1 7 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next 171 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2013 12:31 PM by pinehurstkid Go to original post RSS
      • 120. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!
        msdebj Senior Contributor

I wonder if those "referred" properties might be those of people who have paid more to be on higher tiers, or use all the new bells and  whistles. 

• 121. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!
          lrbaldwin Active Contributor

No, on the several tests I made, the majority were lower than my property on the default list.   Also, the majority were agency managed rather than owner managed.

Linda

http://vrbo.com/315522

• 122. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!
            Contributor

I tested this on my Homeaway listing, and the response does NOT offer other properties to consider, however there is so much push/scare tactics to get the renter to use only Reservation Manager to make payments.

• 123. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!

I just did another test to myself.  There were 10 recommended properties.

ALL 10 agency managed. 

9 were 4BR like mine, 1 was 5BR, so I went to VRBO Duck, NC section and checked the rankings.

My cottage is #26 out of approximately 159.  The 10 that were recommended were ranked:

3, 33, 38, 68, 101, 108, 117, 127, 147, 153.

Looks to me as if many of those paying half what I am for advertising are riding on my coattails.

I did 5 test inquiries to those properties, and my cottage was not in the recommended lists.  I then did a test inqury to a cottage about a block away on my street that has the same number of BR and is very close to our weekly rent.  Our cottage did not show up in that one either.

• 124. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!

dbmeyer,

I think you might be looking in the wrong place.  These offerings are not in the auto response from VRBO about making payments, etc.  As soon as you hit the Submit button to make an inquiry, a new page comes up in your browser that says something like "Thank you for your inquiry".  If you scroll down from there, you'll see the list of comparables.

Linda

• 125. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!
                  Contributor

Right you are Linda.  And by testing inquiries again on both HA and VRBO, it seems that they are suggesting other properties by a pattern.  They will suggest 33% of the total listings up to a max of 10 other listings to consider (3/15, 7/21, 10/30+).  In my case, there was a mix of owners and management company listings.  The homes suggested were #1, 6, 12, 18 (every 6th listing), then #21, 23, 25 (every other), and finally #30, 31, 32.  So at least they appear to be following an algorythym not based on ranking, management company, etc.  It is still a very unsatisfactory practice to list other properties.

• 126. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!

I don't detect any pattern from my test.  It's just extremely annoying that I'm propogating inquiries for other properties but inquiries to those properties don't offer up my property after an inquiry.  Sure seems lopsided to me! 

• 127. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!

Thanks for your reply..Doesn't make sense to me either.

• 128. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only owner noticing the many broken things with HA's policies.  When I started listing in 2006 I felt that I had a decent and equal shot at obtaining rentals.  Now, I deal with a company that seems to monopolize the online vacation rental by owner market and one that profits tremendously from placing me at a disadvantage.  I'm not just competing with other owners; I'm competing with businesses!    I've given HA feedback time and again; no response.   I don't appreciate that HA not only posts competition on my listing page, I seriously oppose emails to potential renters telling them to go somewhere specifically on vacation using the email addresses they collect on inquiries from prospective guests or calendar entries made by unsuspecting owners.   I've given HA feedback time and again; no response.   Also, setting up new 'tiers' to allow addtitional payment for more visibility AFTER they've supposedly offered the best package possible and at the highest rate of course....seems almost illegal.  Where's the honor in doing the right thing?  One might say all is fair in business but they're only able to do this because they bought EVER online rental company with any recognition out and they have the monopoly on the market.  I'd certainly reconsider IF and WHEN someone like the original owners of VRBO decides to start another site.    I've given HA feedback time and again; no response.   And, there is the emails that go out suggesting RESERVATION MANAGER is the only secure method to exchange credit card info; I've had potential and planned guests call with concern.  It may be a great program but this is an example of monopolizing scare tactic, yet again.    I've given HA feedback time and again; no response.   Also, I've volunteered to help with testing/feedback so as to give constructive input from a REAL owner....no response.  It seems as if REAL owners are not valued; we just help pay HAs bills.

• 129. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!

Hi fellow By Owners,

Cheap advertising is how the VR business started, but the rise in advertising rates for our properties has far outstripped any other price increases for our buisnesses and there seems to be no end in site.

We've launched a sign up for By Owners who want the same discount considerations that the Property Managers get.

There are WAY more of us than them, but we are currently individual drops of water instead of an ocean.

It's time to come together and get some fair treatment in the marketplace.

If you'd like to be considered for discounted rates, please just take 10 seconds and sign up on this Google docs page launched by one of us.

http://bit.ly/groupdiscount

Many thanks and please pass this on to any other By Owners you know.

Let's get the word out and get something done.

Thanks,

Rob

• 130. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!

I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM I AM VRBO304477 with a platinum level and 20 reviews (if I go to level it shows I am number 0 of 103) and suddenly I AM ON NUMBER 17 WITHOUT RECEIVING ANY SINGLE ENQUIRY SINCE SEVERAL DAYS.

The 17 apartments above me are own by a property manager called SPAIN SELECT and they came from Homeaway. Here you are the information

• #941261ha   3 reviews
                              #941264ha 2 reviews #3472228ha 0 reviews  NEW LISTING#3472370ha 0 reviews NEW LISTING#3472203ha 0 reviews  NEW LISTING

#3472190ha  0 reviews  NEW LISTING

#3472416ha  0 reviews  NEW LSITING

#3472224ha  0 reviews NEW LISTING

#3472212ha  0 reviews  NEW LISTING

#3472402ha  0 reviews NEW LISTING

#3472407ha 0  reviews   NEW LISTING

#3472214ha  0 reviews  NEW LISTING
                                 #3472208ha 0 reviews  NEW LISTING
                                 #3472388ha  0 reviews NEW LISTING

#3472400ha 0 reviews NEW LISTING

#978942ha 0 reviews

I sent at least 10 request asking to modify my situation without any answer. THEY ARE KILLING MY APARTMENT,

and I think they want to KILL any apartment from OWNERS. I feel upset, frustated, tired. I think the are more interested on Property Managers but to have 17 apartments above me JUST BECAUSE THEY PAY MORE THAN A SINGLE OWNER IS TOO MUCH.

I THINK ALL SINGLE OWNERS HAVE TO PRESS VRBO TO GET A FAIR MATCH, we the actual rules ANY SINGLE OWNER CAN PLAY THE GAME, WE ARE DEAD.

Carmen

• 131. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!

Great Idea. We would definately be interested in this idea. Please keep us posted on your progress.

• 132. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!

Count me in!... What is the latest status?

• 133. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!
                                  Contributor

Count me in.  The calendars must be kept for each property!!  Verification of ownership is a must.  The first 2-3 years would have to be free or less that $25 per year to build owners and guests using the site!  Guests throughout the world must know this is the best and only true owner site there is!!!!!!!  This is the place you go to, to rent from owners!  I also have a great name but I will not post it here.....I'll gladly tell the person who starts such a site however. If it was 30 years ago, I'd start it myself!

• 134. Re: No more vrba (vacation rentals by anyone). New owner ONLY website!

If I had the knowledge and money.. I would start the site yesterday. I agree ownership is a must!  I am up for renewal in 2 weeks with VRBO and not sure what to do. Pay for lowest rate or hope they work out the bugs. I have been with them since 2005 and it was very successful until it sold out. I used to rank number two and now I cannot even find my listing half the time.. Corporatee greed is all it is. They say its in the  best interest for travelers, what about us owners? Are we or are we not the ones that pay for the site?