15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2019 8:22 PM by amanda_ha RSS

Its about time VRBO starts RESPECTING its owners

kmcbhense Contributor

Here's the latest situation for me.

I received a booking back on August 13th. I"m on advanced pay for all 14 of our properties, including this one. (been a vrbo member for 11 years) Today I checked to see, and we hadn't gotten any notification that funds were going to be send to our bank. We had other bookings for other properties from both the 14th and 15th, and had already gotten notification on them. So I checked further into it and found under the booking that the funds would not be distributed until after guest check in! So I called CS, told them I have always been on advanced pay. They said Yapstone changed there policy, and transferred me to them. Yapstone then told me it was Homeaway not them, and that they had gotten a letter from homeaway saying they would be moving everyone to there platform. I then got transferred back to vrbo cs, and had no success from them either.

I've never ever received any type of email, or such, from homeaway about this.  My question is also, why would they single out just 1 of our 14 properties? I contacted the guests, told them I was cancelling there booking because of these issues, and recommended they contact VRBO directly to voice there displeasure. I then got an email from VRBO trying to place the blame on me and why did I cancel them! Now I'm sure I'll also be moved to the bottom of the searches for the cancellation.

I Guess my best advice to all homeowners here, check your bookings with a fine tooth comb, because changes are indeed coming, without any notice to you!

• Re: Its about time VRBO starts RESPECTING its owners
          bonesxxx Active Contributor

There has been a MASSIVE discussion about this topic here:Early Payout Notification

Not saying it will make you happy,,, just pointing out that you are far from alone.

Best,

-b

EDIT: I see you were on that thread too.  Sorry it's come to this.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

Maybe Amanda would help with this issue?

ha-moderator-christi HomeAway Employee

We’ve heard that some partners are having issues with their Yapstone payment account. Unfortunately, we don’t have more information to share at this time but are working with Yapstone to find out more.

Vrbo has been working on upgrading our payment platform and are now offering this service in the US. We are migrating accounts in phases based on when certain features are available. If you are interested in being one of the first to migrate to our payment platform, We can send you a link to accept the payment terms. Once migrated, we will notify you. After you have migrated, you will be prompted to add your bank account details so you can receive payouts on new bookings. By upgrading your payment account, you can benefit from:

• A flat 3% processing fee and no surcharges

• World-class fraud prevention

• Expert 24/7 support from our team with no transfers to third parties

• New reporting tools that make tracking payouts easier

kmcbhense Contributor

Hi Christi, Thank you very much for reaching out to me. I only have one question, and its a vitally important one. If I migrate this listing to Homeaway payments, do I get advanced payments or guest check in payments? If its the latter, then they is no reason whatsoever for me to make the switch.

Trust has to be earned, and right now vrbo does not have my trust that they are doing the right and proper things. Prime example, why no communication with owners.

amanda_ha HomeAway Employee

kmcbhense,

We expect early payout will be available to eligible partners in the next 45 to 90 days.  To qualify for early payments, we are reviewing your past and current marketplace behavior.  Your volume and frequency of bookings, cancellations, etc. are part of the factors that inform your eligibility.  While there is no guarantee that you will initially qualify for early payments, we do intend to offer you a number of benefits with our payment option. 

We appreciate your patience as we manage ethi change.

Thank you,

Amanda

swlinphx Premier Contributor

Hi Christi, Thank you very much for reaching out to me. I only have one question, and its a vitally important one. If I migrate this listing to Homeaway payments, do I get advanced payments or guest check in payments? If its the latter, then they is no reason whatsoever for me to make the switch.

Except you are forgetting that by migrating to HomeAway's in-house payments you pay a flat 3% fee even on international bookings, not the whopping 5% Yapstone charges.  So you are saving 2% regardless of the advanced payments option.

countrygirl212 New Member

I don't know if it helps, but everyone especially the premier partners should file "feedback" complaint under help.

Home Away may have been around longer that Airbnb, but Airbnb is the "Kleenex" or Google of the industry.

HA/VRBO advantage was that it took care of it's owners better by paying better.  No one in Corporate has counted the cost of losing

their major advantage... great loyal owners.  They probably don't believe we will leave.

There are ways to compromise.  As a premier partner, that should be a benefit, to be able to have advance payment beyond this year. 

HA if they truly were looking to benefit both sides.... they will consider this... my guess is that they are more interested in the interest money they will make.

I don't want to switch ... I have marketing that directs to this site... but I won't see the funds until after the people are long gone I have to pay my cleaning service, and as someone else said... I'm having a hard time trusting HA / VRBO  if I had a bad client in, that complained too much they might not release the funds at all to me and I would be out everything.

We should be rewarded for serving HomeAway /VRBO well.  Christi I don't need a response, but I do request you get these replies to the President.  There is no reason to pay more for using your plateform.  This is a horrible decision that may cost the company more than it counted on.  Please let your premier partners  keep the advance payments.

auntytammy Contributor

Sadly, I feel Expedia (HomeAway/Vrbo) has systematically been working to replace Owners in the entire process. Exhibit #A: VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner) has been downplayed to Vrbo (Verbow).

To date, I have tolerated the changes which have included circumventing my ability to communicate and book Guests directly through my own payment sources. Now, even IF a Traveler pays via e-check or bank draft, Owners are charged credit card processing fees--for money they may get a week later. Even our Master Calendars, once linked to our personal websites, no longer shows dates. Instead, would-be Guests are redirected to HomeAway. And, don't get me started on the so-called Service Fee which ultimately also has eroded my profitability.

Presently, we may be faced with payment delays that could amount to months or even a year?!  Meantime, my overhead is only going UP! Everyone wants a piece of the Vacation Rental business these days; however, none of these parties share in the risks. For some reason, we are perceived as cash cows--far from it. I, for one, am getting sick and tired of making money for everyone except my husband and me who otherwise live on Social Security Disability Income.

As a Premiere Partner, I have stayed loyal despite these slights and changes over the years, because I otherwise abhor the AirBnB business model. However, if Expedia continues to peruse this latest infringement upon my business, at the very least, I will no longer list exclusively with this platform.

Expedia needs to understand that we are not hotel operators. And, for most of us, our margins already are slim, especially after taxes are assessed by our local governments. In my market, I pay property taxes like a hotel (almost $20,000 a year as a Vacation Rental), and pay more for utilities because I am zoned commercial (even though my house sits on a residential street). It really is getting to be too much to bear. Although, I do have an exit strategy which is to SELL to someone who has been drinking the Kool-Aid.

Sad, but true.

bonesxxx Active Contributor

It’s interesting. I took a BDC market survey recently (not a fan of BDC) where they asked me about all the OTRs I use. I listed them all and, for some reason, they asked me tons of questions about ABB and TA/FlipKey. Not one about HA/Vrbo... not one.  So either they think they know everything about VRBO already, they don’t care, or there is something more sinister afoot.

Bottom line: in today’s world don’t put all your eggs in one basket. None of them care about us.

ha-moderator-michael HomeAway Employee

Thank you for your valuable feedback and patience. We have shared more information about payment changes here.

Best,

Michael

ponokai Contributor

I just received the notice that the payment platform has changed. It's interesting that I was unable to access any of my account information until I clicked on the update box and accepted the new terms. Once I accepted the terms, I was able to access all my account information, including community and feedback. I'm definitely not happy about how HA is implementing this update.

ha-moderator-michael HomeAway Employee

We appreciate the feedback and discussion on the recent changes.  Our latest update to payment changes can be found here

amanda_ha HomeAway Employee

Thank you all for your patience and feedback. Please see our new article, FAQs and details on Vrbo's payment platform for more information.

Sincerely,

Amanda