10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2020 7:20 AM by twobitrentals RSS

Bathtub opinions please?

linkybo Contributor

I've got a higher end rental, rents between $425 and 1k/night. It sleeps 10 and has 2 stand alone showers and one shower/tub combo. I'm remodeling the bathroom with the shower/tub combo and I LOVE the soaking tubs but they are 22" tall. I measured the tubs at my house and they are a shrimpy 13". In mine, you get about 8 inches of water to "soak" in and the 22" tub gets 15" of water. Yes, that's more water, so there's a reason to go with the short tub. Plus it's the only tub in the house and will be more difficult to get in and out of, even if you're just taking a shower in that bathroom. But I'm going with upscale fixtures and materials, and I'd like the bath to look upscale.

What do you think? Short, less water, easy to get in and out of bath tub? Or tall, more water, more luxurious to soak in bath tub?

Thanks!

• Re: Bathtub opinions please?
          bobbie32 Premier Contributor

Where are you located?  For us in drought-stricken California, we will do anything to discourage an overuse of water.  I simply cannot imagine soaking in 15" of water in a bath-tub.  We do offer a hot-tub, but that water gets reused and is treated and tested daily.

linkybo Contributor

The house is in Oregon. I do worry if they'll fill it several times a day and I'll get a ridiculous water bill. I really hate the look of that short tub, despite it probably being a better choice.

bobbie32 Premier Contributor

I'm glad you posted this discussion.  We might be remodeling our larger guesthouse bath.  We need to keep the combination tub/shower, so will definitely take a deeper tub into consideration.  It is definitely more difficult to climb over the edge of a higher tub, but still might be the best choice.  And of course there is the wasted water issue.  Frankly very few of our guests probably use the tub and only use the shower portion.  Our last guest arrived with their adult severely autistic kid.  The kid used the hot-tub 5 hours a day!!!  But that is the only thing that made him happy during the stay.  I cannot imagine if he had used the bathtub that much.  Glad we could offer the hot-tub. 

u0999 Premier Contributor

In a higher end house def deeper soaker(s). I am sorry but 13" tub is strictly symbolic and only good for bathing a small puppy or a kid, why bother having it, may as well just have shower. especially if you only have one tub in the house, make it count. I opted in my last 2 VRs to have one deeper tub (not a soaker, but jetted, but still) each. People use it quite a bit!. I myself need one as I get achy and I need to soak in hot water to relive my aches. . and I am no petite ballerina to fit into a 13" deep tub with 8" of water in it.

green_mango Active Contributor

Upscale?  Go with the soaker tub for sure.   Or since it's a shower/tub combo and I see the point about it being more difficult to step over for showers (which I'm guessing is 99% of usage), then is there anything in between heights that still looks really nice?  Do mostly adults use this bathroom or will it be kids? 

linkybo Contributor

It seems like tubs are either 13" or at least 19". I know it will make it more difficult to shower, which you're right, they probably use the shower the most. There are 2 walk in showers in the house, if mobility is an issue, and they both have hand held sprayers. That 13" tub looks so cheap compared to the rest of the finishes.

wildiris Senior Contributor

The longer that I've been doing vacation rentals, the more convinced I am that simpler is better and eliminating features that could result in guest misuse and/or injury is a plus.  Getting into and out of bathtubs is a major source of people injuring themselves at home.  https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/health/research/16stats.html  Not surprisingly, the likelihood of being injured while getting into or out of a bathtub increases with age.  I would expect that the risk of injury while getting into or out of a tub/shower combination would be greater with a soaking tub with higher sides.  Another consideration is whether you frequently have families with young children stay at your rental.  Is the tub frequently used to bathe small children?  I know from personal experience that giving a small child a bath in a soaking tub is "hard" on a parent's back.

What are the demographics of your renters?  If you frequently have family groups staying that include older adults and/or young children, the lower tub may be your better, safer choice.  Also, how frequently do you think your adult guests will actually take a bath in the tub/shower combo as opposed to using it to take a shower?  In all the photos that I have seen of upscale bathrooms with soaking tubs, there has been a separate shower in the bathroom.  I don't think I've ever seen a photo of a tub/shower combo with a soaking tub.

Edited to add - I just measured the height of the tub in our bathroom with a tub/shower combo.  The tub is 20" high and I consider this to be a "standard" height bathtub.  A 13" high bathtub is a very shallow tub.  I think that it would be fine to replace your 13" tub with a tub that is 20" high, but I wouldn't install a tub that is any higher than that.