11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2019 10:17 AM by droptop RSS

Problem with Vrbo sending email to guests about access codes

moosebigd Active Contributor

About two weeks prior to their arrival, our last three guests have emailed us wondering why we haven't provided them with the remote, keyless access code to enter our condo. We typically don't provide the code until about one week prior to arrival for out of state guests and a few days prior to arrival for guests who are closer. The most recent guest said he was concerned that the app wasn't working.  We suspect that Vrbo is sending yet another message raising concern to our guests and signing our name to it.  Any suggestions how we can stop Vrbo from sending a message to access a pass code on their website that is not/will not be there? 

• Re: Problem with Vrbo sending email to guests about access codes
          margaret CommunityAmbassador

I don't use the hospitality app for giving access codes. I have noted on the app that the code will be sent by email a few days prior to arrival along with check in instructions. I also tell the guests at booking that they will receive the code a few days before by email directly from me. I don't put codes on any site, I prefer to send them directly. I think if you address it before it becomes a concern it will alleviate any questions or stress for the guests.

sage Senior Contributor

I know it is so last century and contrary to expectations of millenials, but once the guest had paid the full amount owed I would mail the ResortLock access code, written on a small card with detailed instructions how to enter the code and to create an individual code. I also included a physical map and business cards. I do not trust technology to always work -- a guest who has not kept their phone charged may find they do not have the information when most needed. And if there was a problem with the guest I wanted to have some verified method to reach them and not just an email address that might be abandoned following their stay.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

sage, we email them a lengthy welcome packet with maps and their code and all sorts of info.  They can either print all of it out, some of it out, or none.  We also request on our rental agreement the "number we can reach you at during your stay,"  which I always text to a few days prior to their arrival to send "reminders," which also tests their response as well.  So while we don't send anything on paper, we give them everything they can possibly need in a manner that gives the ability to have everything on paper, should they choose to do so. 

I'm not a fan of technology being the end all, partly because it fails sometimes (as you mentioned above), and also because I'm wary of giving control of everything to technology.  When this thread started I thought, "what's next, being required to have our info loaded into an app that the traveler can load on their phone, that allows the traveler to unlock our door with said app?"  I thought of this like it is some sort of "wave of the future."  Well, it's not, the technology exists NOW.  That would be great if you wanted to do so, but not so great if we are forced to use it. 

scowol Active Contributor

moosebigd  You can adjust the default setting for all guests in the Hospitality app.  Just set it to your preferred 7 days advance notice, or disable scheduled access by unchecking the tick box and provide it manually for each guest.  Screen shot below:

Capture.PNG

moosebigd Active Contributor

Thanks for everyone's help.  The problem is that I do not use the Hospitality app to send the door code.  I send it manually.  I will not have it there in 7 days before arrival.  And I don't want to have to manually delete this notice going out to each guest.  I want to click a box to get rid of it across the board.  But I want to still keep Access Instructions, Driving directions and Parking instructions.

scowol Active Contributor

moosebigd   The above screen is a universal setting.  So it will allow you to "get rid of it across the board."   Just set the days out to the desired number, or turn it off entirely by unchecking the box. 

droptop Contributor

Not quite accurate in some cases.

The new term they're using for the app for some, anyway, is called "Welcome Guest" and has a flaw that they're going to address:  It doesn't have any of those 'disable' features.  Until that's fixed, guests get a Vrbo email directing that they download the app to access their check-in information immediately.  After conforming this with CS, it appears that owner choice is to populate the fields with selected information you've supplied in your documents; don't populate the fields; or, populate the fields with "Please see information owner provided at time of final payment/when booking finalized.' 

They said they hope to make it interactive to allow disabling at some point in the future.