4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2019 1:19 PM by green_mango RSS

Insurance for occasional rental

agr1 New Member

We rent 15 - 20 night a year in a mother-in-law suite attached to our home.  We are always home when we have guests.  I can't find reasonably priced insurance coverage - it all seems to be built for much heavier use than we have.  We love hosting folks but don't feel that we can continue to do so without adequate insurance.  I have talked to Proper but their quote was almost what we grossed in rental income last year.  In fact, their agent I spoke with told me if he were me, he wouldn't do it, that it's not worth the risk.  Has anyone found a solution to this kind of problem?

• Re: Insurance for occasional rental
          homeaway_community_manager HomeAway Employee

Hi agr1,

Welcome to the HomeAway Community!  While not specifically a business partner of HomeAway, we've heard good things about Slice.  Based on your needs it may be the perfect solution for you!  https://slice.is/homeshare/ Thanks!

Erinn

HomeAway Community Manager

green_mango Active Contributor

I 2nd Erinn's suggestion for Slice Insurance - I've used it for our home that we only rent on a very limited basis.  I haven't had to make a claim, so can't vouch for that, but the online setup is easy (you do need a listing of some sort though - find a free listing site if it's not listing you have on VRBO etc... and Slice can add it under "other" - that's what I did for our non-VRBO listed place).  Their customer service was really helpful with the initial setup. 

agr1 New Member

Thank you both for your suggestions.  I had looked at Slice but I am in PA and they readily say they are not licensed to operate in PA.  They are willing to sell me their insurance however which is a little odd.  I was really hoping someone knew of a recognized, old-line insurance company that was willing to write policies to cover this type of use.  It's hard to believe none of the big players want a piece of this growing market.