1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 106 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2015 12:11 AM by mlbmaine Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..
        crescentbeach4u Community All-Star

I have been using spoonbill's template (although modified) since starting a year ago.  I have not had one complaint of its length or intensity.   I also use Rightsignature to round off the experience totally online.  BTW, I have checked with several lawyers and they said that it is very solid and would be a pain for travelers to come to my state (Florida) and fight it if it came to trial.

Best of luck

• 31. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..
          spoonbill Contributor

Look further up on the thread and you will see a link where you can down load it.  BTW, I'm an attorney but currently inactive and not practicing.  It's a little long because tere are certain protections you need to have just in case you get that bad apple.  Hopefully, you wil never need to use some of those paragraphs.

• 32. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..
            thedavids98 New Member

THANK YOU!!!! We are new to this world, and I have been running in circles for three days, trying to put together a rental agreement.  I downloaded your sample agreement, quickly read thru and changed what applied to our home, and I feel so good about it!  It covered exactly what we needed covered (I think) and I feel our renters will enter their stays with us knowing what is expected of them.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• 33. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..
              bandt Contributor

Spoonbill, I cant thank you enough!  I'm going nutty finding out so much info on this site! been reading for days now, my eyes are bugged out, soo helpfull !  but what about the esign location, how does this work?

• 34. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..
                spoonbill Contributor

I'm happy to hear that you like my rental contract.  I provide this contract for your use and modification gratis.  I am an attorney licensed in California.  In California, and I suspect many other states, ensuring that your rentals are short term-transient type rentlas is key to not entering into a landlord-tenant agreement and that you maintain the right of entry.  This type of language keeps you in the hospitality business and not the landlord business.  It is a very critical legal distinction because eviction under landlord-tenant can be long and costly.  I frequently get requests for longer than 30 day rentals, it is important to be careful that you haven't entered into a landlord tenant relationship.  If I want to discount under such conditions, I make it clear that the rental is a weekly rental for a certain number of weeks and then discount the weekly rate to make it work.  To make sure someone doesn't take advantage of you and check out early only having paid the discounted rate, you could instead apply the discount at the end in the form of free days or week as the case may be.  Some states may require the guest to check out and reregister (without actually vacating the premise) to maintain your legal rights.

I have recently changed my rental agreement to move all of the fill in portions to an attachment becasue the on line booking site I use doesn't allow for PDF forms.  They digitally sign teh agreement and only have to return the completed attachment. Here is where you can download for your own use: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11410751/NEW%20SAMPLE%203-26-13%20VACATION%20RENTAL%20AGREEMENT%203-18-13.doc

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11410751/SAMPLE%20ATTACHMENT%20A%203-26-13%20VACATION%20RENTAL%20AGREEMENT%289%29%20-%20ATTACHMENT%20A%20AUTHORIZED%20GUESTS.doc

PLEASE NOTE:  You use these and make modifications at your own risk.  These are not warranted to be suitable for you or your legal jusrisdiction and are provided as a courtesy and template only.

John

• 35. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..
                  evan Active Contributor

my contract is also iron clad and as long or longer than johns.i've taken at least 15 contracts from all over and added bits and pieces over the yrs. The only thing i would change with this contract is the cancellation policy. For me its too stringent as there doesn't appear to be any refunds even if you cancel 5months out. Mine is 90 days one can cancel. My contract used to be 60 days. on the travel insurance part i would list a few companies in the field like travel guard or csa as few renters would know were to get this insurance.actually since its not really a legal requirement to tell a renter about the insurance i might put this info in my final letter after all payment is received werei list all things like my codes and directions . also john were do you buy insurance that pays then 75% back if they cancel for any reason? overall a great contract.i also require a license as thats the ultimate peace of mind its a legitimate renter

• 36. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..
                    lrbaldwin Active Contributor

"since its not really a legal requirement to tell a renter about the insurance"

Evan, it IS a requirement in North Carolina IF we don't want to have to refund days lost due to a mandatory evacuation.   We learned that the hard way to the tune of $600.  We don't have to give them a list of insurance companies, just need to advise them that it's available and recommended.

Linda

• 37. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..
                      bandt Contributor

Thank you again, I already tweeked the original one but I suppose I need to update already, haha, BTW spoonbill, the near end where it ask for requested 4 digit code, typo? see>>>" FOUR DIGIT ENTRY CODE FOR FRONT DOOR DEIRED" you mean desired?

• 38. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..
                        spoonbill Contributor

I should say that I don't believe my contract is "iron clad" very few are, but it covers most of the bases.  Evan, Travel Gaurd offers this policy for an 11% of total premium.  For a while I was selling Travel Gaurd insurance because many of the rental agencies price it into their contracts and I wanted to avoid any issues.  However, once VRBO started selling it Travel Gaurd advised me that they weren't making enough money from me so they dropped me as an agent.  I suspect that VRBO may have put pressure on them to drop the small agents so they could get the business.

While I have in my contract that there are no refunds and in three years I have never had an issue, as a practical matter if they cancel at least 90 days out I refund their money less an administrative charge of $300 to cover my costs.  I used to have it in my contract but took it out to keep the agreement simple and to avoid confusion.  If people believe that it can't be cancelled they don't try unless it is a serious situation like a family emergency.  If they think they can, you invite shoppers looking for a better deal rather than serious vacationers.  At least that is my thinking.  You all are free to modify as you see fit.

I require the driver's license so verify the age and the credit card holder.  Helps keep the fraudsters away.

John

P.S.

Those that have problems with VRBO/Homeaway review policies should look at Vacationhomerentals.com.  They allow you to prevent the review from posting and I find they generate as many bookings as VRBO/Homeaway.

• 40. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..
                          evan Active Contributor

I'm in fla and i have a clause in contract to refund all unused premium if we have mandatory evacuation. John i think in your contract it said travel guard will refund your money for any reason? I've talked  with travel guard and they acted like it has to be sickness or emergency. also you said travel guard charges 11% of the premium, when i talked to them they uoted me prices that were based on the age of the renter, a 35 yr old was 1/2 the priceof a 75 yr old

• 41. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..
                            spoonbill Contributor

Travel Gaurd offered two policies and both included Hurricane protection.

Here is the link to the Cancel for any reason policy flyer:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11410751/ASTP%20with%20CFAR%20Flyer.pdf

And here is a link to the flyer on Hurrican protection: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11410751/All%20Seasons%20Travel%20Plan%20Flyer.pdf

One more flyer: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11410751/Hurricane%20Flyer%20%28Updated%20April%202009%29.pdf

I hope this helps you.

John

• 42. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..

Spoonbill, or anybody that can help me, I am a new owner, I would appreciate a copy of rental agreement if you don't mind. My email is: maxters0629@aol.com. thanks

• 43. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..
                                crescentbeach4u Community All-Star

I have sent you one as well

• 44. Re: RENTAL AGREEMENTS BOILER PLATES ALREADY CREATED..

I am interested in getting a copy of a California Vacation Rental Agreement. We are just starting this process and any help we could get with a boilerplate contract would be great. thank you. emai: lfleschutz@cox.net

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next