5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2019 11:05 AM by bonesxxx RSS

When did Vrbo start Selling Bed's, shared accommodations?

captmarkhd Senior Contributor

So when did Vrbo allow property managers or owners to sell a single bed or a shared accommodation similar to what ABB does? I thought that Vrbo only allowed private rooms. Also how does a property manager get away from not having to publish a nightly price? This  property is listed 8 times in my region selling individual beds. There is only one listing that states that its for 6 people and that listing does have a cost of $80pn.

FireShot Capture 111 - Top 50 Osa Peninsula Vacation Rentals_ - https___www.vrbo.com_search_keywor.jpgFireShot Capture 116 - Naguala SingleBed4 ( 1 Bedroom condo ) - Dr_ - https___www.vrbo.com_7956501ha.jpg

• Re: When did Vrbo start Selling Bed's, shared accommodations?
          margaret CommunityAmbassador

Today's episode of Judge Judy showed a HA/VRBO case. The owner of a townhouse was renting individual bedrooms to be shared by multiple strangers. I believe the owner also lived in the town house.

wildiris Active Contributor

I'm not surprised.  HomeAway has permitted hotel rooms to be listed for a year or more.  There's even a "hotel" filter for travelers to use when they search.  Any wonder why they changed the name from VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner) to Vrbo (Ver-boh - a nonsense word)?

db.meyer Senior Contributor

We had at least one previous discussion on "Shared spaces" back in December. They are not "technically" allowed on HA/Vrbo, but are on Expedia. Read my post and others on that thread for a link to HA's definition and policy on "shared", etc.

Re: First guest asking for full refund and pursues charge-back process. Help?

"I also noticed that the Bed and Breakfast category is now available to chose on the owner dashboard under Amenities, as are hostels and hotel suites, so "shared space" listings are now allowed to be added directly to HA/VRBO in spite of the Policy that says they are not (see link below).

Here is HA's policy on shared spaces:

What is HomeAway's policy regarding shared space rentals? | HomeAway Help

What is HomeAway's policy regarding shared space rentals?

HomeAway is committed to offering a whole home experience for travelers. As such we do not allow shared spaces on the platform.

Shared Space is defined as any property listing where the traveler could unintentionally share space inside the property with the partner or other guests not in their party during their experience. This includes listings from hostels and bed & breakfast style properties.

If you are interested in listing a bed & breakfast property, please visit Expedia.com.

captmarkhd Senior Contributor

Thanks for that link, It was informative. So HA is doing what they normally do, say one thing and then do whatever they want. Have one set of rules for property owners another for property managers and now properties on Expedia. It’s absolutely ridiculous that they are adding  hotels, hostels and campgrounds to a Vacation Home rental site!!!

bonesxxx Active Contributor

IMHO they will figure it out eventually but it may be too late when they do.

If I were searching as a traveller and had to sort through a bunch of nonsense to find what I was looking for (a vacation home rental) OR adjust filters to present what I was looking for, I would 'x' out and use another platform.

IF they (Expedia) are smart, they will manage their brands to show the right audience what they came to find.  The flipside is that if I were looking for a hotel room, I would not want my search clogged with vacation homes or rooms in people's townhomes... they are separate and distinct markets... I really have to believe those who control the corporate strategy understand this.  I really do.