13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2019 3:59 PM by harrytammie RSS

Help from a Moderator Please addressing a couple questions for me

kmcbhense Contributor

We are working on selling our small vacation rental business. My questions I'd like to direct to the Moderators here for help. I really don't feel that CS staff would be trained to answer accurately

1). Can our vrbo listings be transferred to the new owner/manager, or will they need to start new listings?

2). This is probably the biggest question. Our future reservations that  guests have already made an initial payment, we would be transferring those funds to the new managers. Final payment wise, will the guests still get final payment requests, and how will vrbo collect and reinburse to the new managers?

I think those are my 2 biggies. Guest relations are easy for us to explain to those future renters about the transfer in ownership, etc.

• Re: Help from a Moderator Please addressing a couple questions for me
          wildiris Active Contributor

Here's a thread that contains the answer of Moderator Daniel to your first question about transferring your listing to a new owner:  A new owner will get your hard-earned reviews?!  Per Moderator Daniel, the listing cannot be transferred, but your reviews can be transferred to the new owner.

I don't know the answer to your second question.  Hopefully, a moderator will weigh in.

feibus Senior Contributor

If you can't transfer the listing -- and you cannot -- then the second payment will come to the bank account associated with your listing.  So, that's not going to work.

When I bought mine, the owner transferred the bookings of the guests I wanted and refunded the rest.  I only wanted a couple of them, they were so underpriced from where I wanted our home to be priced.  So we did the deposit transfer via PayPal, the guest got a new rental agreement to sign, and payments were made to me directly after that.

You'll need to work out the details of how the new owner wants to receive any existing reservations, but in general, the booking isn't between the guest and your home, it's between the guest and the owner/manager of the home, so if the owner/manager changes, the booking is going to end up being a contract that cannot be fulfilled by the two parties in the current agreement unless you organized your business as though the booking agent was a separate business that is also being sold as part of the deed transfer.

Best to get a lawyer, right?

kmcbhense Contributor

I was actually thinking that vrbo had different rules between transfers from manager to manager...as opposed to owner to owner. The others have all mentioned about when they bought and how transfers worked.

Hopefully we will get some moderator help in the next day or two for the policies involved here.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

You asked about "owner/manager", so that assumes a transfer of ownership.  Transfer to another booking agent (not just a manager, but someone who has a financial interest in the bookings), that's going to turn out to be the same as a transfer of ownership, because the financial parties are changing for the agreement.

But a transfer of managers who don't control the bookings (and the booking parties don't change), that's just changing emails on who can log into the Vrbo dashboard.

And, yes, CS should be able to handle this question as well and can answer it more fully if you call and explain the situation.  Waiting for a mod shouldn't be necessary, this is something that happens regularly enough.

mauitime103 New Member

That's basically how I inherited guests from former owners when I purchased our place. 

Although the 'sellers" stipulated the buyer would honor the VRBO's guest's bookings and their established rates, VRBO would not honor any transfer as those "rental agreements/contracts" were between the guest and the seller.

VRBO advised the seller to have guests cancel their reservations, full refund, and make a new reservation with buyer, if the guest wanted.  Seller provided buyer's contact information to those guests via other email - so they could either direct book or go through VRBO. 

I, the buyer then provided a new contract (with my terms) to the guest.  Obviously the buyer needs to provide VRBO with bank routing info for the funds to deposited like you did when you started with the listing site.

While the process was messy, the end result was a cleaner start.

You may be faced with the same process.

The seller did keep the guests advised of the events once escrow started.  It wasn't until escrow nearly ended did the exchange of new owner/guest information happen.

On the other hand, the bookings made outside of VRBO were able to be transferred.  I did have the guests sign my agreement between them and me while I honored their old rates.

Good luck with your sale.  Lots to think about.

u0999 Premier Contributor

can you just add your manager as authorized contact to your vrbo account?

When I first read your posting, I assumed that you were a property owner.  Are you a property manager with listings on Vrbo who is selling your property management business?  That's a different scenario than a property owner selling his vacation rental.

ha-moderator-christi HomeAway Employee

Can I transfer my listing to another person?

No listing may be transferred to another party. In the event of a property sale or change in property management, HomeAway will provide guidance on options for creating a new listing. Any existing content (photos, description, etc.) will not be transferred over to any new listing created due to a property changing ownership.

If you are selling your property, please contact Customer Support to assist in deactivating your listing. Please be sure to log in to your account and cancel any scheduled payment requests. If the new owner would like to continue advertising the property, they can purchase a new subscription and create a new account and new listing. We recommend that you work with the new owner to gracefully transition future reservations and message those travelers.

Please note, if you offered Property Damage Protection on your listing and need to make a claim on a past stay, you can file a claim directly with CSA.

CS is well versed in helping to get the new listing set up.

Can I transfer my listing to another person? | Vrbo Help

kmcbhense Contributor

Hi Amanda, You probably read my post incorrectly. I am selling my property management business. I"m not a home owner. Probably assuming that I'll still get the same answer. VRBO wants to make new listing money from the new manager. Can reviews be transferred? And of course you also didn't answer my question on if final payments of future reservations can be transferred? That will probably be no as well.

I've learned along time ago, nothing comes easy with vrbo.

If you're selling the full business, the bank account being a business bank account should be transferred along with the business close (check with your lawyers on this).  Since that's the case, you're not transferring the listing at all unless the listing is in your personal name... if it's in the name of the business, they bought that as well and there's nothing to "transfer" because the business itself is changing hands and the business owns the listing.

So, still missing some info about the transaction itself.

I don't think that anyone has answered your question about how to handle final payments for existing bookings that have not yet taken place.  If you are a property manager who is selling your management business, I think the easiest way to handle these payments is as follows:

1)  When you close on the sale of the business, hide all of your listings so that no new bookings come in;

2) Change the bank account information on your listings so that the funds are deposited directly into the account of the purchaser; or

3) Keep your bank account information and then transfer the funds to the purchaser as you receive them.

The purchase and sale agreement for the business should spell out the manner in which you and the purchaser agree to handle future payments.

harrytammie Contributor

Nothing can be transferred!!!  Personal experience: One gets different answers to the same questions from different reps here. It was a month long nightmare for me caused by incorrect info and bad actions by vrbo.

When I purchased a vaca rental the seller gave me access to her site.

You have to start a new account. You can build your new one with info from old one.

Then notify all reservations YOURSELF from the old booking site of what is going on. Then you or the traveler has to cancel the old reservation and rebook under your new account number. Do not rely on vrbo interns to do any of this because they will screw it up.

You will have to collect any monies allready sent to old owner. It's gonna be a month before you get any money IF you opt into the new fee based system started today. 6%+ to get your own money.

More Like This

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points