14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2020 4:17 PM by wildiris RSS

more bugs...the new normal of VRBO

wkm2a Contributor

Just another bug that could have been avoided with 30 seconds of testing...

If someone makes an inquiry and then asks for a quote with a different number of guests the change will not show up on the new quote that you send out.

I charge extra for larger groups and their group was 11.  Their inquiry was for 2.  The new quote had the non-transparent "Owner's Fee" tacked on to it and they were totally confused.  I also was trying to give them a discount but of course VRBO removed the ability to add a line item discount to a quote...instead opting to yet again make the booking process more opaque and confusing.

$10,000 booking....thanks VRBO for being just terrible and getting worse with each new "update".

• Re: more bugs...the new normal of VRBO
          wkm2a Contributor

to make it worse....after many back and forth messages, they try to book and the website keeps crashing on the payments page.

planthealth Active Contributor

We had an inquiry last night and it took 6 attempts to accept the booking. So now our acceptance clock is wrong showing it took over 12 hours, because we tried several times last night and then several times again this morning. Not a good way to introduce new guests to VRBO "sorry please call CS because I can't help you".

wkm2a Contributor

I have never dealt with a more incompetent company than VRBO/HomeAway.  Two days of this traveler trying to book my house.  They even called CS to book directly and that was a fail as well.  Why am I making so much effort to book through VRBO and let them receive a $500 booking fee as well as take 3% of the booking fees when they have done literally nothing to earn it?  Not to mention I am paying a $500 subscription fee for a broken, bug ridden website as well.

At the current rate of decline this site will be on life support by the end of this year....it's amazing how quickly a great company can be destroyed by terrible, greedy management.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I understand your frustration, but would they have found your property any other way? I have had issues with pricing for 2 months, and was not happy with that on my listing, but there is something to be said for the exposure??

wkm2a Contributor

It is irrelevant if they could have found me another way....they are completely unable to book my house through VRBO.  I am shocked that they are even still trying to book my house....they told me that the 3 times they have called CS has resulted in extremely rude and uninformed agents giving them completely contradictory information.  CS makes owners seem utterly incompetent through their actions.

I am taking action today to make sure that future travelers can find me through other channels besides a broken VRBO.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

If wkm2a has the property available through other sources, it is very likely the guest could have found it through another source. I have never kept all my eggs in one basket but until the past few years most of my bookings came through Vrbo, this is no longer the case. IMO currently the exposure from Vrbo is not anywhere near what it was in the past. Unfortunately, Vrbo is no longer the go to site for VRS.

wkm2a Contributor

margaret yes they "found" me through the "other site" who was going to charge them $1300 in booking fees....so they looked elsewhere to find my listing.  I too used to get 90% of my bookings through VRBO...now I get maybe 1 a month.  I am now wondering if it is because most guests just can't complete the booking and move on to another site to book.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

I wasn’t arguing that point Margaret, I am just pointing out that unfortunately no matter how bad/good vrbo is conducting business right now it sounds like the inquiry came through their platform. I agree that we need more exposure to other platforms, social media, etc. I used to use vrbo only, not anymore.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

I had a refund for a vacationer this week, and I told them, for now, due to the platform problems I would not refund them on the site, but refund them from my business account with PayPal.

But...I will now to make a note on my accounting as HomeAway will not show a refund....Hence a accounting error for my income from them.

UGH  

Why can we not do our payments and they can still charge the "service fee"????????????

tlcloset Contributor

I have been getting error messages all weekend.  Not able to accept bookings.  Guests not able to pay.  Guests getting charged for insurance only and not the booking.  This morning....still error messages.

wkm2a Contributor

Just got an inquiry for my other house.  I pre-approved this guy...which I REALLY hate doing but a CS rep said it would potentially make it easier for him to book by magically bypassing all the landmines that VRBO has put in place to hamper the booking process.  The pre-approval process is the equivalent of a hard-sell and I despise it...he was already sent a payment request which I just find obnoxious since he hasn't even booked yet...

Anyway.....4 hours later and nothing.  I have no idea if he was just poking around or if he is screaming at his monitor right now due to not being able to complete the booking process.  How many bookings have we all lost due to VRBOs incompetence?

On a side note...why would VRBO remove our ability to look at a travelers reviews?  How could that possibly be an improvement to the site?  It's ironic that lately they have only been removing functionality yet still introducing more bugs into their system.