45 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2020 11:35 AM by margaret RSS

What's up with delays in payouts?

utahdream Contributor

Can someone from expedia who's on this board please comment because customer service is beyond useless? I have a guest who checked in on 1/15, paid his second installment a month ago, and the payout was due yesterday but they are telling me it will be disbursed today? Now with Monday being a holiday I am not going to get it till 21st, which is when they already check out! Totally unacceptable. Somehow airbnb is always able to deposit the payout in my account on the day of, no exceptions. Can anybody answer specifically what was the reason the payment was delayed? This is the 2nd time it happened in 30 days.

• Re: What's up with delays in payouts?
          familyfirst Contributor

Me too! Got a payment on January 8 at 9:45 AM saying 5-7 business days it will be released into my account, yesterday, I called and they apologized and I got another email saying "my debit" was going to take another 5-7 business days to be deposited...

So, a total of 14 business days to get my money???

samantha_ha

feibus Senior Contributor

Sounds like disbursements had a glitch yesterday.  I wouldn't take CS's word that it'll be disbursed today, I'd ask for the CS call to get escalated to the billing team so that you have a trackable ticket number.

bonesxxx Active Contributor

That or the Mothership is having cashflow problems... I am on 'on time' payments and they have been stretching them right up until day 7.

utahdream Contributor

Yeah. I really wish that airbnb got more of the market share. I'd be so happy to shut down HA/VRBO listings. Unfortunately most of the 40+ crowd is still stuck with HA and 50% of my reservations come from this horrible platform.

bonesxxx Active Contributor

Agree for the most part.  I prefer the 40+ crowd so I invest more of my energy into HA than Air but they have been testing my love these past months... ever since the Expedia union in fact.

hunterhaus Contributor

This might just be my experience but in 2019, HA accounted for 1/3 of my bookings while Air was 2/3.

This year, I have had literally zero HA bookings, but Air has picked up the slack fully (I'm more booked than I was last year at this time, using both).

I've also had a number of the 40+ crowd book my place on Airbnb.  I think they're coming around!

Anyway this could just be my experience, but I don't think it would be as drastic as 'I'd lost 50% of my bookings if I delisted on HA' because I think other sites, particularly Airbnb, can pick up the slack.  At least in my market.

hickmanhideaway Contributor

I'm having guest's damage refunds taking more than 2 weeks to get back to them. We released the refund on the 3rd. I just called VRBO to find out where the refund was and we were told it was released from our account but it is now between VRBO and the guest and the guest would have to contact customer support because they couldn't tell us. This is damaging MY reputation because VRBO insists on handling the deposits. We always refund within 2 days of the guest checking out. And now the way it is going it could be a month before the guest gets their money?

loumc New Member

I am having the same problem. Previously payouts have worked like clockwork I receive an email notification and credited one business day after guests check in.

This week nothing - no email - no payout. Customer service are blaming a different department who for some reason no one can speak to. They assure me that this has been escalated by email BUT will only be responded to in a date order implying they are bogged down with the same. they cant even give me a date that payout mat happen - do I recharge/ demand the guests pay me again? Payoneer tell me that the payout hasnt been actioned by HA/VRBO

yes I am worried - the guests have been in since 31st Jan, it is now Feb 6th and nothing. I have guests coming in at the weekend via HA/VRBO am i going to have the same issue? Should I refuse them access?

I will be down nearly $40K causing me cash flow problems when none of this is either my fault or the guests. HA/VRBO are sitting on my money plus taking a handsome service fee but when I need help where is the customer service they pride themselves on so highly?

Will someone in management at HA VRBO or Expedia take some action - kick some butts and get this sorted -

mcnamara0321 New Member

Same problem here!  Guest checked in Feb 1. Paid in full by Jan. 2.  I am used to waiting several days after checking for the funds but this time I never received an email and the date of disbursement change, then disappeared, then changed again.  I have a ticket number but have heard nothing. 

utahdream Contributor

wow that's disturbing. When you call them what are they saying about whether the payout has been sent??? I would go apeshit if I couldn't get an answer about my money.

I am glad I only have 2 HA reservations left this season and the rest are Air and Bookings.com... Seriously how hard can it be to get the payment system up and running? Everybody else seems to have figured this out. I will def try to minimize the use of this platform moving forward by inviting past guests to book direct and opening the calendar later in the season, letting Air and Bookings take the first bite

loumc New Member

That is ineteresting - your comment about the dates changing and disapearing. I thought i had gone mad. I didnt recall seeing a date and expected payment on 1st Feb - one day after check in which is why i began to contact customer service on Monday after hearing nothing. Then on wednesday i noticed a disbursement date of 6th - I wondered how I had missed that? obviously I hadnt!

very strangely ive just checked now and it is now saying 7th Feb ........ I will let you know fingers crossed - ever the optimist

mcnamara0321 New Member

They tell me "it's an issue with the platform" and said billing is working on it.  When i ask to speak to billing they told me I cannot as they do not take inbound calls.  I'm shooketh!  I am trying to be positive that they will honor the disbursement date of today. 

loumc New Member

thats the exact same answer I get - small comfort to know i am not alone my disbursement day was yesterday but its come and gone. This could not have come at a worse time as I have some hefty bills to pay this month to secure builders for the Fall.

have you got your money mcnamara0321?

mcnamara0321 New Member

No m'am.  I screen shot the payout date in case it changes again.  I have been researching other platform options this afternoon.  The guests staying there now paid $200 May of 2019 and the final payment of $1100 on January 2.  they've been in my place for nearly a week and I have NOT BEEN PAID a dime.

mcnamara0321 New Member

coreection   they paid $2000 in  May 2019,   not 200

ha-moderator-edgar HomeAway Employee

Thank you for reporting that some of you have experienced delays in your payouts. We have identified the source of the issue and we are actively working to resolve it. We expect the affected payouts to be dispersed next week. Please note that once we have sent the payout, your bank may take time to deposit the funds into your account. The timing will vary by financial institution, typically this can take up to 5-7 days.

loumc New Member

thank you for the update very much appreciated.

However in my case this means a delay of between 2 weeks and 3 weeks. How many millions of dollars has been held up?

Are HomeAway looking to compensate those affected such as waiving the service fee on these delayed payments?

utahdream Contributor

Why is HA not compensating affected hosts by refunding the commission that they charged? Any other business would offer that when they screw up so royally. This is really disgusting. HA should refund commission for every mishandled booking because they are in violation of their own terms of service!!!

garcar14 New Member

Re:"correct answer" provided by moderator edgar Feb 7 at 5:24PM

While I appreciate the reply, it is certainly way too late in coming, and grossly too vague and inadequate.  Given the likely number of dollars being withheld from owners, this matter deserves something better than saying that we think they might get paid out next week. Given the answers  received thus far this answer sounds a lot  like - we don't have a clue when the problem will be solved.  Additionally, to just post this response on this forum site, where likely very few owners participate or even are aware of its' existence is, to put it mildly, a bit feeble.

At minimum an email should be sent to every single owner affected by this issue explaining with far better detail the scope of the problem, and efforts being made by the company to correct this problem - assuming that the extent of the issue, and how many are affected is even known.

That communication should be sent by senior management to demonstrate that there is some interest in the property owners - whose properties, by the way,  generate the income for the company.

Owners place the entirety of rental money generated by their properties in your hands - I would think that it is in your best interest to have their trust. So earn it.

shiplap Active Contributor

This is not a recent development.  Took me 28 days to get a payout in December.  I'm missing a payment from January.  This is tiresome, old and unacceptable. Putting my listing on hold until this is rectified and I get my payments caught up.  VRBO, don't think we are so desperate to list with you that we accept this.

In the meantime, I think a way to "expedite" the issue is to file a consumer complaint with AG of Texas.

lakensea Contributor

Just think - if HA just mailed out paper checks, everyone would probably have been paid a lot faster!

johnlangwig New Member

I Think the best way to handle this is to institute a company policy that the guest gets notified when the company has paid the host. And I advice all hosts to start sending your guests an email when you receive payment, thanking them for their payment. I think if the guests knew what the company was doing with their money, the problem would get quickly solved.

alexwahliw New Member

Slame here!!!2 separate accounts no payout have been made! I'm desperate need to make payments etc and this is ruining all my finance this is horrible!

im glad most of my STR comes from airbnb, they never missed a payment! however the big houses are listed only in Vrbo/homeaway to keep the crowd over  35+ but hey #vrbo #homeaway where's my money ?????

utahdream Contributor

Me again here... got hit with this issue again. So my guest checked in on Saturday and I only got a half of my money today. Called VRBO to see why that is - was told that his second installment (which he paid a month ago!!!) was only processed by the company recently and is in some mysterious "holding account" and will be dispbursed on 3/5. The guest leaves on 2/29. This is beyond absurd. I have blocked my calendar for the next skiing season and will not be taking reservations on HA. I will be inviting all guests from this season to book on AirBnb instead since I have their contact info. Air has 3% fee vs. 15% here and they never missed or screwed up a payment, not once. It is really mind boggling that the parent company the size of Expedia can't nail a stupid credit card payment system

margaret CommunityAmbassador

utahdream  Why have repeats book on ABB???? Let them book direct with you to save the service fee!

utahdream Contributor

don't really feel like setting up my own thing with payments, agreements, e-signatures etc. I have a highly seasonal property at a ski resort and take only about 20 reservations per year (summers rented under a long term lease). Credit card processing fee alone is going to be like 2.5% hardly seems to be worth the hassle. Airbnb has been an excellent platform, works like a Swiss clock and is low cost.

mcnamara0321 New Member

UGH!  Again!!!  I am so sorry to hear this.  I have four bookings in March and all paid in full months ago.   I do have mine listed now on AirBnB after this happened last month. I have no host reviews on AirBnB but I do have great reviews as a guest.  I also do three and four month short term rentals on my own and love that I control that. Those come from Zillow and Craig's list. No fees.

utahdream Contributor

fingers crossed for you! I only have one left from HA in march and sadly someone already booked next christmas on HA. Who books a year in advance? Oh well. From now on Air and Booking get the first bite

mcnamara0321 New Member

I am booked already for half of march next year!  Arizona during Spring training is popular.  I've already blocked it on Vrbo and unsynched my Airbnb calendar.  I'm NOT playing around with this money fiasco.  I don't mind paying fees if they are EARNED with good service and timely settlement in addition to the marketing they provide. All three are important.  I hope they come through in March. 

utahdream Contributor

Yes I think what aggravates me the most is the lack of acknowledgment that they keep screwing up and the lack of mitigation. It's NOT OK to be like "oh yeah, looks like we screwed up again, we'll pay in a week, pinky swear!". No, just no. Refund me the commission you collected when you screw up. That would be fair.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

Payment not being disbursed when it is due is unacceptable. There were many, many owners across the owners forums who said they would no longer list with Vrbo due to this problem. They will surely lose listings if this type of thing continues. The "glitch" causing the disbursement date to change daily was still going on about a week ago. The fact that the funds are being held for 5-7 business days is bad enough but then to push the release date back day after day is adding insult to injury. A lack of owner confidence in the payment processing system is something that will drive owners away from this site. It almost seems like every change Vrbo makes helps grow ABB market share.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

It may be a funding issue?

The forcing us to use the payment system was my first red flag.

I have one new rental to the market.  I am not getting paid till after they leave. 

If Expedia goes belly up financially its not a good ending.

Perhaps it might be a good idea, to note in your rental agreement,  that should anything happen to the platform where the booking and payment were made, owner managers are released from liability form issues,  caused by that platform.

I now do not take last minute reservations on my other properties either for that very reason.

u0999 Premier Contributor

well actually, this plays to vrbo's advantage. I have long maintained that vrbo wants to get rid of individual owners and perhaps small PMs on their platform. Large managers use software and collect payment themselves, so chances are , they are not affected.

wildiris Senior Contributor

What bothers me the most about this news story is Vrbo telling the reporter, "... but we're not aware of problems with payments being received."   This flies in the face of dozens of posts in this Community and moderator-edgar's "Correct Answer" response to this thread.  Vrbo is very much aware of problems with payments being received (or not received, to be more accurate).

db.meyer Senior Contributor

What is also interesting is that when I first read the article there were multiple "comments" at the end of the article by owners citing their particular no-payment issues (I no longer see these comments do you?) and there was also a video of the news story which included brief screen shots of this forum's threads and comments on the issue.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

Thank for helping with the information.

Just to add, when I was able to use my own, which was PayPal, it was next day and my bank did not take 5 to 7.

The 5 to 7 started with Yapstone, who is probably laughing at all of us now.

hunterhaus Contributor

It's really a shame what has happened to this platform.  I'm not sure how any host is still listing here....these payment 'glitches' are completely unacceptable in any industry.