8 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2019 2:55 PM by u0999 RSS

New Rates Editor - Is there a setting for an Optional Fee?

scowol Active Contributor

Hi All,

I have two HA/VRBO properties and one was just converted to the new rates editor and the other is still on the old (not the point of the post). Anyhow, I see that we can now add a fee that is either per stay or per night--great!  I was hoping that this was finally the solution I'd been begging HA to address my guests who do or don't want the pool heated.  However, if I understand it correctly, it appears that the Custom Fees are all automatically added to all inquiries and booking requests.

I'm hoping for an optional fee that guests can self-select.  For example, currently for a property that accepts pets, HA provides a radio button that the traveler can click on to answer YES or NO if they have a pet.  If they have a pet, the fee is added to the quote.  So I was hopeful that, similarly, there would be a feature that would allow us to specify if the fee is mandatory or optional.  If so, I would finally be able to accept booking request as-is instead of adjusting the quote 50% of the time.

Is anyone who uses the new rates editor aware of such a feature?  If not, I'll take the advice of others and use the feedback button again....

new fees.JPG

• Re: New Rates Editor - Is there a setting for an Optional Fee?
          Senior Contributor

I, too, would love to see this added; like a shopping cart feature - traveler selects number of nights, pool heat, grill; then system tallies up everything the traveler selected and adds taxes.

martyp Contributor

I have been clicking on the "Feedback" button and requesting optional fees AND an additional line item for "Hotel Tax".

Another item I have requested is a Host defined labeling rather than a menu-selection.  When a guest wanted to extend a reservation and I needed to add another day's rent, the menu-selection did not include "additional day".  The only thing that came remotely close was "Administration" and it was reported as non-taxable.

I would like to think that HomeAway listens.  Start clicking on the "Feedback" button and request these features.  Maybe an increase of requests will get it done.  Include what you see from other people in this group to help get HomeAway moving.

feibus Senior Contributor

I would never need it, but love the idea.

shamen74 New Member

Optional fees would be great... as well as something that is rule based.  If stay < 7 nights, add cleaning fee (mandatory) and cocierge fee (mandatory).  We like to throw in these services on the longer stays, but also like for our listing to be available for the shorter stays... to do that the turnover fees cost us more.   It's not thousands of dollars but it does add up and makes us want to up the minimum nights permanently

ohst8er Premier Contributor

shamen74, I don't have concierge fees, but like everyone else, I DO have cleaning fees.   I used to do a 4 night minimum stay and baked the cleaning fee into the rate.  When I would get the occasional 3 night request I'd just tell them it was cost prohibitive to rent for 3 nights. 

After awhile I thought about this, and decided that I would charge for the cleaning fee for less than 7 nights, but would considered it added into the rate for 7+ nights.   Except it was a nightmare to manage because I was having to try to remember to remove the cleaning fee everytime someone booked 7+ nights.

I finally just bit the bullet and started charging EVERYONE $150 cleaning fee regardless of whether they stayed 3 nights or 33 nights.  And guess what?  It has not hurt my bookings at all.  Something to consider. 

And yes, I agree with you, there should be an option for an "other" fee.  Several people have requested it, and have been doing so for quite some time. 

feibus Senior Contributor

I used to do the same thing -- waive cleaning fees for stays of 7+ nights -- and then Vrbo introduced the whole "book now" feature that made it easier for guests to just book instead of going around a few times with inquiries and quotes... and people were booking and not getting the discount, so I found it easier to just blow off the discount.

And now I pocket an additional $4K in revenue each year just in additional cleaning revenue.  Nothing wrong with that.  And no lost business because I stopped offering discounts.

u0999 Premier Contributor

we have been asking for it since as far as I can remember.. since 2015 probably?

ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

I have been asking for years to see an additional checkbox fee in addition to the one for Pet or No Pet.  Many homeowners have other fees that come into play based on the guest or the season.  For me, it is a hot tub fee during the winter.  When people pay for the hot tub, they remember to put the cover back on, and my electric bill does not go through the roof.  Currently I have to add this fee as an additional payment request.   With optional amenity checkboxes, instant booking would be more palatable for both owner and guest.