to worry about when checking in guests.

Contributor

Short answer - YES! 

I owe two properties and even if they don't use the grill, guests want to have the option (especially when restaurants waits for a table can be longer than an hour in the summer).  When the propane runs out, I give them directions to the gas station a mile away to get it refilled.  I reimburse them for the tank, of course, and no one has seemed very upset about it.  I buy fairly inexpensive grills ($150-250), covers and tools knowing that they aren't really cared for properly during the season.  At the end of the summer, I give the grill surface a good scrubbing with the brush, lift out large pieces of debris while wearing gloves and then run the tanks to empty with the lid closed to burn off any residue.  I store them in the garage for the winter and toss the tools if a run through the dishwasher does get them back in shape.  My grills seem to last about 3 years, a good investment to keep my guests happy.

Have you thought about an ELECTRIC GRILL ? I recently bought one and they are smaller than gas or charcoal grills, they burn clean, have no open flame or flare ups, are allowed in most condo or TH complexes,, and are very easy to maintain. I have recieved no complaints yet and the tenants can,t complain if they can grill meat and veggies on them

Steve in Jax Beach

Contributor

Also, if you go propane gas. I recommend get a BBQ propane grill that has only 2 lighters and not 3 or 4 lighters. Because guests turn on all the lighters even if they are grilling one burger. I updated all my homes with BBQ that have 2 lighters.  Using 2 lighters will make the propane tank last longer and so I don't have to switch them as much.

We provide a gas grill at our home in the Pocono mountains of PA.    In our community, we aren't permitted to have a charcoal grill since there's a risk of fire in this heavily wooded area.    All of our summer renters, most of our spring/fall renters and some of our winter renters ask about a grill.    People just love to eat outside and enjoy the mountains and lake.   We find it helps us sell our home.

Senior Contributor

I offer a propane grill ( 2 burner) to guests who request  it. We place it ona brick surface away from buildings and overhanging tree branches ( & secure it witha locked chain).

BUT-- I've seen some bad things at vacation homes in the  neighborhood  where my vacation rental's located. 

1. charcoal grills  placed on wooden decks--

2. grills ( both charcoal and propane) on decks that have another wooden deck overhanging them.

These are both accidents wainting to happen, since it only takes on irresponsible renter to  walk away from grill, or  leave hot coals in grill with the lid off etc. 

Message  dated 21st July

Many thanks for your email

Sorry I am away from 23rd July thru 1st August and may not be able to get access to the internet.

If you need to contact me to confirm a booking or on any other urgent matter please call or text my mobile/cell, the number can be found on the web site or other publication that directed you to this e-mail address , alternativly leave a message on my home number.

I will be able to respond to your e-mail on 1st August at the latest.

Many thanks for your patience.

Regards  PAUL NEWBERY

carol Premier Contributor

My home has a large propane grill and two tanks -- and I leave instructions to tell me right away if they use up one tank and install the other.   That way they really never run out in the middle of a meal.  Sometimes they forget to tell me,  but I try to check the tanks to see if they've been switched out during turnover.   

About 6 months after I installed it, the automatic starter stopped working -- my neighbor told me that the salt air at our beach house always corrodes the starters.  So I also leave a butane lighter for them to use.  

I think giving guests an easy way to cook outside returns great dividends -- they love it, and it cuts down on my air conditioning bill because they are not heating up the house with the stove. 

iopbeachhouse Active Contributor

We have a grill and we have it attached to our propane tank for the house. To keep people from leaving it on and running the tank out, we installed an automatic shut off timer. The grill cannot be used without the timer so it has worked great. Before that, we were going through the small propane tanks very quickly and it was a huge issue since we live over 500 miles away from our rental. Our biggest issue is the way the grills rust due to the sea air. We end up replacing them every year. Does anyone know of a good gas grill that will not rust?

Active Contributor

The connection sounds like a great idea, but we do not have a house propane tank. House is heated with oil. We are also in a beachy area and have found that by wrapping the grill well, using the blue tarps for both furniture and grill, rust does not happen as easily. During the summer we have the grill cleaned weekly to maintain a good condition. But, in the winter we wrap up everything. We have tried all types of grills and none work or rust any differently. Just needs a lot of care to maintain.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I have never heard of that and my VR has a hook up on the patio for propane,but I was afraid to use it for fear of them leaving it on and using 500 gals of propane...Not cheap! I put in a charcoal BBQ and besides the starter fluid issue that others have noted. I actually found charcoal remnants in my flower beds...yikes what if they were still hot????

Could you give me info on your timer so that I can do some research!

Thank you

Message  dated 18th Sept

Sorry I am away from 18th Sept until 25th sept and  will have limited access to the internet.

If you need to contact me to confirm a booking or on any other urgent matter please call or text my mobile/cell, the number can be found on the web site or other publication that directed you to this e-mail address , alternativly leave a message on my home number.

Regards  PAUL NEWBERY

iopbeachhouse Active Contributor

Here's what we bought: Fire Magic Automatic Grill Timer.We had to take the regulator off the grill before we installed it in order for it to work right, but it has saved us a lot of money!

Message  dated 18th Sept

Sorry I am away from 18th Sept until 25th sept and  will have limited access to the internet.

Regards  PAUL NEWBERY

thaxterlane Premier Contributor

A grill is a must have.  I'm routinely asked if we have a gas or charcoal grill and some prospective renters want details about size, brand, etc.  I understand - an inadequate grill can ruin a vacation.  I feature our grill as part of the summer week by the ocean experience.

We have a large Weber Genesis gas grill that accommodates a meal for 8 - 10 guests.  We supply propane, a full complement of utensils, and some barbecue condiments.

To repeat thread about paying for propane:  we have an account and our guests charge refills as necessary.

We ask our guests to keep the grill clean and our cleaners do a cleaning at the weekly turnover.  But, by the end of the season it needs to thorough cleaning.  A quality grill will last for many seasons.

I would advise against charcoal grills.  Many people are very lax about safety around grills - they douse the charcoal with remarkable amounts of lighter fluid (the more the better theory) and they do not know how to safely dispose of hot coals. Lighter fluid everywhere and hot charcol in the bins . . . no thanks.   I wouldn't let a charcoal grill near my property. 

We have never had an issue with propane gas grills.  We've rented two houses over 20 years without incident.  (We have one house at present.)

Senior Contributor

We also provide a propane grill. I found a nifty gadge that allows the person who does my yard work to see  if a tank needs to be changed out before guests arrive . I keep a spare in our locked area that he has access to.

Salt air does a number on any outdoor furniture we have too.  There is no way to prevent small amounts of rust.  Twice a year I grab a can of navel jelly, and go to work on the rust.spots.  I then apply a can of spray paint that is designed for grills.  In our House Instructions we ask our guests to clean the grill after each use and use the provided cover once it has cooled.

We do NOT allow charcoal grills on our property because of liability issues. Disposal of coals that they think may be out, but may still be hot , etc.  is just too dangerous. I've seen people use charcoal grills in VR rentals in my area in very dangerous ways --- on wooden decks, porches with roofs, etc. 

Yes, replacing a gas grill every couple of years seems to be normal in our home's harsh environment. Buy on sale after Labor Day & you can get some great deals.

Contributor

We had a gas grill at both our properties, but the new neighbor of our small property (a townhouse) was very asthmatic and had to go to the hospital twice due to smoke as the patio was too close to her bedroom windows. We want to keep the neighbors happy, as we're the only vacation rental in our complex, so I've just replaced that with an electric Weber grill and so far the guests say it works well. It was about $400 with the stand and cover from Amazon.com, and of course you have to have a place to plug it in.

For our larger property on a lake which gets mostly extended family groups, a large gas grill is expected, which we have on a wooden deck. As others above have mentioned, we have an extra propane tank alongside it for the guests to use if needed. None of them have had any problems with that arrangement. The housekeepers are supposed to clean the grill each time when they straighten up the deck tables and chairs, but we usually have to do a more thorough clean at the end of the season.