15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2019 7:49 PM by planthealth RSS

Merits of sticking with a Sat to Sat busy summer season  (7 night Minimum)

hmmmm Senior Contributor

Traditionally in our area, coastal, west coast, we book weekly from Saturday to Saturday in the summer for June, July and August.
      I have done so for 30 years in the summer as well.

I would welcome some feed back on opening up to a non Sat to Sat but sticking to a 7 night minimum.

We do fill our summer season weeks almost each year (30 years, of them) each summer.

So why fix what is not broken, you may ask.  Just curiosity...

• Re: Merits of sticking with a Sat to Sat busy summer season  (7 night Minimum)
          kiheiretreat Contributor

If you do open it up, how will you fill the empty nights if you stick with the 7 night minimums? Even Leaving 1-2 days un-booked could become too much to absorb if it happens more than once or twice in your summer season. Anything higher, you could potentially be leaving a good amount of money on the table. If summer season is your high season, I would keep maximizing your booked nights. As you said, why fix what is not broken.

While the simplicity of having a single day for guest turnover is convenient, it is just not feasible in many markets. So if you are filling your summer season weeks and you are satisfied with Sat to Sat then I would keep doing the same unless you see your market requirements change.

• Re: Merits of sticking with a Sat to Sat busy summer season  (7 night Minimum)
            feibus Senior Contributor

If it's working, I wouldn't change it.

If it's not working, I'd nibble around the edges of the period first, to see if you can get those booked easier without a structured calendar.  Definitely wouldn't just straight-up abandon it until the market told me I needed to.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

hmmmm, we are Saturday-Saturday also.  Saturdays are horrendous in peak season for grocery shopping.  Think "storm of the century is coming" type shopping.   I've resorted to ordering my groceries online and doing the pickup option.      When we stay at our timeshare I prefer the Friday-Friday option, much less traffic in and out. 

I've toyed with the idea of changing to a Sunday to Sunday.  Some of my competitors do it, but I think alot of people like getting home on Saturday and having a day to chill before they get back to work.  AND, our housekeeper does not work on Sunday, so there's that.

If you decide to change I would change EVERY week to the same day, for instance do a Friday to Friday checkin, or a Sunday to Sunday.  Don't allow people to choose at whim, for the reasons kiheiretreat mentioned.   

What are your competitors doing? 

twomoreyears Senior Contributor

We used to have a 7-night stay but didn't require a particular check-in/check-out day.  A couple of high seasons ago, we ended up with lots and lots of those pesky "gaps" in our schedule. We lost an entire week in one month of high season to those 2-3 day gaps.  And very few people fly to our island for just 2-3 nights.

So I switched over to a Sat-Sat requirement.  I believe we're the only property in our market that requires this. For the last three years, we've been booked solid during high season (except for one week still left in about two months from now).  There's no way I could raise our rates enough to make up for the gaps if I went away from the Sat-Sat requirement.

It's also great for me and our staff.  Everyone knows when guests arrive and when they leave. I can keep track of their arrival on Saturday and check in with them on Sunday (much harder during the week as I have a pretty demanding day job)

And if the week in two months from now does not book, it's long enough that my DH and I can pop there for a week and get a little sun and do some mid-season maintenance.

Unless you think there is a demand for non-Sat/Sat stays, I wouldn't bother.  And I agree with ohst8er - if you change, make it another day of the week as a requirement or you could really lose out.

greggt Senior Contributor

We are Saturday to Saturday also, as is the majority of our market on the beach. A couple years ago we thought about changing to Sunday to Sunday just to try to stay out of the crazyness that that turnover day brings. We decided to stick with it and still use it today.

It was tough when HA would not support the 7 day turnovers and really lacked the understanding of why it was important to many of us in resort locations. When there was no penalties for not accepting it was not such a big deal, you just explained all booking during peak season had to be 7 day minimums, Saturday to Saturday. When HA started gigging us, it got dicey and really frustrating dealing with the lack of understanding about this important requirement.

timthek Active Contributor

We are saturday to saturday. There are a handful of listings that go Friday-Friday or Sunday to Sunday. Some people LOVE it. They avoid all the heavy traffic on the roads and in the stores. Friday changeovers are popular because some people like getting two full weekend nights without the early morning checkout.

I know in the Outer Banks of NC there are a lot of Sunday rentals and we ALWAYS have taken that option to avoid the HEAVY Saturday traffic.

I have too many repeat renters to think about changing, but if a few of them asked I would consider it.

familyfirst Contributor

First year, we allowed renters to come whenever they wanted...we are a fly to destination, of course they picked the cheapest days to fly, usually in the middle of the week but groups with kids could only come on Friday, Sat or Sunday..I ended up with about $10 K of unused days EACH month. The next year I switched to Saturday to Saturday, I am solidly booked up and will never go back. People will switch their flights or add an extra night to the front or back of their vacation.

My staff has a regular schedule, no surprises AND all have second jobs and they prioritize my homes. When I had different arrival and departure days, my staff would rotate and sometimes I would have issues with new cleaners not doing a good job. Stick with your success and for those who might want to do it, do it. Don't be afraid.

timthek Active Contributor

The search limitations of the booking sites should definitely be a concern if you rely on them for a significant portion of bookings. I know some of the local sites, at least in the OBX where we often vacation, make features available for searching weekend days. If guests in your area assume that everyone is Saturday check ins and they enter Saturday dates, you may get missed if you are a friday rental. I've seen sites that allow you to choose +1/-1 days or that let you check off friday/saturday/sunday to check all three around the requested dates....but I don't think VRBO or ABB have that kind of flexibility.