24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2019 1:52 PM by hmmmm RSS

HomeAway Survey

calicalling Active Contributor

Just curious to know if anyone had the patience to make it through that entire survey? I tried to take it twice and gave up both times.

• Re: HomeAway Survey
          feibus CommunityAmbassador

I did and about had a stroke over the questions.

wildiris Active Contributor

The survey was sent to owners who are part of HomeAway Voices.  Supposedly there are around 9,000 property owners or managers who are part of the HomeAway Voices group.  The survey asked about what items owners stock in their rentals for guests to use.  It also asked if HomeAway gave owners a checklist of what travelers expect to be provided in a vacation rental, how willing would you be to provide travelers with a list of those items you already have stocked.  HomeAway's suggested list of "property essentials" was: dish soap, paper towels, dishwasher detergent, dish scrub brush, fresh sponge, ziploc bags, aluminum foil, salt and pepper, coffee, sugar, seasonings/spices, butter/margarine, cooking oil, condiments, toilet paper, hand soap, toothpaste, shampoo, condition, body wash/soap, laundry detergent, all surface cleaner, first aid/Band-aids, matches/lighter, charcoal/propane, and facial tissue.

I don't have a problem with HomeAway wanting owners to let guests know what items they provide with their rentals.  I already give guests a list of items provided in my vacation rental.  I WOULD have a problem if HomeAway expects owners to provide all of these items for their guests.

feibus CommunityAmbassador

I got a different survey .  That one wouldn't have given me a stroke.

grant570 Active Contributor

yeah, my survey had nothing about what is in my rental...it was all about listing platform options in terms of commission rates, insta book or 24hr wait, cancel period lengths, traveler fee % and other things you find on various listing sites....pretty much didn't like any of the countless options, so I assume they are going to change things again in a way most of us will not like....

ohst8er Senior Contributor

oh lord, should we stay and cook for them, too??  .  Here's my list:

dish soap, paper towels, dishwasher detergent, dish scrub brush, fresh sponge, ziploc bags, aluminum foil, salt and pepper, coffee, sugar, seasonings/spices, butter/margarine, cooking oil, condiments, toilet paper, hand soap, toothpaste, shampoo, condition, body wash/soap, laundry detergent, all surface cleaner, first aid/Band-aids, matches/lighter, charcoal/propane, and facial tissue.

rinaldomoon Senior Contributor

Once again HomeAway is taking the "one-size-fits-all" American way of thinking and assuming.

While some properties in France (myself included) do provide many of the things listed above, there are many in France that provide nothing. Some do not even provide sheets and towels!

Now before anyone makes judgement, I would like to point out that the concept of "vacation rental" goes way back in France. I may be wrong but it may even have been "invented" here.

The french use the word "gîte" (pronounced "jeet" like jeep in English) which traditionally meant an extra room/space/building at rural farmhouse that people could rent. All you do/did was pay the farmer (who could earn a little extra cash) who would give you a key but you had/have to bring your own sheets etc.

It was a "cheap" way to take a holiday.

Like I said, much has changed but the traditional/original "gîtes" still exists! And there is nothing wrong with them. They are inexpensive and there is a market for them.

Most French who book with us almost always ask "do we bring our own sheets?"

HA should not go down a path to "discriminate" against such properties.

hmmmm Senior Contributor

And as I was taught years ago, nothing should be left for food items due to possible contamination.

My house keepers throw out the ice cubes.

green_mango Active Contributor

If it was the survey about 10 million different commission-sub-servicefee-cancellationpolicy-insurance variables, I got that today and happily passed along my thoughts that a majority of the options were not even close to being acceptable.  I don't recall seeing a single option for no refunds - longest was 30 day cancellation & most were shorter.  Not to mention the commission or traveler service fee variations.  Oh boy - we shall see what's ahead, but this seems like a *very* important survey to take. 

susaninrehoboth Premier Contributor

I didn't get either survey. Were there qualifiers for any of the items? For whole house rentals, some things such as butter or margarine are just yucky to leave if started. Unless individual sealed packets of sugar are left, I'd be concerned as to previous use.  Asking cleaner or PM to supply refrigerated items isn't practical, especially in hot weather areas. We stayed in rental that had started jars of mayo, mustard, etc. We didn't know if cleaner forgot to clean inside fridge, owner left items for their use at a later date or we could use items. Whatever the reason, it was unpleasant, to put it mildly. How wants to dip into a started jar of mayo?

susaninrehoboth  yea, don't get me started.  I have a kid who likes to eat from the peanut butter jar.  Since I've been unsuccessful in breaking this bad habit I've just assigned her her own personal jar.  I have no interest in eating from my own KID's PB jar, and I know where she lives and where she's been.  There's just NO WAY I would want to eat from an opened jar of PB, or anything, that a stranger left.   

Our housekeeper has a policy, no food left behind.  If it's opened, it's garbage.  If it's sealed, the cleaners can make their own decision if they want to take it home.  I'm totally on board with this. 

oceangrover Contributor

I'm with you guys.  Opened condiments are a complete turnoff.  (And who would leave a perishable like butter?)  I know this is a matter of personal preference, but if I found used condiments in the fridge, instead of a completely clean and empty fridge, it wouldn't feel like a luxury rental.

I leave a few spices (esp Montreal Steak as I assume most folks want to cook out in the summer and we provide a grill), salt and pepper and that's about it for food.

We don't provide toothpaste, but we do provide all paper goods,laundry detergent and other things on the suggested list.  I would not normally provide shampoo and conditioner but I do place two big pump bottles of shampoo and conditioner, as well as one with body wash, in the outdoor shower--and none in either of the indoor showers--to encourage use of the outdoor shower.

wildiris Active Contributor

For me, it depends on the item.  I use ketchup and mustard in bottles at restaurants all the time - they aren't giving me a new, unopened bottle each time.  I've also been in high-end restaurants that present sugar cubes in a sugar dish brought to the table (instead of in paper packets).  A vacation rental providing certain condiments, sugar, cooking oil, etc. is nice.  I hate to have to buy an entire bottle of ketchup when I'm only going to use it for one meal during my stay.

I got NO survey, but I would assume there's one on it's way at some point. 

grant570 Active Contributor

FYI, I leave a fishing rod and some bait with a note saying free food in Lake....

u0999 Premier Contributor

Is that same survey where VRBo was asking in every which way how they can increase the total "take" to 24%? I did not get one but saw discussion in groups. I would answer with one and same sentence to questions of that kind: "learn from Tripadvisor that 20% of 0 bookings is still a 0".

jackaroo New Member

The survey had 11 pages of 8 or so options to choose on each page. Different platforms offered ranged from VRBO; Hotels.com; Tripadvisor; Homeaway, etc. The question posed was in the realm of "which option would you choose?" The options included no cancellation to 30-day cancellation; pay out at booking or pay out after guest checks in; 0 in subscription fees - $699 subscription fee; 6% guest booking fee to 15% guest booking fee; 0% merchant fees to 3% merchant fees, etc ... so it offered lots of scenarios, but nothing of them palatable to me. 30-day cancellation and pay-out after guest checks in are the real deal breakers for me.

familyfirst Contributor

Me too. I will remove myself from VRBO/Homeaway if they try to mandate me do a 30-day cancellation and only pay-out after guests check in. I am a fly-to destination with a large home. My strict cancellation-no refunds has only given me maybe 5 cancellations in over 6 years. People book out my home over a year or more ahead of their time with us. I will never go on those sites that they were listing....we are not hotels. If they do this, they will lost homes, $$$$ of money too. They make $499 each time a guest books with me and they do nothing.

kmccor Contributor

I got a survey that was very short. It was asking about property performance information. The questions were if I liked and would use certain performance information, such as comparisons of my rates to those in the competitive set, and tracking my numbers of days occupied and payouts received to my goals.