21 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2019 11:11 AM by hmmmm RSS

Download our cleaning checklist

amanda_ha HomeAway Employee

Traveler-Arrival_hero.png

We've created a cleaning checklist that you can easily download to help make cleaning up after guests a breeze!

Use this list for yourself or provide copies to your cleaning vendor(s).

Download the PDF here

If you don't use a checklist, what other methods do you or your cleaning crew use to ensure nothing is missed?

• Re: Download our cleaning checklist
          feibus Senior Contributor

Now if we could only download a reliable cleaning crew....

u0999 Premier Contributor

checklists are only as useful as a cleaning company that follows them.. they don't. I had to hire additional handyman/overseer to change my HVAC filters, bulbs , billiard cue tips etc because cleaners won't do it although it is part of contracted service.

My onsite managers handle all that as well, leaving the cleaning to the cleaners.

wildiris Active Contributor

Not all vacation rental owners have properties in developments with onsite managers.  My guess is that most of us do not.

You misunderstand.  I hired my on-site managers, they're on-site only because they have about 50 homes in the same resort that they manage for owners... so they're around most of the time.  They have responsibility for everything related to a reservation from the point the guest arrives until they depart; I hire them to do that for me so that I don't have to stress over that.

wildiris Active Contributor

I understood that you hired your onsite managers.  You are fortunate to have vacation rental properties in a resort/development that has lots of other vacation rental properties in close proximity.  The point that I was trying to make is that many (or perhaps most) owners' properties are not similarly situated.  Time is money, as they say.  Your onsite property managers can provide these types of services at (presumably) a reasonable rate or as part of their management fee precisely because they manage 50 properties in the same resort/development.  It probably only takes them about 5 minutes to travel from one property to another.  In my area, property managers have to drive 30 minutes or more, on average, between the rentals that they manage.  The time (and expense) involved for a property manager to drive half an hour to get to a rental to check to see if any lightbulbs (for example) need replacing is prohibitive.  Also, the vast majority of rentals in my area rent by the week and have change-overs on Saturdays.  The property managers don't have large enough staffs to be able to accomplish such a task at all their rentals in the 6 hours that the rentals are empty between guests.  In my area, this is something that the cleaner must do if it's going to be done at all.   

scowol Active Contributor

...and if only I could find a reliable cleaner to actually use my checklist.

treeguy Contributor

A good definitive list that mirrors my own.

feibus  Such truth!!

ohst8er Premier Contributor

This list is great if you do your own cleaning.  If you hire a cleaning crew, they tell YOU what they do and don't do, and it's up to you to decide if that's comprehensive or not for you.   We have a screen porch at our condo.  I've yet to meet a cleaning crew that will clean the screen porch or anything in the screen porch.  It is considered outdoor space and they don't step outdoors.  I think most cleaning companies would consider this list for a "deep clean," something you would pay extra for, and would hire them to do on an off day. 

margaret CommunityAmbassador

This is one of the reasons I use a private housekeeper rather than a cleaning service. I learned early on that the cleaning services have certain thing they will and will not do in a VR. One of the things cleaning services in my areas will not handle is cleaning my screened porch. I pay my housekeeper extra to clean the porch and do a few other things that cleaning services refuse to handle. I also a handyman to deal with some of the thing the housekeeper can't or won't do. 

hmmmm Senior Contributor

Private all the way, and I have a longer turn around time in the summer.  A few vacationers grumble, but I have learned over the 30 years, that haste makes waste and not a very clean rental.  Cleaning companies, usually do not do a though job as they want to get going to the next job.

linky17 Active Contributor

… and this post is good by exposing all sorts of perspectives, and for the benefit of all levels of 'entry' for Owners. 

hmmmm Senior Contributor

Thanks Amanda

susaninrehoboth Premier Contributor

Is there a cleaner parallel universe? There is no place, at least in America, where a cleaner will do all these items. We have a 4 hour window between guests in summer. Condo is 930 sq. ft. plus balcony. Even with hubby and I doing some of the harder tasks, there is not enough time between cleanings.

If and that's a mighty big if, a group or company was found to properly do each task on list, cost of cleaners would be hundreds of dollars for my small condo.

Edit: No rental or hotel where we've stayed has ever has all these items done, as far as I know. I don't do a white glove inspection.

scowol Active Contributor

susaninrehoboth  I think it's safe to say that this list is all possible items that can/should be done to clean a VR.  Certainly, there are a few items that a cleaner won't do. However, the HA team would surely then be chastised on here for omitting any task, and accused of not knowing anything about a rental.  This list is the gold standard.  So my view on this list is to take it with a grain of salt, and use what is reasonable, and strike what isn't. 

Broken down like this into tasks, it indeed looks like a long laundry list (no pun intended).  However, all together in the course of cleaning each room, my cleaners do just about everything on the list in each category.  For example, my cleaner is probably not consciously walking around looking for bugs as a task per se ("Check for pest control service needs") but she will undoubtedly notice a line of ants through the normal course of cleaning and alert me.  A few others are niceties, such as tossing old magazines and maybe the floor underneath the sofa is not vacuumed every time, or as thorough as I would by pulling it out.   But for the most part, my cleaners do all these items. So I didn't see much that was a white glove inspection.

kmcbhense Contributor

Thanks Amanda, Its an excellent list and I appreciate your efforts with posting it