How do I respond to this?
I have been renting my home since the beginning of July and have had fabulous guests and experiences. All unsolicited 5 star reviews, just received another today from my weekend guests. In fact, I've been told my house is way more than the photos suggest and they were very happy. One guest told her family to give her time to take professional photos of my home, indoors and outdoors and then she sent me a flash drive in the mail with 73 pictures of my home to use online!
1. Yes, the trains do run often but there are crosswalks that can be taken which are very safe. They didn't have to cross over the tracks and go through the fence it's just a shortcut residents use.
2. The house was built in 1920 and this was stated clearly in my ad. This is such an odd comment I'm flabbergasted. It is a historical home and I take great pride in constantly keeping it clean and upgraded.
3. Two hours cleaning? Cleaning what? I have all hardwood flooring and Swiffer it again while waiting for guests to arrive just to be sure. Why didn't he mention something to me? I would have sent them out to lunch on me and clean whatever they did not see was up to par.
4. I'll give him the limited seating in the living room. I've been going back and forth on what to provide and am now getting a sleeper/sofa since guests with a lot of kids use an air mattress that they bring with them in anticipation of using it in a room.
5. It was an oversight not mentioning that I live in the guest house in the back. All of my other guests are aware of this and even invite me over or come over to talk to me. I take great care in keeping to myself and have a deck I use on the other side of the house so they rarely see me.
Lastly, they bleached 2 brand new towels, ran the heater in the house when it was 75 degrees outside (which took some effort to program on) and I have a note on the washer requesting guests to use the 30-minute "quick" cycle and they used the 75-minute "heavy" cycle and the extra rinse. Can't wait to see my utilities bills. They also left the house a mess with trash piled up in the kitchen and the bedrooms a mess. Even my cleaning person commented.
Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
We travel extensively as a family and chose this property because of its size and proximity to the beach. We use VRBO often, and have to say that this place was decent, but not what we were hoping. First the good: The owner is sensational and very nice. She made the process easy, and she was very accommodating. If we needed something, such as propane for the heat lamps, she took care of it. This property is close to the beach, but not necessarily a safe walk. You need to cross train tracks (which the metro uses frequently) and go through a fence to get there, and we were not too thrilled about our kids going there on their own. Moonlight Beach is one of the best beaches I have ever been to. The decks are great and we spent a good amount of time on the main deck just hanging out. The barbeque area is great and very easy to use. This is a great house to entertain in. The dining area is great, with alot of space to eat and just communicate. The bad: The house is very old and you can tell. When you are spending as much money as we were per night their are some things that you just expect. We were very disappointed in the shape the house was in when we arrived. We spent the first 2 hours cleaning the house so that we could be comfortable in it. One of my kids has asthma and is very sensitive to dust. This place was full of dust on the floors and on the appliances, and their were spider webs hanging everywhere on the walls. In the downstairs bathroom their was no door (just a curtain) to the toilet and shower. While there was alot of space in the dining room to sit and eat, their are only two chairs in the living room. With 8 people, their was only room for two people to sit and watch TV. There is no couch or other seating at all in the living room. The upstairs was nicer, but still in need of cleaning. As I said, we made it work, but for the amount of money we were spending I would have expected that the place would be cleaner upon our arrival. Lastly, while the owner is great, we were never told that she would be staying in the back house, whose front door is right near the main deck. Their is not a sense of privacy at the house because the owner is on the property as well. I just wish we were told that their would be others on the property at the same time we were renting it. She was very nice, but it was awkward and the fact that the property was not as clean or nice as we had thought was a bit of a let down.