70 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2019 2:07 PM by brie344 RSS

Early Payout Notification

dramsey Contributor

We received an email this morning stating our account would be moved to the new payment platform and that we have been selected for Early Payout, which was great news. The email gave some information regarding the new platform to include that Early Payout is by invitation only.

• Re: Early Payout Notification
          feibus Senior Contributor

Good for you!!!

And good to know they're starting to "beta" that feature for homeowners on the new platform.  Can you cut/paste the note here (without info identifying you or your account)?

ha-moderator-christi HomeAway Employee

Super Excited to hear you were one of the ones chosen for the test group!!. The notices started going out today to a group of partners that have already excepted the new payment terms and conditions. When migrating over these partners will need to fill out their banking information.

lakensea Contributor

ha-moderator-Christi My subscription is due for renewal on October 7th - is there a way to confirm if I will be eligible for the "on time/advance pay" program?

Also, what is the time frame expected to be from the time HomeAway receives the guest's payment to the time the homeowner sees the funds deposited?

Thanks.

lakensea we do not currently have a way to guarantee who will be on Earl Pay.

Here is the information I have on timelines for Early Pay.

Early payouts are released to your bank account seven days after the traveler completes a payment. The payout should then be available in your bank account within five to seven business days, depending on your bank’s processing time. Currently, early payouts are available by invitation only.

what's with the long delay?  In some instances, when the reservation is for the upcoming week, we're not going to see the money until after the guest is back home.

margaret CommunityAmbassador

I am going to guess that this is the reason for the delay:

"Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event a Guest provides correct notice to the website the Property was booked through within 24 hours of the scheduled check in that the "Property is not as described, or there is some other issue with the Property, You authorize us to return the Accommodation Fees to the Guest."

Read 2nd paragraph of this section in following link:   1.6 Fraud and Risk Reviews and Settlement Timeline.

https://www.homeaway.com/info/legal/hap-terms-conditions

That's not 7 days, though.  That's 1-3 days tops.

hickmanhideaway Contributor

Are they sending an email out to the guest to ask if the property ISN'T AS EXPECTED? An opportunity to get their money back and a free stay? If they are sending any type of email that gives the impression my property is misrepresented and the guest has an out, that is so wrong.

No, they are not sending out emails asking if the property isn't as expected. One of the things covered by Book With Confidence is a property significantly different than described.

A large part of our customer service teams job is helping travelers, part of that is lodging or rebooking a traveler who is covered by BWC. We do ask all owners that have to cancel a reservation for any reason other than the traveler requested it outside of the cancelation policy to refund the traveler. If the traveler is covered by BWC Vrbo ends up paying for lodging and any overage when rebooking.

For what it's worth when a reservation is canceled and refunded in full everyone loses.

I will reach out and see if I can get an answer when and if I get an answer I will follow up.

martyp Contributor

SEVEN DAYS!!  Why so long???

When guests book direct, rather than through VBRO, my credit card processor has the funds in my bank the very next day.

martyp Contributor

Christi,

I have read the agreement and there is an incongruity that I would like you to explain.  Section 2.3(i) states:

"Your Property bookings are transactions solely between You and the relevant Guest and not with us or any of our affiliates; "

If the booking is "solely" between me and the guest, then why is HomeAway holding on to our money rather than behaving like an ethical credit card processor?

One more question for you:

I am a slow learner and have had to learn over and over that:

A promise is not a transaction; cash in hand is a transaction.

If a traveler has made a booking transaction with VRBO, I don't have the cash in the bank, and I get a direct booking request from another guest, why wouldn't I accept the direct booking and cancel the guest who has the "transaction" with VRBO?

mauimakani Contributor

ha-moderator-christi Can you let me know if the "Accept New Payments" modal window appearing on my dashboard will include the new payments program? I don't generally upgrade until I know what I am upgrading to and won't agree to move to new payments plan without "advanced payments". This is a major change for VRBO, I would hope that they would provide good documentation to Owners, prior to having them make a significant change in their business

Here is the modal window, anyone else seeing this? If you click Start upgrade is there actually a choice to not continue if I do not agree to the new terms?

vrbo_payment.jpg

bonesxxx Active Contributor

If you have advanced payments now, "x" it out until you are forced to accept the new platform.

If you have payment on check out, it only delays the inevitable.

I'm going to keep "x"ing it out until I get one that says "you need to migrate or lose your listing with us".

kssop New Member

I'm with you Kiheiretreat!  Interested ... but want to know for certain if I start upgrade, will it include participation in early payout. Not sure if it is best to just hold off until forced to go forward.  Much better to hear that payment is seven days after guest makes payment; that is workable.  I will limit last minute bookings, which I already do.  Anxiously waiting moderator response.     

mauimakani Contributor

All I am looking for is the courtesy to know exactly what I am agreeing to before blindly clicking on a button. Is that too much to ask? If the terms that I am agreeing to are the ones at the URL shared in this thread, then just acknowledge that.

A simple... "We are starting to roll out our payment system.with a small group of Owners by invitation-only basis." would be better than the ongoing speculation. I would like to be able to plan 6-12 months out which is how we generally book.

kiheiretreat Right now early pay is by invitation only for the test, if you haven't already accepted the new payment t&c's and haven't gotten an invitation I would say no you would not be on early pay at this time. I can't speak to future plans at this time.

mauimakani Contributor

Thank you ha-moderator-christi.

I have not received an invitation since I did not accept to upgrade. I wanted clarification that if accepting the terms was the precursor to being invited. So an Owner could choose to "upgrade" as it states in the contract, they are agreeing to terms to be paid after the guest checks in. If one clicks the button to "upgrade" is there the option to not move forward if I do not agree to the terms or is there no going back?

I have no issue with VRBO being the processor, would welcome it, ONLY: if my guest's payments are disbursed as they are currently (advanced) under YapStone.

**Edited to add**

Can you let Owners know what the requirements are to be eligible for advanced payments with the HA Payments system?

scowol Active Contributor

ha-moderator-christi

ha-moderator-christi wrote:

Super Excited to hear you were one of the ones chosen for the test group!!. The notices started going out today to a group of partners that have already excepted the new payment terms and conditions. When migrating over these partners will need to fill out their banking information.

Just to clarify the word you used, do you mean "...already accepted the new payment terms and conditions"? I'm definitely expecting them to hit us at some point in the future, but want to know if I need to accept them?

brie344 New Member

If you read the small print in what they have you agree to before agreeing to the beta rollout it says:

1.12 Payment for Services. In consideration for the Services, You agree to pay us a Fee of 3% of any transaction amounts processed on Your behalf through any payment method offered by us in Offered Currencies other than Australian dollars, New Zealand dollars, and Japanese Yen. Such Fee will become due upon completion of payment processing and regardless of any subsequent cancellation.

I read this to say that if a guest cancels and is due a refund, we would still be on the hook for that 3% fee! This is a complete 180 from how it is handled now, where the Yapstone fees are credited back upon refund, whether it be for a damage deposit refund or full cancellation. I need to see much more clarification on this part of the agreement before agreeing to be part of this Beta rollout. IMHO, my being stuck with this 3% fee from canceled guests could be more expensive than just waiting to be paid upon check in, abhorrent as that is!

green_mango Active Contributor

Yay!  That's so great to hear Early Payouts are a thing (Oh, but hey, same beef with Advanced Payments - technically they're neither "Early" nor "Advanced" - just on time)

martyp Contributor

Actually, they are neither  EARLY payments nor "on time" payments.  For example, I had two bookings:

One was a direct booking on Sunday evening.  My credit card processor had the money in my bank the very next day.

The other booking was through VRBO a few days earlier on Thursday.  HomeAway didn't have the the money in my bank until Tuesday. ... Why???

surgerygalore Contributor

Any Early Payouts, timeliness-considerations aside, in place for owners with properties in IT or FR?

surgerygalore The current test is for US owners, I don't have detail on future plans at this time.

Thanks for the updates ha-moderator-christi

Has the subset of testers been frozen or are new people being asked to migrate going to be allowed into the test?

The information I received was about 20%  of the currently eligible owners were invited today  I would expect that as long as everything continues to go well more will be added. We have not been given any timelines at this time.

kmcbhense Contributor

Are we going to be required to move to Homeaway payments? And if so, when will that deadline be. I have grave reservations about what others have mentioned about guests complaining and getting a refund, and we have to agree to it. Scammers will figure that out quickly for a free vacation.

martyp Contributor

Why would you want to be a Homeaway guinea pig?  HomeWay has a very bad history of bad updates.  One of the most recent examples was when HomeAway decided to mess with the signature photo on MY listing and posted my smallest bathroom as my signature photo on MY listing page.

I am a retired software engineer.  One of my products was software for an air traffic communications system.  If my releases were as bad and as shoddy as HomeAway releases, people would have died.  HomeAway is not dealing with life threatening products, BUT it is dealing with people's money; in my case it is part of my retirement income.

I will "X out" and wait until the final product release.

I've been a guinea pig for several features that Vrbo eventually rolled out to the larger population.  There are advantages to being one of the early beta testers, because the managers are paying close attention to your feedback and that feedback often ends up in the final release.

In this case, the point of my question was exactly what I asked, nothing more or less.  I haven't been asked to do the new payment processing, not 100% sure why, but I'd also have turned it down just because getting paid when the guest pays is important to my business cash flow.  And I've already told several people at corporate directly about how (and how strongly) I felt about it and why.  One of the advantages of being a frequent guinea pig .

All steps in the right direction (yay!).....

...but am I the only one who thinks it's illogical to call it EARLY payout when it's not even transferred until SEVEN days after payment?  With Square (my current payment processor) funds are transferred either SAME day or NEXT day immediately after payment is made.  Step in the right direction, but I just can't wrap my head around calling this EARLY by any stretch of the definition. 

Early payouts are released to your bank account seven days after the traveler completes a payment.

kmcbhense Contributor

Hey Mango! Your definitely not alone...I think its absolutely crazy as well. And it Actually says 7 days to fund after guest payment, then another 5-7 days for your bank processing.

We personally process a lot of Credit Card payments from past guests, and as long as we process before 7 pm, its in our bank account by 8 am the next morning. And that's just thru our local credit union!

Theres definitely a reason behind there slow pay, I just haven't figured out the angle yet.

bonesxxx Active Contributor

I just took part in a competitor’s market research project. I can’t say which one but they pressed me repeatedly on why I offered better rates on VRBO than on all the other platforms I use. My answer every time was “Simple... because they pay me upon booking and not upon check in.“

If VRBO takes that away, my pricing will be made the same on all platforms and VRBO, even If they lose one booking to another platform, will lose more money than they will make holding onto my money.

Yep same here - clears my account when it transfers (same or next day) and not 5-7 business days after the first 7 days - yikes!

moosebigd Active Contributor

As usual, HA/Vrbo has my head spinning!  Through Yapstone, we are currently receiving credit card payments into our account within 3-5 business days. Is this procedure called "early payment"?  Or is it "advanced payment"?  Are these two terms interchangeable?  We have not received an invitation to receive "advanced payment".  Nor did we receive any notification to accept a new platform in our Dashboard.  So where do we stand regarding deposits into our account?  We have three upcoming reservations that are paid in full so we won't know when to expect deposits until we get a new booking.

Also, I don't know if this is related to this thread, but...  We received a noreply email from HA requiring a change in our password.  We did not open it because we thought it might be spam.  Has anyone else recently received a message of this nature?

Advanced payments=Yapstone/VRP payments before check in usually 3-5 days after the guest pays.

Early payments= HA In House Payments before check in "Early payouts are released to your bank account seven days after the traveler completes a payment. The payout should then be available in your bank account within five to seven business days, depending on your bank’s processing time. Currently, early payouts are available by invitation only."

Until you receive notification to update your bank information you are presumably still with Yapstone.

I would call CS about the password email. That does not appear to be related to this thread.

Never click links in emails you aren't comfortable with.  On the other hand, never a bad idea to periodically change your passwords and to get the Chrome Password Checkup extension (Password Checkup extension - Chrome Web Store) to see if your passwords were part of known breaches.  Call CS if you're not sure about any email you get.

As for advanced payment (yes, that's the same as early payment or as green_mango calls it "on time payments"), Yapstone stopped offering that a while back for new customers.  Right around the time Vrbo started to invest in using the Expedia platform to handle Vrbo payments.  Coincidence?  I think not.

If you haven't gotten any kind of dashboard or email notification, you're not in the list of people to get Vrbo payments yet.  Most likely everyone will have it around the end of the year, but for now it's a limited set of users.

dramsey Contributor

As an update, we were accepted for the early payment and the email said we would receive a second email that afternoon (last Thursday) requesting our banking info but we have not received that e-mail. So, I'm assuming this means that things are going slower than they anticipated.

The early payment was for people already on Vrbo payments... did they not already have your bank info for that?  No reason they would need it again.  Sounds like maybe a messaging mistake.

lakensea Contributor

So, I take that to mean that since I am still on alternate payments, that I will not be eligible for the "early pay" in October when and if I renew?

ha-moderator-Christi can you confirm this?

I'm also still Alternative Payments, and can only speculate that upon renewal we will not qualify for "early payments" on the new in-house payment system, because we don't have advance payments from Yapstone.  I'm guessing there will be some criteria that owners "new" to their payments will have to meet in order to qualify for "early payments" - and despite having a listing with all 5 star reviews for 5 years I'm thinking I won't meet the criteria yet - maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised    I'll be following what happens to lakensea in October as my time is up in December.

My understanding is that they want 6 (?) months of bookings through Yapstone (or Vrbo payments) to get early pay.  So if you haven't been using their payment processor, you have no history with them, so you're not going to get the good features.

lakensea Contributor

So, I've been with HomeAway since 2002, never had any issue or complaint, and because I chose not to have to deal with the known Yapstone issues, I get penalized.

I guessing 17 years of not using other platforms (I.E. AB&B) other than my own website does not mean anything?

It means that as a creditor, they aren't trusting owners they haven't extended credit to before now.

Read through https://stripe.com/docs/payouts#payout-schedule to see how Stripe does it to understand that different processors perceive risks -- both country and market risks -- differently.

lakensea Contributor

Hold on a minute - they are not extending us credit - it's our money!  We're lending it to them!

hickmanhideaway Contributor

This is true. But I don't think they know that. It seems they have forgotten why the money comes in. It is because we, their "partners" have the commodity/product/asset. That's why I even dislike the term partners, WE have the product they sell. Without the product they have nothing. But they don't see that.

Nope, that's not at all how credit card merchant processors see it.  And that's ALL merchant processors, not just Yapstone or Vrbo.

I use several other payment processors and none of them withhold the payment for any period of time I receive payment immediately after the payment is made. They do not extend me credit, I pay them for a service.

wildiris Active Contributor

The credit card processors aren't extending credit to the merchants - they are extending credit to the cardholders.

Exactly!
                                                                                                                              Interestingly, I know someone who uses Yapstone as a processor for her direct bookings and she receives payment immediately for those bookings. The delay in payment is only when she is booking through HA/VRBO.

Read their agreements.  You are definitely their creditor.

Here's how they view it: they are collecting money from the customer, sending it to you ahead of you completing the transaction with the customer (in this case, providing the home on the specified dates).  If you clean out your bank account from that money and do not complete the transaction, who is stuck?  The merchant processor.  That's because they are sending you the money before the transaction is completed, so they are loaning you the money hoping the transaction completes... and taking the credit risk to do that.

Yapstone runs credit checks on the owner's social security number provided when an owner opens the account with them.  Why?  To verify your "credit worthiness".  If you have a bunch of problems on your credit report, Yapstone will not be your processor, because they don't want the credit risk.

lakensea Contributor

Being an honest business person, sometime I just don't see that side of the equation.

So, assuming Expedia would be running a credit check on me, upon seeing my excellent credit history, they would have no reason but to extend me credit, as does every company I do business with, including a 6 figure open credit line for my other 30 year old business, and a smaller one for the rental business.

The only flaw I see in the scenario that you lay out is that I believe one of the moderators here admitted to the fact that it is quite rare that they need to pay out to find a guest other accommodations due to an "uncompleted transaction".  I extend credit to most of my customers without a credit check, and occasionally I get stiffed.  That's why there is a GL account on most P & L's called "Bad debt" - unfortunately it's a part of doing business.

I guess I tend to trust just about everyone, and expect the same in return.

feibus I am not doubting your reasoning, and I understand it.  It's just that I've worked very hard all my life to build my credit to the point that I am never turned down.  I have credit cards with higher limits than I collect in rents for our short season.  Talk about unsecured debt!

wildiris Active Contributor

You're right, feibus - vacation rental owners are HomeAway's creditors.  (A creditor is a "person or company to whom money is owed."  A debtor is the person or entity who owes the money.)  Yapstone is merely a payment platform.  Neither HomeAway nor Yapstone extend credit to either the traveler or the vacation rental owner.  They are merely intermediaries.  As I understand how the HomeAway Payments system (which HomeAway is requiring all owners/PM to use) works, when a traveler books a rental and pays with a credit card, the "issuing bank" (the bank who issued the credit card to the traveler) sends the money to HomeAway via the Yapstone  platform.  These funds come from an account at the issuing bank (which has extended credit to the cardholder).  HomeAway literally has this money in a HomeAway account.  These funds are actually due and owed to the vacation rental owner.  So, in this transaction, HomeAway is the debtor and the vacation rental owner is the creditor.  One needs to take a look at how credit card transactions work.  It's complicated and there are a lot of participants.  Here are some good links that explain different aspects of how the credit card processing system works:

https://wallethub.com/edu/cc/credit-card-transaction/25511/

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/everything-you-need-to-know-about-credit-card-issuers/

The reason why HomeAway wants to hold on to the money that it has collected from travelers and owes to owners is the "Book With Confidence Guarantee."  One of the moderators even said this.  Take a look at this section of HomeAway's Terms and Conditions:

24.   Additional Member Representations.

Each member represents and covenants that: it owns and/or has all necessary rights and authority to offer for rent and to rent the property listed by such member; (ii) it will not wrongfully withhold a rental deposit in breach of the underlying rental agreement; (iii) it will accurately describe the subject rental property, will not fail to disclose a material defect in, or material information about, a rental property and will upon request, or otherwise from time to time, review the property listing content and location or geographic description to ensure it is accurate and not misleading ; (iv) it will not wrongfully deny access to the listed property; and (v) it will not fail to provide a refund when due in accordance with the applicable cancellation policy or underlying rental agreement. In addition, if HomeAway, through one of its guarantee or warranty programs and in its sole discretion, compensates a traveler for a loss caused by acts or omissions attributable to a member, HomeAway reserves the right to pursue the member for the amount paid or contributed towards the loss. [Emphasis added.]

HomeAway originally told owners that part of the justification for charging a traveler service fee is the financial obligations it incurs as the result of the "Book With Confidence Guarantee."  Despite this representation to owners, HomeAway doesn't want to use the profits it makes from the traveler service fee to make payments to travelers to honor its guarantee.  Holding owners' funds until after a traveler checks in is a way for HomeAway to "insure" that it gets payment from an owner regarding the "Book With Confidence Guarantee."

lakensea Contributor

OK, comparing HomeAway/VRBO/Expedia policy to my credit card processor for my other business, if I ship an order to you and it takes a week to get to it's destination, I still have the funds the morning after I process your card, not 7 days after you receive the product. 

What would be the difference?

I agree, we, as owners are not being extended credit. My other payment processors pay me immediately. I have been using payment processors for many years for another business and have always receive the funds immediately after the payment was made. It may show as pending in my bank for 24 hrs but it hits my account promptly. All payment processor do not have a delay in payouts.

dramsey Contributor

I'm not sure. This is the part of the email that states what will happen next:

Vrbo and Expedia Group have built an upgraded payment option that is now available to you. Your account will be upgraded later today and once complete, we’ll send you an email and display a feed card in your dashboard asking you to provide your bank details*.

kmcbhense Contributor

Heres my issue with the credit worthiness theory. We own and manage multiple properties. Whenever we add an additional property onto our existing account, they don't give us immediate "on time" payments. We have to wait until a couple of days after guest check in. We've had an account since 2009, so are we waiting whenever theres new properties?

I really think that blows the "credit worthiness theory" out of the water

Good afternoon, We have been following this discussion and taking feedback. When we get additional details we will post. Until then please know you are being heard.

kmcbhense Contributor

Hi Christi, We know that you are trying on your end. I think what really frustrates everyone here is being completely out of the loop with this all. Its all on upper management, as they choose to not disclose to both staff/cs, and there partner owners, there intentions.

It makes all of us think that changes are all for the good of expedia, at our expense.