5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2019 1:08 PM by 1500main RSS

Is it true that owners can no longer request a review from guests?

droptop Contributor

A guest checked out on December 30.  I always use the 'request a review' button to send them a personal note after I direct VRBO to refund their security deposit.  If I recall, the button was to the right of the Post Stay heading on their file in the Inbox.  The personal note I send requests that they 'share an experience' of their trip that made it memorable, that perhaps caused them to exclaim, "This is why we came to Maui!"

I didn't find that button this morning.

I called Customer Service.  They advised that once VRBO sends out their request-for-review form the owner can't request a review.  I was told this change has occurred because owners were using the dashboard-based request-for-review action to send same to friends and family members, not guests.

So my understanding is that I can no longer send a request-for-review request myself.  Only VRBO can do that.

Is this correct?

• Re: Is it true that owners can no longer request a review from guests?
          ashevillelookout Senior Contributor

If the button is gone, use your templates.  I created a personal "request for review" from the default review template that I found in the template list.  That way, I can generate and edit the review request based on what I know about the guest.  I also make sure that the template includes the message "written and sent by [the owner] so that the guest knows that the message requesting a review is from me personally, and is not an automated impersonal request from HA.

Sure, it is a few more steps to go into the dashboard and the reservation lists, but I think that taking the time to personally request a review is a much better host practice than letting HA take care of it for you.  Most of my guests appreciate the human contact.

droptop Contributor

Hi, all.  It appears the answer to the question is "No."

The first thing I asked CS was if it were possible that a review had been submitted, hence the link -- and any other access point to requesting a review -- had been rendered inactive as a result.  They assured me that no review had been submitted from the guest.  So we proceeded from there and that's when CS provided the information relayed above; information that was confirmed by their supervisor.

Ten minutes ago, in response to my personal note, the guest's lovely, personal review came in.

But Ashvillelookout raises a point many here know well:  Always send a guest a personal request for a review or risk getting impersonal or slightly passive-aggressive, perhaps even pedantic reviews in response, to the VRBO script,  i.e., "The colour of the ocean was bluer than I'd have liked as I prefer a cerulean blue over an azure blue because of the hues, so I gave the owner four stars."  Or, "I found the sun to be hot, but a hot that was less to my liking than the sun in Tuscany, where I was schooled, so that cost the owner two stars."

My apologies for troubling the group with my experience with a perhaps not fully informed CS representative.  All's well with the "request review" button.  Click away!

khs Contributor

I often go on my dashboard and opt out of many of the HA/VRBO contacts with my guests. Not sure but I think you can opt out of them sending a review request and you can do so yourself. I always prefer to be in contact with my guests over and above HA.

I did find that the link I've included in my emails following check out no longer works. It was very difficult to find a direct link to provide guests and simplify things for posting a review.. So yes, they have made it more and more difficult to navigate both for us owners and guests.

1500main Contributor

I can still both see the link AND request a review, but ONLY from the original Dashboard Link that I bookmarked last year.

If I click on the Dashboard icon in the upper left, I get a different page with no Request a Review link.

Try this experiment:

If you go to your DASHBOARD, does the link look like this:

www.homeaway.com/pxe/feed/XXX.XXXXXX.XXXXXXX

(X are numbers, the middle set is your Property ID #)

if so, swap out /pxe/feed/

for this:  /gd/dash/

and see what shows up.