1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next 109 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2019 2:02 PM by ohst8er Go to original post RSS
      • 105. Re: Ring door bell
        bigdaddy New Member

I am very up front about the cameras and send an email including a screen shot of their view to the renters. No one has ever complained and the doorbell communication has saved a couple renters who forgot the entry code. I only have them on the side driveway and back parking area. I make sure to point out that there is nothing viewing the hot tub, porch, patio and firepit. I want my guests to feel relaxed and not worry.

The primary reason I like them, is I love being able to make sure our housekeeper has been by, the grass is cut and in the winter, that the snow is plowed. It's a necessary "evil" to provide some security, but very useful and practical, too.

• 106. Re: Ring door bell
          ohst8er Premier Contributor

Agreed.  But there is always more than one side to things.  Here's a few scenarios:

We have a ring doorbell at the front door of our condo.  Hubby gets a notification, there is activity at your villa.  Then he gets another notification, "Joe Smith has accessed your villa," or something like that.. that's our lock system alerting us that Mr. Smith has used his personal code to enter our villa, his first arrival.  I text Mr. Smith, welcome to the island, hope you enjoy your stay, be sure to display your parking passes, let us know if you need anything!"  Mr. Smith says thanks, the place looks lovely! 

or

Same scenario, but then we get a message that lets us know that someone has entered their code incorrectly.  My Hubby checks Ring, sees them fumbling, hears hubby and wife discussing the issue, what do they do?  It's late, they are tired.   My Hubby says hello, introduces himself, do you need assistance?  And helps them gain access. 

And then...housekeeper fires us.  Huh what?  Why?  This was a few years ago, it was a new company we had just joined with.  We emailed her about an issue guest mentioned.  How do we make sure it does not happen again?  Her reply, "How do we do so?  By us no longer cleaning your condo, that's how.  Our cleaning crew says you spy on them."   Say again??

Here's how that played out.  Several occasions, we get the tone from ring, someone is at your villa.  Hubby waits to see who is attempting to gain access, nothing.  He looks at Ring, they are trying to open the lock box mounted on the side of the door, the one we keep the physical key in.  He talks to them thru the ring doorbell, walks them thru how to open door via the keyless access pad.    And apparently... they report back that the owners are spying on them.   

• 107. Re: Ring door bell
            bigdaddy New Member

Lol... I can see how that could misconstrued. But, I think as they become more commonplace, people will feel less threatened.

I've had mine for five years, but in the first year or so, I used to suggest people tape a piece of paper over the camera if they felt more comfortable. Only a few people bothered to do that (out of 70), so I decided to just let people know they were there and send a screen shot of their view. For the piece of mind they give me, they are well worth having. Being three hours away, I feel they are invaluable and save me a great deal of anxiety and unnecessary phone calls. If I know someone is staying there, I never look at the videos, but if it's empty and I get an alert, I'll definitely look.

• 108. Re: Ring door bell
              sage Senior Contributor

Same scenario, but then we get a message that lets us know that someone has entered their code incorrectly.  My Hubby checks Ring, sees them fumbling, hears hubby and wife discussing the issue, what do they do?  It's late, they are tired.   My Hubby says hello, introduces himself, do you need assistance?  And helps them gain access.

In addition to federal law there are some states that have laws allowing eavesdropping when only one party to a conversation is aware it is being electronically intercepted. Some states require that all parties to a conversation be aware that it is being intercepted.

In this instance we have guest "hubby and wife discussing the issue" and owner Hubby hears them via the electronic eavesdropping device incorporated in the Ring doorbell. Unless guests consented to the interception of their communication, we have a situation in which no party to that conversation gave prior consent, In addition to possible crimes under state law, Hubby might be found guilty of a felony punishable by up to 5 years imprisonment under 18 U.S.C. §2511. Good intentions may be mitigating factors, but are not a defense. The pertinent language from the federal statute is excerpted below. See https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2511.

(1) Except as otherwise specifically provided in this chapter any person who—

(a) intentionally intercepts [or] endeavors to intercept . . . any . . . oral . . . communication;

. . .

shall be punished as provided in subsection (4) or shall be subject to suit as provided in subsection (5).

. . .

(2) (d) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for a person not acting under color of law to intercept a . . . oral . . . communication where such person is a party to the communication or where one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception

. . .

(4) (a) . . . whoever violates subsection (1) of this section shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

• 109. Re: Ring door bell
                ohst8er Premier Contributor

I doubt the guest was thinking "omg they eavesdrop," more like, oh thank goodness, we are thousands of miles from home, it's late, we are tired, and I'm so glad he helped us.    I suppose we should have just let them struggle?   I'm not the least bit concerned about this. 

1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next