14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2019 7:34 PM by customheat RSS

Please Help! We Received a 1 Star Vindictive Review!

customheat New Member

Can someone look at our listing photos and then read all of our reviews and give us their opinion on this?

We have undertaken considerable time and expense in upgrading our home and property in order to provide an incredible experience for our guests. It is unfortunate to see a review like this and the impact it can have. As a potential guest we ask you to read all of our reviews for common and recurring issues that you read in this review. Please don't let one bad apple stand out among the good ones. This home is capable of sleeping 10 guests. Up to 2 children under 10 years of age are welcome at no extra charge. At the time this guest booked the base price was for 6 guests and extra charge per night per guest. The person that booked paid for 8 guests. Unfortunately 8 adults and 4 children arrived. The guest and VRBO was sent photos of the check out condition and VRBO agreed that we had a valid claim. 1. The guest asked for ant spray a day after checking in. Upon check out there was a substantial amount of food on the floor throughout the home. 2. The hot tub cover was left on the ground, instead of using the cover caddy to lift and properly remove it. The guests were politely asked to use the cover caddy so the cover does not get damaged. We did give the guests an orientation and instructions@ on how to use everything in the home and provided a home operations manual to refer back to. 3. This is a 29 acre ranch and we live on the property also. We do our best to stay out of sight but cannot help not to be seen on occasion. We feel our guest's privacy is paramount. There was only interaction with the guests three times during their stay-Check in, bringing ant spray, and hot tub cover. 4. We are pretty easy going and understanding and we do not ask guests to clean the home prior to check out, but we do expect guests not to trash and damage our home. There is no nice way to say this but the pictures are worth a thousand words. 5. The guest was not charged for the majority of damage and was not charged for a damaged piano. The guest was charged an extra cleaning fee due to extreme cleaning required throughout home. The cooktop, floor, and counter were covered in grease and hardened grime that had to be scrapped off with a metal scraper. Windows were smeared with food. Food and ants on the floor, carpets, and sofas throughout the home. Grease was poured down the drain of the vegetable sink. Piano is scratched and marred. It appeared that children were climbing on it. Hand prints, gouges and scrapes on walls. We had to patch and paint entire walls.  One large towel was missing, and one face towel permanently damaged with makeup and lipstick-We provide white towels for this purpose. Permanent carpet stains from a bleaching substance in addition to makeup, lipstick, and other marks. Also stains on sofa, and dining room chairs. Duvet cover permanently stained. Up to two children under 10 are allowed to stay free. There were 8 adults and 4 children under the age of 10. The guest only paid for 8 guests. At the time this guest booked there was a base price for 6 guests and a charge per guest up to 10. After allowing the guests to 2 extra hours to check out, They stayed an extra 30 minutes beyond that. In addition: Doors and windows were left open and front entry door was unlocked. Pots, pans, from the kitchen and other furnishings and items were placed hidden away in other parts of the home. There was an obnoxious odor throughout home and it took us a week to get  rid of it. We are very disappointed of the condition our home was left in. We have photos and exterior video surveillance to back up these claims.  

• Re: Please Help! We Received a 1 Star Vindictive Review!
          feibus Senior Contributor

Is this the response to the bad review that you posted?  Unclear.

twobitrentals CommunityAmbassador

You have to put your listing number in for us to look or were you asking community manager, Erinn to respond?

customheat New Member

So sorry. The listing number is 1201611. This is a rough draft response. I would like help writing a proper response.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying the above is your REPLY?  I absolutely WOULD NOT post that in response to ANY review.  I would very simply address the few concerns, and my first concern is, DO YOU have a problem with fire ants in the interior of your home?  If so, I would absolutely make sure that is addressed, in real life.  I've lived in areas were fire ants are common, but have NEVER EVER had them in my home, and would not be ok with staying at a rental and finding fire ants inside the premise.  They are very aggressive and nasty, as you know, and the swarming and biting is brutal. 

All that said, I would very politely explain TO YOUR FUTURE GUESTS, how you either already do treat for ants, or that you have since treated for ants, etc.

I'll personally cir cle back here when I have more time, though I'm sure others will chime in as well.   For me personally the fire ants stopped me cold and if I were a future renter I'd need you to help get me past that, first and foremost.

feibus Senior Contributor

^^^ THIS ^^^

Keep it short, simple, focused on convincing a future guest that any of the guest's complaints have been addressed.  THANK the crazy guest for their helpful feedback!  Sound like you are concerned that they didn't have a wonderful experience.

Owners really need to act like they love their guests even if they hated that one specific guest.

ohst8er Premier Contributor

HI customheat, first of all, sorry to hear you are dealing with this, it sounds like a nightmare!  This forum is designed specifically for owners to help other owners.  Unfortunately based on the info you have provided us all we can do is commiserate with you.    If you want us to help you formulate a reply to your 1 star review, either post the review here, or provide your listing number so we can look at it directly.

Unfortunately, despite all that has happened to you a guest is welcome to leave any review they want, so long as it meets certain VRBO standards (no foul language, etc).  If it made it past the moderators it's a done deal on your listing.  Your only recourse is to frame your response to said review in a manner that is "forward focused" to your future guest, not angrily reprimanding this guest, regardless of how much you may feel you are warranted to do so.

I've said on this forum many times but it's always worth repeating... your future guests care way LESS about your 1 star review, and way MORE about how you respond to it, that you are proactive in correcting any issues, etc.

Our crack team of owners stand ready and waiting to help you formulate your response, should you need any assistance.  It's a nice little complimentary service we are happy to provide, something many on here file under the heading of "been there." 

customheat New Member

So sorry. The listing number is 1201611. This is a rough draft response. I would like help writing a proper response.

bobbie32 Premier Contributor

The damage has already been done.  Thus, I would chalk it up as learning experience and move on.  I would not do a lengthy response as it draws attention to the review.  But I would do everything in my power to assure that the fit is right during the screening process.  We also live on over 100 acres where our guesthouse is located and have been in this business for over 20 years.  Once we have talked with the potential guest, we make the decision to continue with the booking or not.  If we do not feel the fit is good, we advise them and tell them that it is best that they find another place to stay. We do not care about being "dinged”.  We do care about meeting expectations and if we feel we cannot do that, we feel it is best to cancel the booking. 

I would recommend that you bury this review as soon as possible and do not draw attention to it.  I would just say...."Sorry that we did not meet your expectations.  We do our best to meet expectations, but our house is definitely not for everyone.  Most of our previous guests have loved what we offer, as you can see from all of our 5-star reviews." 

heartinthesmokies Contributor

Your home is beautiful.  Instead of children under 10 are free and think I would reverse that and charge more.   

Your rough draft is too wordy and long.  Potential guests may just move on.  I would respond to only the major problems and what you will do to correct them. You are not writing this review to them but to your potential guests.

***  Vrbo will move the review down in the list if you call and ask them.

db.meyer Senior Contributor

I would keep my reply short, something along the lines of:

"Unfortunately, due to damage that occurred during this guest's stay, we had to retain some of their security deposit to make the necessary repairs.  Please read all of our 5* reviews to get an accurate sense of their positive stays in our home."

peg'schoice Contributor

Advise --- get a bunch more of 5 star reviews as possible to "bury" this bad review.  That's what I did  on one of my properties a year ago.  I made it go-away, non-visible with good reviews. 

customheat New Member

I want to thank everyone for their support and feedback!